Add new M waypoint for BK90 TOO in flight?

Machalot

On 10/7/2021 at 6:15 AM, Maggot said:

Hello!
Could you (or someone else) please give a short explanation on how this is done?
Or maybe point to an explanation elsewhere?

It's described at page 363/364 of the manual, but iirc:

1) Master mode SPA (or to be precise - SPA/MAL to create a markpoint but not track it)

2) Take a radar or visual fix wherever you want to make markpoint (e.g. to save the position of a ship, as the manual states, or to cue your Mavs more easily)

3) The Nav system will select the newly created markpoint automatically. They are marked as M1-9 on the waypoint display thingy on the main instrument panel, except the letters should be red rather than white

4) You should be able to toggle between markpoints by selecting AKT POS/OUT and just pushing the corresponding number on the CK-37 keypad (NOT the waypoint selector buttons)

5) With your markpoint selected, switch back to master mode ANF and your markpoint will be displayed as an empty circle on the HUD as usual, allowing you to put the FP vector there and actually find stuff with that awful Maverick sight.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the brief explanation, that worked a lot better than my previous attempts, only difference is that I got the M1,M2 etc as Yellow and not red, maybe that changed over time to yellow or i'm doing something wrong 😄 but I can switch between the marks pressing 1,2,3,4 etc on the keypad after some tinkering so I seem to be doing something right, now it showed how poor my skills are finding the correct targets and not just finding random stuff with the radar 😄

9 hours ago, Johnny Johnny Johnny said:

now it showed how poor my skills are finding the correct targets and not just finding random stuff with the radar 😄

Here's a nice trick for that: set mode to LIN (linear), and turn marker gain down so that the ground is only slightly visible.
Then most ground units should stand out quite weill.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back to using BK90, how can I mark a TOO "visually"?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

35 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

Back to using BK90, how can I mark a TOO "visually"?

Over fly it and do a SPA fix. It's that or do a radar fix pretty much.

• Thanks 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

15 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

Over fly it and do a SPA fix. It's that or do a radar fix pretty much.

You can also just do a overfly fix in NAV mode and I believe in ANF as well. No need for SPA.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 minute ago, QuiGon said:

You can also just do a overfly fix in NAV mode and I believe in ANF as well. No need for SPA.

Well yes. You could do it that way, but that might screw up the rest of the flight plan. SPA is by far the best for TOO as it won't change any of the waypoints loaded, just add new ones.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 minutes ago, MYSE1234 said:

Well yes. You could do it that way, but that might screw up the rest of the flight plan. SPA is by far the best for TOO as it won't change any of the waypoints loaded, just add new ones.

It won't mess up the flight plan if you do it on target waypoints (Mx), which is exactly what they're there for (same applies to the ST waypoint in the Tomcat btw).
SPA on the ohter hand is intended for reconnaissance, not for target designation.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

43 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

It won't mess up the flight plan if you do it on target waypoints (Mx), which is exactly what they're there for (same applies to the ST waypoint in the Tomcat btw).
SPA on the ohter hand is intended for reconnaissance, not for target designation.

Yes, but then you loose the original target position if you do a fix. Which in my mind is not really desirable for a TOO, but each to their own.

And yes I guess you could press RENSA to revert the fix after you're done with it, but to me SPA sounds like the easier way to do things.

The SPA waypoints to be fair are marked as "M" too.. 🤷‍♂️

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

Yes, but then you loose the original target position if you do a fix. Which in my mind is not really desirable for a TOO, but each to their own.

And yes I guess you could press RENSA to revert the fix after you're done with it, but to me SPA sounds like the easier way to do things.

You can create up to 9 different target points (Mx) in NAV/ANF. I've always used them for this purpose and given the nature of this aircraft they have always been sufficent. They're much more straight forward in use than switching to SPA and using the recce mode for attacks.

2 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

Only measured target points. Besides them there are 3 further types of waypoints in SPA mode (corner and centre points = R, tracked targets = S, Mark points = B).

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think it depends on the specific case. If you're flying a relatively normal mission and more or less following along with your flight plan then sure, the NAV/ANF waypoints work perfectly fine. If you happen to be on e.g. some server where you don't get access to a flight plan that actually represents whatever target of opportunity you want to go for (and can't be bothered to type in multiple WPs because airquake), then the SPA method is the way to go imo.

Edited by TLTeo

This is all great stuff.  I just started getting back into DCS and the Viggen. 
I'm editing the Instant Action Mission: "Beachhead attack" to add anti-ship, Bk90, and gunpod flights to the action.  The explanation of the TOO procedures are a godsend.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

• 7 months later...
On 10/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, TLTeo said:

It's described at page 363/364 of the manual, but iirc:

1) Master mode SPA (or to be precise - SPA/MAL to create a markpoint but not track it)

2) Take a radar or visual fix wherever you want to make markpoint (e.g. to save the position of a ship, as the manual states, or to cue your Mavs more easily)

3) The Nav system will select the newly created markpoint automatically. They are marked as M1-9 on the waypoint display thingy on the main instrument panel, except the letters should be red rather than white

4) You should be able to toggle between markpoints by selecting AKT POS/OUT and just pushing the corresponding number on the CK-37 keypad (NOT the waypoint selector buttons)

5) With your markpoint selected, switch back to master mode ANF and your markpoint will be displayed as an empty circle on the HUD as usual, allowing you to put the FP vector there and actually find stuff with that awful Maverick sight.

New to the Viggen and trying to follow this. If you're not using the radar then what do you press while in SPA mode and when you overfly the target to create the markpoint?

11 minutes ago, Lowlyslows said:

New to the Viggen and trying to follow this. If you're not using the radar then what do you press while in SPA mode and when you overfly the target to create the markpoint?

It's the same buttons to do a visual fix as with a radar fix. The difference is whether the radar is on or not.
If the radar is on, it will do a radar fix. If it's turned off it will make a visual fix, but it's always the same buttons that are used (T1 and TV, maybe T0 depending on your setup).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 minutes ago, MYSE1234 said:

It's the same buttons to do a visual fix as with a radar fix. The difference is whether the radar is on or not.
If the radar is on, it will do a radar fix. If it's turned off it will make a visual fix, but it's always the same buttons that are used (T1 and TV, maybe T0 depending on your setup).

Thanks for the response. I am completely lost here.

I am orbiting over an airfield. I set the master mode to SPA. I click T1, TV, T0 and nothing happens. I read the DCS manual, and the chucks guide and I am not seeing what any guidance for this. 

What I want to do is recon a target area, find the targets, overfly them and then make a mark point, then come back with cluster bombs or mavericks.

Thanks for the help!

18 minutes ago, Lowlyslows said:

Thanks for the response. I am completely lost here.

I am orbiting over an airfield. I set the master mode to SPA. I click T1, TV, T0 and nothing happens. I read the DCS manual, and the chucks guide and I am not seeing what any guidance for this. 

What I want to do is recon a target area, find the targets, overfly them and then make a mark point, then come back with cluster bombs or mavericks.

Thanks for the help!

It would appear that it is a bit buggy. Seems like you need to manually select the waypoint after doing a fix currently. Goes for both radar and visual fixes.

Edited by MYSE1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just now, Lowlyslows said:

Maybe, that or I am not doing this correctly

I just tested it myself, that is how it currently works. I'll report this as a bug.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

15 minutes ago, MYSE1234 said:

I just tested it myself, that is how it currently works. I'll report this as a bug.

Could you explain how you got it to work? I'm not sure of the process. Do you do T1 to ready the system and then TV when you're over the target? After that what do you click? Do I just set SPA on master mode and then click T1?

2 minutes ago, Lowlyslows said:

Could you explain how you got it to work? I'm not sure of the process. Do you do T1 to ready the system and then TV when you're over the target? After that what do you click? Do I just set SPA on master mode and then click T1?

First enter the SPA master mode, then either turn on the radar or leave it off. After that find your target, press T1 to either move the radar cursor, or prepare a visual fix. When the cursor or aircraft is over the target press TV. This will make the fix. To then select the newly made waypoint you click the "1" button on the datapanel. If it's fix number 2 you make you click "2" on the datapanel, etc.. A total of 9 fixes can be made, if you make more than that you'll start overwriting the older ones.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 minutes ago, MYSE1234 said:

First enter the SPA master mode, then either turn on the radar or leave it off. After that find your target, press T1 to either move the radar cursor, or prepare a visual fix. When the cursor or aircraft is over the target press TV. This will make the fix. To then select the newly made waypoint you click the "1" button on the datapanel. If it's fix number 2 you make you click "2" on the datapanel, etc.. A total of 9 fixes can be made, if you make more than that you'll start overwriting the older ones.

Ok, and these are now mark points or am I updating navigation points?

thanks a ton!

8 minutes ago, Lowlyslows said:

Ok, and these are now mark points or am I updating navigation points?

thanks a ton!

They are completely separate from the navigation polygon.

My pleasure

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]