Are there any improvements that one can make to better the VR controls?

uri

I'm definitely the minority here, but I don't have a throttle, just a stick and I would like to use one VR controller instead of a mouse for pressing buttons and moving switches. The current controls make this really awkward, I have to flip my hand to toggle a switch up/down and sometimes the angle just doesn't make it possible.

Are there any haptic mods? It would be nice to feel something when hovering over a button.

I have Index controllers for reference and would love to use my fingers but even I know that's asking too much.

Just fly using the Touch/Index Controllers..

Can you do push/pull actions with the controllers? For example the Hornet hook, parking brake, or radio channel controls? Also flipping the INS knob is incredibly awkward because you have to move your right hand back and rotate it palm up to move that switch. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing.

scan the site for PointCRTL. Maybe something to consider (if you're wanting to press buttons and click switches, etc)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Can you do push/pull actions with the controllers? For example the Hornet hook, parking brake, or radio channel controls? Also flipping the INS knob is incredibly awkward because you have to move your right hand back and rotate it palm up to move that switch. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing.

In the f-18, you use the thumbstick..

Point and grab, then push or pull the switch with the thumbstick.

I use a razer gaming pad for slew controls, but the f-18 is fully flyable with just the touch controls.

Its hard for two weeks, then its easy. I don't even use my HOTAS anymore- unless im on the harrier..

In the f-18, you use the thumbstick..

Point and grab, then push or pull the switch with the thumbstick.

Thank you, that's what I was missing.

I don't even use my HOTAS anymore- unless im on the harrier..

Hmm how does that work? I find there are still too many HOTAS controls that are just not usable in VR? For example on the f18, how do you slew the cursor, or select a display, or toggle FOV, designate, etc.

Which planes are you flying without a HOTAS? War birds?

scan the site for PointCRTL. Maybe something to consider (if you're wanting to press buttons and click switches, etc)

I've seen this but it's not something I want to invest in. I have really good VR controllers, I don't think I should have to spend more money as crutch because ED isn't willing to put the time in - and to be fair I am the minority here so I understand why it's not a priority.

Thank you, that's what I was missing.

Hmm how does that work? I find there are still too many HOTAS controls that are just not usable in VR? For example on the f18, how do you slew the cursor, or select a display, or toggle FOV, designate, etc.

Which planes are you flying without a HOTAS? War birds?

Firstly- Its not for everyone, you really need alot of focus, and hand-eye co-ordination. Not many people have it and choose to give up within a day..

Secondly- I have Xplane, so VR is a second nature. But originally, i started on DCS VR controls for a bet. Ended up sticking with it thanks to the ease of the F-18..

I also use the F-16, but the controls arent as smooth as the f-18. That thing seems well optimised for VR, but not perfect.

DCS are only just starting to optimise for VR, so Ive a razer gaming pad i use for the more complex controls.

If i need to slew my tgp, select a display, toggle FOV, designate etc, i use that.

Precision munitions requires a little time to set up anyway and now i have a desk free of wires and clutter.. Air- engagements, are set up in VR on the F-18. So if im flying along, i push my a/a mode button, select the missile i want to use, and pull the trigger when ive a lock.. Same goes for aim 9, look at the enemy with HMD, pull the the trigger.

Guns, aim and pull the trigger.

Flying with the touch controls is hard- But only at first, once youve committed to it, its actually gets alot easier. It took me 30 minutes to air/air refuel with my HOTAS, and 2 days with the touch controls..

2 Months ago, there was only 6 of us that did it. Since starting a Discord, we're up to 26.

The younger people seem to take it more competitively than me and my friend do, but im just into it for the fun.

Helicopters are an enormous amount easier too for obvious reasons.. The Huey with touch controls, is the nearest thing to flying a helicopter ive experienced.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark