Lancer

Longiron

It's been brought up before, so I'll be brief.

The LanceR is based on the MiG-21MF, not the bis we have in the game. It would require significant rework to make it work in a realistic fashion. The Indian Bison modification (aka MiG-21-93 tailored to India's needs) would IMHO be more feasible, but again, it would require non-trivial amount of work to function properly.

Don't get me wrong, as a Fishbed fan I'd love nothing more than to see those upgraded variants make it into the game (especially the Bison, which can carry the R-73 and R-77). However, M3's basket seems rather full right now. They're focusing on the F4U-1 and F-8 Crusader, so I don't think they can spare the time or the effort to make a 21st century MiG-21 a reality... At least not yet. IMHO if it were to be done it'd have to come as an expansion pack for the existing module (think A-10C II), though that's just my wishful thinking.

• Like 1

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

As much as I'd love another variant of my favorite Soviet bloc airframe, they might view potential returns as being minimal at best. It just might not be worth it in the eyes of those putting in the work to make it. The Fishbed family has some pretty significant disparity between variants in terms of performance, so it's not as simple as just pasting in the existing FM. You might say "Oh that's fine, we can just deal with a 21bis reskin" but DCS standards are pretty demanding and that would be very much the antithesis of what's expected in a DCS module.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Modern systems are what blow out development time and budget on DCS modules (just look at the Hornet or Viper). There's enough different stuff in there that you wouldn't necessarily need to make a full-fledged MF and then add the upgrades, but at the same time you're making a whole new cockpit, totally reworking various systems, adding systems that aren't there, etc. I think a lot of people would like a LanceR but with M3 being the size they are and having other projects, I'd rather see an F-13, PF, or PFM if we were to get another MiG-21 variant - it'd probably be much quicker and cheaper to develop, and flesh out earlier periods of the Cold War (particularly Vietnam, for an F-13 or PF).

• Like 3

Modern systems are what blow out development time and budget on DCS modules (just look at the Hornet or Viper). There's enough different stuff in there that you wouldn't necessarily need to make a full-fledged MF and then add the upgrades, but at the same time you're making a whole new cockpit, totally reworking various systems, adding systems that aren't there, etc. I think a lot of people would like a LanceR but with M3 being the size they are and having other projects, I'd rather see an F-13, PF, or PFM if we were to get another MiG-21 variant - it'd probably be much quicker and cheaper to develop, and flesh out earlier periods of the Cold War (particularly Vietnam, for an F-13 or PF).

Agreed, though if I were a DCS dev I'd go for a late Chengdu J-7 variant. It's different enough from the bis for people not to call it just another MiG-21 variant, it was widely exported so it fits a number of existing maps (Syria, Persian Gulf), it has extensive armament options (those two 30 mm cannons!), it'd pander to the lucrative Chinese market and capitalise on the surge in interest Chinese aircraft have enjoyed since the release of the JF-17... And, depending on the variant, it fits Cold War-style scenarios perfectly.

• Like 3

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Yeah, IDK, I would certainly buy either a J-7 (The later one), or something like a lancer or better yet Bison.

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...

Think the Mig-21Bis is one of the most popular modules in DCS and I keep returning to it time and time again. I sure there would be no shortage of takers for the Lancer or Bison

• Like 2

FC3, F86 Sabre, Mig 21Bis, A10C, C-101, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A18-C Hornet, UH1-H Huey, AV8-N/A Harrier, Mirage 2000c, Spitfire MKix, Me BF109 K-4, Tornado GR4 (one day).

• 4 weeks later...

That's an enormous amount of work (whole second cockpit, MP sync between controls, new external model with whole new nose section, adjustments to fuel load, different systems, different engine, new FM) for an aircraft that is only 'combat capable' in the vaguest sense. I'd rather an F-13, PF, PFM, or even MF. Any of the single seaters would be more relevant, more useful, and about the same amount of work (possibly less).

A 21UM AI or static object would be nice for missionmakers, though, as Soviet fighter regiments always had some trainers on strength.

LanceR, Bison, late J-7 variants, or an F-13. I'd get all of these. MiG-21 is one of the aircraft where you can't have enough versions modeled! Although, I can see LanceR and Bison being slightly on the difficult side to find needed information on, even though they are nearing end of their services. Or F-13 not selling enough to "where is the win button? what is this junk?" crowd. Well to be fair, even I wouldn't get F-13 full price.

Magnitude have their hands full, with fixes/improvements for MiG-21, and development of F4U Corsair and F-8 Crusader. But I'd love Deka's next aircraft to be a late J-7. Or better yet, an earlier/late combo pack!

A late J-7 is an interesting mix of old and new. It is lighter, more maneuverable, but has improved capabilities. The airframe, at least as a base, reverts back to oldie F-13 type one, but with changes. The canopy is even more bubble like, and windscreen is single piece, for overall much better visibility. Wing is enlarged, and is a cranked arrow type, and leading edge of root section is slatted, so it improves maneuverability. Nose cone is smaller than Bis, but houses a modern radar with look-down and air to ground capabilities.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 3 weeks later...