EMCON

oldcrusty

I thought it was implemented already or at least part of it. TBH, I'm not sure if emitting anything other then radar beam makes it detectable by any DCS equipment.

I did a quick test to see if EMCON kills AGR or radar altimeter and it seemed like everything was radiating happily. I have one suggestion though for when it gets implemented: It would be nice to have any 'persistent' indication that the EMCON is on. Currently, the only indication I could see was on UFCP but it disappears after a number of seconds like anything else on UFCP.

In this very short clip I had the ground radar in 'frozen' with a snapshot of a target area... just for looks:)

It can actually be quite useful, once all the ECM and ECCM systems are modelled... Another system that it would silence would be the ASPJ, a system that you would turn on at FENCE check and probably forget about - but I'm pretty sure its not implemented yet either. It will not stop you from transmitting over UHF though... gotta remember that if you're trying to be silent and deadly...

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, evilnate said:

Anyone know if this is implemented currently?

I didn't even bother checking in the last few months but I doubt anything changed. Today's update... I won't even bother downloading. Nothing for the Hornet in it. :crash: 

The current pre-implementation of emcon is just a 'place holder'. I think it's worth repeating from my previous post:  When the EMCON gets implemented, turning it on should show a persistent indication at least on HUD and UFCP. Say you already have your radar on SIL and turn EMCON on after a while, get comfy and 'forget' about it, loosing valuable few seconds of reaction time. Well... you could look at TACAN and notice DME part missing.:happy:   It actually shows that currently.

1 hour ago, WobblyFlops said:

Unfortunately this isn't on the roadmap and Nineline or BN never answered questions regarding this feature on Hoggit. So I wouldn't expect it to come.

Oh well... then again, in the current state of DCS world this wouldn't have any practical use. Are there any sensors in DCS capable of picking up electronic emissions other then radar?

How about Combined Arms? Any other modules?  Speaking of Combined Arms, I have it but never really tinkered with it and I think it might be a good idea to get back to a pancake screen once in a while and try it out.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 6:33 AM, razorseal said:

What is EMCON anyways? I thought it was emergency commo or something. I have no idea lol

EMmision CONtrol. Prevents activation of any radar, radio, T/R TACAN, and 2 way GPS , or other systems that electromagnetic spectrum in radio frequency range. I think that radar altimeter is exempt for flight safety, during low level ingress, or egress. It freezes radar picture like FRZ mode. Used in radio silent launch and recovery of aircraft. Laser emmiters are exempt, becouse of their monodirectionality. But DCS does feature laser warning recievers in some air and ground units. KA-50 for example.

All inter-flight communication is done with flashing Morse code via navigation lights or wing rocking.

According to the NATOPS (section 2.13.5.2), EMCON inhibits:
- IFF
- TACAN
- Radar
- Radar beacon
- Radar altimeter
- 2-way datalink
- Walleye transmission

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

8 часов назад, Xamik75 сказал:

It would be good to have it. I don't think it requires much programming...

There's a switch in F-16 above the Master Arm and Laser Arm switches with RF Norm, Quiet and Silent positions that does exactly that. Norm is norm, Quiet allows emissions from the radar, TACAN and datalink, and Silent disables all the things, radio altimeter and ECM included. So you can say it's pretty much programmed already. You can manually enable and disable the radar on the Hornet with a knob under your right elbow but that's pretty much it AFAIK.

1 hour ago, WarbossPetross said:

There's a switch in F-16 above the Master Arm and Laser Arm switches with RF Norm, Quiet and Silent positions that does exactly that. Norm is norm, Quiet allows emissions from the radar, TACAN and datalink, and Silent disables all the things, radio altimeter and ECM included. So you can say it's pretty much programmed already. You can manually enable and disable the radar on the Hornet with a knob under your right elbow but that's pretty much it AFAIK.

Thats for radar. Radios can still be used. 

19 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

GPS receiver receives and sends data to GPS satellite constellation for very accurate position update. Otherwise GPS transceiver in aircraft is on passive receive only , and needs four satellites (I think).

Where did you hear about this?  There is no such thing as a GPS receiver sending data to a GPS satellite.  All GPS users are passive only, with respect to the GPS satellites. Could you be thinking of something else? Maybe Assisted GPS (A-GPS) which uses an external time source for faster acquisition? 

• Thanks 2

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."