Low Level Flight

Redragefun

I have noticed that whenever I try to fly the Tomcat low level, 200-500 feet, I have to shove the stick far forward and pin it there, otherwise the Tomcat just shoots up. I know that not every plane likes to go low and fast, best by far are the Viper and the Hornet, but this much stick seems a bit excessive. I have tried different speeds and wing positions and they don't make a difference. I can't hold an altitude lower than 1,000 feet without the plane pointing the nose skyward.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

The faster you go the more down-trim you need to stay level. I imagine you're getting the upward push after diving to low level, where your acceleration is at peak. The other thing you can do is set the autopilot + altitude hold, then press the NWS button when you're at the altitude and speed you want. This will trim you in level flight for that speed, and even if you disengage the autopilot you'll still be properly trimmed.

• Like 1

The faster you go the more down-trim you need to stay level. I imagine you're getting the upward push after diving to low level, where your acceleration is at peak. The other thing you can do is set the autopilot + altitude hold, then press the NWS button when you're at the altitude and speed you want. This will trim you in level flight for that speed, and even if you disengage the autopilot you'll still be properly trimmed.

Thank you, I did not know that.

Until I was diagnosed bipolar, I was on track to earn my PP license, so yes, I have heard of trim. This just seemed excessive for a trim tab to hold.

I have a. F14 autopilot always on 'engage', which solves all the trimming

b. have F14 autopilot Alt always 'up', and I toggle nosewheel engage button 'on' for all straight level stretches, pitch up down for altitude changes, and back to engage for the next straight stretch, no-brainer.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Until I was diagnosed bipolar, I was on track to earn my PP license, so yes, I have heard of trim. This just seemed excessive for a trim tab to hold.

There’s no trim tab. Stabilators don’t generate stick forces on their own so all the trim system does is move the centering cams in the stick itself.

Also, the trim range is pretty huge, over 20° according to the NATOPS.

There’s no trim tab. Stabilators don’t generate stick forces on their own so all the trim system does is move the centering cams in the stick itself.

Also, the trim range is pretty huge, over 20° according to the NATOPS.

LOL, slight difference from the Cessna 172 I flew. Pretty sure with that much of forward stick I would have been in the ground and buried. I have been having fun with it, even managed to shoot something down despite Jester being blind and dumb. Thanks for the the help though, maybe I should read the manual at some point.