Question regarding Boresight of Mav's

nima2014

I'm just curious how things are applied in real life? I mean, I do not always have a car, tank or whatever on my way to the AO or even no time for headsdown work and I can't think of, that you gonna orbit around your AO or Target and boresight your Mavericks first. So I assume there is a procedure to be done before you leave.....maybe in the weapon arming area, last chance position or anything like that where you boresight your mav's? Anyone has some info on that how the real deal is?!

thanks in advance and cheers

I can't speak for RL, but in the "other" sim, it was generally accepted and taught to use a building in a town or city on the way to the AO. It could even be a structure like a bridge. As long as it was defining enough to recognize it through both optics (TGP and Mav EO), and the Mav could track it.

I'm just curious how things are applied in real life? I mean, I do not always have a car, tank or whatever on my way to the AO or even no time for headsdown work and I can't think of, that you gonna orbit around your AO or Target and boresight your Mavericks first. So I assume there is a procedure to be done before you leave.....maybe in the weapon arming area, last chance position or anything like that where you boresight your mav's? Anyone has some info on that how the real deal is?!

thanks in advance and cheers

Hi,

The AGM-65 mounting procedure induces an unknown amount of misalignment. Misalignment is corrected by boresighting the missile LOS to the HUD LOS.

AGM-65L does not require boresighting due to its wider field of view.

The target used to boresight the missiles to the TGP should be as far away as possible to limit parallax errors.

Missile boresight is most accurate if performed in the air on a realistic target.

The TGP can also be used for boresight but automatic hand-off of a TGP tracked target to an AGM-65H/K is not supported (only possible for AGM-65D/G).

The procedure should be as follows:

1. ICP - Depress A-G button.

2. Left MFD - Select desired format.

3. Right MFD - Select SMS format.

(a) Select desired AGM-65 loaded station.

(b) PRE or VIS submode - Select as required.

© PWR OFF OSB - Depress.

4. Right MFD - Select WPN format; NOT TIMED OUT displayed.

5. HUD - Confirm PRE/VIS symbology.

6. DMS - Forward to select HUD as SOI.

7. MASTER ARM switch - MASTER ARM or SIMULATE (as desired).

8. MAN RNG/UNCAGE switch - Depress (optional).

(a) Missile video activates with NOT TIMED OUT displayed. NOT TIMED OUT blanked after 3-minutes.

(b) If an early uncage is performed, disregard Step 9.

9. After 3 minutes - NOT TIMED OUT blanked. Video is displayed automatically.

10. CURSOR/ENABLE control - Slew HUD TD box over desired target.

11. TMS - Forward to ground stabilize sensor on target.

12. DMS - Move SOI to WPN format.

13. TMS - Left; select desired contrast option.

14. EXPAND/FOV switch - Depress; select desired FOV.

15. CURSOR/ENABLE control - Slew AGM-65 gates over same target.

16. TMS - Forward; confirm target tracking.

17. WPN format - Depress BSGT OSB (mnemonics highlight momentarily).

18. TMS - Aft to break missile track; verify missile LOS boresighted to sensor LOS.

Best regards,

falconbr

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It seems to be a real life case:

-Is it normal practice to boresight the AGM65 on aircraft as opposed to using a ground target?

-The rumors are true! We often boresight the missile while in the air, usually on a wingman... When airborne, with another jet available to lock onto, you can position yourself such that the “target” jet is in the exact right position in the cockpit television monitor. You slew the seeker to the target, lock the missile on it, then tell it “that’s where you’re supposed to be. Wait there until I call you.”

From Quora

• Like 1

I agree that it seemed like a weird feature to implement whilst the MAV/TGP bugs were still happening.  Hopefully as of Wednesday and the new OB release, the improved MAV/TGP behaviour will mean the boresight procedure is less tedius. 

The two videos i've seen (Wags and GR) either use an armoured vehicle at a steerpoint (unlikely to happen in practice) or a  BTR conveniently placed at the end of a runway. Neither ideal, especially in a scenario where you don't have control over the .miz file.

I tend to use little villages or distinct features (costal towns, bridges etc) or in worst case I'll use a target on ingress but at that point I may as well manually slew and lock the target without the TGP.

11 minutes ago, GT_Grifter said:

use an armoured vehicle at a steerpoint (unlikely to happen in practice) or a  BTR conveniently placed at the end of a runway. Neither ideal, especially in a scenario where you don't have control over the .miz file

Sure, but there are usually some friendly vehicles on the field. So I usually boresight the pod and Mavs on the base. The issue for me only if I dont have a steerpoint on my field its a bit uncomfortable to steer the pod for a big angle while Vis submode is unavailable