P-51 Steering

738_driver

Hi,

I understand the method for steering the Mustang, but I can not get the aircraft to turn to the right. All it will do is make left hand circles. The tail wheel only turns in one direction. Yes, I have the control wheel forward to unlock the tail wheel. When I check the rudder movement, It is operating okay.

Is there a problem with the app not recognizing the control input? Doe any one have a solution?

Thanks for any advise and help.

Hi,

I understand the method for steering the Mustang, but I can not get the aircraft to turn to the right. All it will do is make left hand circles. The tail wheel only turns in one direction. Yes, I have the control wheel forward to unlock the tail wheel. When I check the rudder movement, It is operating okay.

Is there a problem with the app not recognizing the control input? Doe any one have a solution?

Thanks for any advise and help.

Let me help with understanding how taxing works in P-51, because i'm not quite sure that you understand it.

In p-51 we have two ways of steering the plane while taxing

1st mode is activated with stick pushed forward, this mode will unlock your tail wheel. Wheel mount will freely rotate (like in shopping chart ), pilot has no direct control in this mode, In order steer plane in this mode require use of left or right brake of the main wheels. Basically if you want turn right, tap right brake gently then some of your momentum will be transferred to rotation movement around your right main wheel, in order to stop this right turn you have to tap left brake.

2nd mode is activated with stick all the way back, this will lock your tail wheel (tail wheel must be aligned with fuselage to engage lock ) but also it allow pilot to steer tail wheel directly with rudder. Tail wheel will turn with rudder inputs but max deflection is limited to 6 degree each side, this allow for easy taxing but this mode not allow sharp turn. It is possible to taxi with this mode if you aim your turn points well.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor