I have to drop this, something I really don't like about VR

Eldur

It's simple: I don't like - or shall I even say the h-word? - that you can't zoom in with the A or any other button outside of DCS. I constantly try to in other VR titles, and it smacks me hard everytime especially since it's very much needed more than often in the CV1. Another thing is I keep holding the right grip if I want to click something... rdlaught.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Why not just assign the two VR zoom levels to buttons on your stick or throttle?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I use the slider axis on my Warthog throttle as the zoom axis in 2D and in VR.

In 2D the axis is assigned to the Zoom axis in the game itself.

But this doesn't work in VR.

For VR i assign both VR zooms through Target to a range on the same axis.

// VR Zoom on Slider Axis

KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, AXMAP2(LIST(0,15,16,39,40,100), VR_Zoom_Magnifier, 0, VR_Zoom, 0, 0));

So while in 2D the axis works as Zoom axis (and the VR zoom binds are useless) but once in VR this doesn't work and then the VR Zoom binds come into play on the same axis.

Range: 0-15% of axis travel: VRZoomMagnifier, 16-39%: VRZoom, 40-100%: Normal view.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I bind VR Center to my Warthog throttle Boat switch back, forward for zoom, modifier + forward to super zoom.

I would also recommend taking a look at VoiceAttack or PointCTRL device.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Id say the immersion would be a liltte killed by zoom in VR.

when I used the CV1 I used high pixeldensity to sharpen the picture and leaned forward to se some instruments.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

for VR I have Comm Forward / Back as both zoom levels on my warthog throttle. There is no axis zoom in VR.

There isn't but you can make one (sort of) in Target. And it then acts like a zoom axis. Works wonderfull.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

i use voice attack. that doesn't break the immersion... much... and doesn't use valuable hotas buttons.

i have three such commands... center vr, zoom closer and zoom further. works perfectly. For the zoom closer command only... make sure in voice attack to use the "key press" option instead of the default "press and release"., that way you stay zoomed in until you give the command to zoom further.

as an added bonus tip... put these three commands in their own voiceattack file, then use the feature in voice attack that allows you to call that file by name. so, your various profiles like for the f-14, f-18, etc can all call the same common file to handle zooming and any other common commands across moduals. this is optional, but if you have a lot of moduals it's the only way to fly. pardon the pun...

i use voice attack. that doesn't break the immersion... much... and doesn't use valuable hotas buttons.

i have three such commands... center vr, zoom closer and zoom further. works perfectly. For the zoom closer command only... make sure in voice attack to use the "key press" option instead of the default "press and release"., that way you stay zoomed in until you give the command to zoom further.

as an added bonus tip... put these three commands in their own voiceattack file, then use the feature in voice attack that allows you to call that file by name. so, your various profiles like for the f-14, f-18, etc can all call the same common file to handle zooming and any other common commands across moduals. this is optional, but if you have a lot of moduals it's the only way to fly. pardon the pun...

Those two are great tips, thanks.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Could you please describe how? :)

I use the slider axis on my Warthog throttle as the zoom axis in 2D and in VR.

In 2D the axis is assigned to the Zoom axis in the game itself.

But this doesn't work in VR.

For VR i assign both VR zooms through Target to a range on the same axis.

// VR Zoom on Slider Axis

KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, AXMAP2(LIST(0,15,16,39,40,100), VR_Zoom_Magnifier, 0, VR_Zoom, 0, 0));

So while in 2D the axis works as Zoom axis (and the VR zoom binds are useless) but once in VR this doesn't work and then the VR Zoom binds come into play on the same axis.

Range: 0-15% of axis travel: VRZoomMagnifier, 16-39%: VRZoom, 40-100%: Normal view.

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

Could you please describe how? :)

Sure but the answer is in my post you quoted so you did miss something i guess.

You only need this line:

VR_Zoom_Maginfier and VR_Zoom are macro's from your macro file. Have to be defined in the DCS UI layer in controls first and put in the macro file that accompanies the Target script.

This keeps you in normal view when the slider axis sits in the middle position, if you push forward, it shifts to VR_Zoom once the axis range drops below 40% and to VR_Zoom_Magnifier when the axis range goes below 16%.

Moving the slider backwards reverses the process at the same range values.

There is also a Mod on the User Files which gives you a lot more zoom levels in VR... Lange_666 method could even be more refined with a lot more steps.

Currently dooing a similiar thing with Joy2Key, since I dont want to deal with Target. But still needs some refinement.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

There is also a Mod on the User Files which gives you a lot more zoom levels in VR...

I missed this so i looked through the User files (over 11500 of them in total) but somehow i can't find it. Do you have a link at hand?

Thx man!

It's simple: I don't like - or shall I even say the h-word? - that you can't zoom in with the A or any other button outside of DCS. I constantly try to in other VR titles, and it smacks me hard everytime especially since it's very much needed more than often in the CV1. Another thing is I keep holding the right grip if I want to click something... rdlaught.png

i have the Rift S and i use the A button all the time on my right controller to zoom in. so i would think you should be able to do it with the first generation. But maybe not.

I have removed the batteries from my Rift s controllers since I find them useless in DCS. I use the mouse and I have VR zoom mapped on my warthog throttle. Then Voiceattack with Vaicom pro + DCS custom profile. I'm considering pointctrl since using the mouse with the right hand is unconfortable when flying helicopters, and pointctrl is double-handed.

I have removed the batteries from my Rift s controllers since I find them useless in DCS. I use the mouse and I have VR zoom mapped on my warthog throttle. Then Voiceattack with Vaicom pro + DCS custom profile. I'm considering pointctrl since using the mouse with the right hand is unconfortable when flying helicopters, and pointctrl is double-handed.

Same here, when flight simming I just take the batteries out of my Rift S controllers.

They are bad to drain even when not using the controllers.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My English must really suck after seeing the comments here. What I was going to say is that literally all of VR sucks because you can't zoom as in DCS, simply because it's utterly hard to read things in CV1 and I keep pressing the A button which is for zooming in DCS also in other games or just environments like Steam VR, just to find out rpeatedly that I can't zoom there. So basically DCS is what's normal for me... same for the grip button. You have to hold it in order to be able to click things in DCS and I keep pressing it in Steam VR or Oculus Dash all the time when I want to click something rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Sounds like you need to upgrade your VR. ;) The CV1 was great... but the improvements worth it.

You might able to get a 2nd Hand Rift S or a Reverb G1 model now the Reverb G2 is slowely hitting the market.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard