SD-10 pitbull and datalink

festr

Hi,

could someone (ideally from Deka) confirm that if I shoot SD on 35 mile and will turn back immediatelly losing radar lock while another JF17 (linked with datalink) can still see the target - can be the information from datalink or from another JF be used to track /update target until it goes to active? I'm not sure how the SD10 is updating its information from the JF which initiated the launch (is it through the radar somehow or there is some transmission / radio coming from the JF and it cannot be updated/used by another JF?)

When you launch the missile it is flying to a predicted point to hit the target. If you keep the target on radar that predicted point will continue to update making it more accurate. But if you turn away and loose the target on radar then as long as the target doesn’t completely change direction the missile will keep tracking to where it was predicting to intercept allowing the radar on the missile to get close enough to pickup the target and track it again, Remember the missile can also see 60 degrees out the front so it doesn’t need to be pointing straight at it to pick it up again.

However I find if you launch the missile in TWS and loft it you need to keep tracking the target until the missiles nose starts pointing down again or it just keeps flying into space.

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2020 at 7:50 AM, festr said:

Hi,

could someone (ideally from Deka) confirm that if I shoot SD on 35 mile and will turn back immediatelly losing radar lock while another JF17 (linked with datalink) can still see the target - can be the information from datalink or from another JF be used to track /update target until it goes to active? I'm not sure how the SD10 is updating its information from the JF which initiated the launch (is it through the radar somehow or there is some transmission / radio coming from the JF and it cannot be updated/used by another JF?)

Necropost but maybe this will be informative - basically you this right:

Generally any missile using a data-link (let's call it M-link) goes through a specific launch process - all this is very generic IRL stuff, specific missiles may vary:

When you pull the trigger, the FCR:

- Uploads track data to the missile

- Negotiates the missile's M-Link channel (this may already be pre-set)

- Runs all kinds of tests

- Throws the missile off the aircfraft

- The missile now flies, receiving radar energy from the launching aircraft on the rear antennas (this bit is important)

- The FCR generates M-Link data for the missile to pick-up and transmits them between radar pulses, using the radar itself (note, the FCR will cease transmitting the M-Link after the track is dropped or it times out, so reacquiring means you do not get the m-link to this missile back)

- The missile picks up the data and acts accordingly.

Notice here how the M-Link specifically involves the launcher's radar, and both things knowing how to talk to each other.  That means not with anyone else's FCR (you don't want someone else sending data to your missile when they also have a missile in flight, it might send both yours and their missile to the wrong place!)

It is also transmitted by the radar, so you turn it off or turn around the missile will no longer receive anything.

So basically, what you're asking for doesn't happen.  You have to launch a missile for your radar to generate the M-Link, and your missile won't listen to anyone else's M-link deliberately.  This is why you won't see any missile working of an awacs/buddy's data-link or radar.

Not all of the above stuff is modeled in DCS, but it's the basic reasoning why you won't have missiles using buddy's radars or datalinks or AWACS.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda