Thrustmaster Warthog Mod to Lighten Pressure needed to Actuate

treasure

Hey guys, i want to make my joystick lighter to throw around. Removing the main spring altogether seems like going too far is it doesnt always return to centre position. greasing it up seems to get mixed results. anyone done anything like this?, can you share your outcome and how you did it? dont want to use an extension.

Sahaj green spring: https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/shop/warthog-green-springs/ Makes it much more reasonable to use. I used it for a while before I moved on to a Virpil base which is an even nicer option (but a lot more $).

thanks for that Rob, can you tell me a bit more about the virpil option? how does it work? i have more money than brains sometimes so i wouldnt count anything out at this stage.

Sahaj green spring: https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj....green-springs/ Makes it much more reasonable to use. I used it for a while before I moved on to a Virpil base which is an even nicer option (but a lot more $).

Went the same direction, with the green spring i still had to much load/friction on the stick (although a lot more enjoyable then standard. For use with an extention the green spring might be right).

So i got me a Virpil WarBRD base instead (just the base: https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-base.html) and attached the Warthog stick onto that. Works super and you can make the Thrustmaster software think it's still a Warthog base.

I'm using the no center cams with default springs on it. Feels like a Cougar with Uber mod. Real smooth!

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Went the same direction, with the green spring i still had to much load/friction on the stick (although a lot more enjoyable then standard. For use with an extention the green spring might be right).

So i got me a Virpil WarBRD base instead (just the base: https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-base.html) and attached the Warthog stick onto that. Works super and you can make the Thrustmaster software think it's still a Warthog base.

I'm using the no center cams with default springs on it. Feels like a Cougar with Uber mod. Real smooth!

i like this option, i dont use thrustmaster software, articles i read said to just use dcs programming. have you tried using just dcs interface without thrustmaster software?, if so what was your experience?

I've never used the thrustmaster software other than for initial setup/update of firmware. You can do a lot of fancy things with it, but for me just assigning everything in DCS was easier and accomplished everything I needed (I'm not afraid to use it, I do a lot of macro programs, just haven't felt the need). The Virpil WarBRD base is much smoother/easier to move than the Warthog base. As Lange_666 said, you just plug the F18 grip in, run the Virpil setup software once to load the appropriate info into the base so it knows it has a F18 grip attached and you're good to go. Not cheap (and plan for 1-2 months to get it) but IMO worth every penny I spent on it.

i like this option, i dont use thrustmaster software, articles i read said to just use dcs programming. have you tried using just dcs interface without thrustmaster software?, if so what was your experience?

Works just fine straight in DCS, no worries there. I just use the Thrustmaster software for the fancy things.

The base comes with 2 sets of springs, soft and normal. The softs are to soft to hold the Warthog stick up (it's heavy, thats one of the reasons Thrustmaster trows in that heavy spring). With the normal ones it still leans forward about 2° or so but that's fine by me once calibrated. If this is a problem, add in a set of heavy springs that they have on side offer. The base comes with 2 sets of cams also, one with a slight center feel, one without. I use the ones without center feel.

Another thing: The Thrustmaster base plate is a lot more heavy and stable then Virpil one although i use Virpil one. You can put the Virpil Base onto the Warthog base plate if needed, just drill 4 extra holes.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!