F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

The translation to English  was really poor but I'll try to answer.  I think your saying you're having an issue with trim and pitch control?  You said that you've flow it frequently.  Check your controls settings.  The pitch bindings are unique to the F22 and the default ones will not work.

Nothing I modified affects that.  See the screen shots and information on the original download page.  The link is in the first post.

*EDIT 10/17/21*

Single Player version:

I fixed the issue with missiles occasionally hitting your own Raptor when fired at long range targets.  It wasn't the proximity fuse it was the lofting logic.  Setting an autopilot delay of 2.5 seconds fixed that issue.  All AIM-120 variants updated, proximity fusing still set at 3 second delay.  For a long range shot, the missiles will drop, ignite and accelerate away for 2.5 seconds and then loft to target. 

Tested on short, medium, long and VERY long range targets.  AIM-120D can hit a target >100nm or at 2nm.

Added the CATM-9M, CATM-9X and CATM-120C to the Raptor.  LUA code is set up so that they show up on the aircraft and the weapons panel correctly.  They will not act like live missiles, however if you attempt to "fire" one it will simply explode without doing any damage just like the training bombs do.

These CATM missiles can also be used on other aircraft if their code is adjusted to use them. For example on the F-16C you can add them to it's LUA file and they will show up on the aircraft but not in any of the weapons displays.  So technically, they work even better there as you can't "fire" them at all.

Both versions:

Made some tweaks to the engine and bay pages RPM graphics.  I went back to yellow for afterburner indication.  I don't know what the real Raptor has but nothing else uses orange for anything.  And yellow for "caution" you're in AB using a lot of gas, makes sense to me.  And the EGT already was using yellow.  Adjusted the color and spacing on the weapons bay page so that the word THRUST, which is accurate, fits a little better between the two indicators.  In fact the spacing is now identical to what the engine page has.

Minor tweak to APU shutdown effect for engine start up.  Other versions are in a backup folder where the sounds are located.

Use the link for the Single player or Multi-Player versions in the first post. 

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 3

I wanted to make the SFM page on the PMFD a little more useful.  I combined the information from that page with the main PMFD page and the engine display page.  I find there are times where I want to have something on the other three MFD's and having a modified engine data display is probably the most useful one to add.  All elements are still on the page except the TAS indication.  A backup copy of the previous files are located in the PMFD scripts folder.  Both versions updated in first post.

Previous/Updated:

01.jpg

02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another minor update.  I added the Pitch/Roll/Yaw values to the FCS pages on the right opposite of where the AOA and G: values are.  It makes sense to me that those would be on the FCS page and there was room on the display without it looking crowded.  P: XXX, R: XXX, Y: XXX listed vertically. 

Both versions updated.

A couple of updates today.  Set round mass for the M61A2 to correct values for 20mm rounds.  Increased max G performance to 9G.  Added "clean" option by request for the external pylons.  Allows for remove pylon to be selected and displayed in loadout screen.

image.png

Single player version updated in first post.  External stores add on also updated with current OB compatibility and stores changes.

• Thanks 2

I've updated both versions with a change to the left and right UFD's.  I adjusted the spacing and added IAS/TAS indicators under the BAR/RDR altitude readouts.  So the left side shows BAR/IAS and the right side shows RDR/TAS.

Raptor_UFD.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

I downloaded from the link on the following page (Community F-22A Mod version II 1.24GB) What do I need to do at this point as far as installing the single player mod you offer?

https://fsoutlet.com/f22/#1612905959078-615e2924-b656

I also do not see the thrust vector animation effect (1.24GB version) I'm running latest stable DCS release.

Edited by 72westy

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3296 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

Hello.  Once you have the default mod installed and working.  Download the Single player version from the first post and the optional external stores and liveries also from first post.

The "enhancement" mod replaces files from the original mod in the same location.  Most of it goes in your saved games folder.  The exception being the external stores and the information for that is in it's read me.

Regarding thrust vectoring;  that's just animation from the base mod.  "Currently the SFM (Simple Flight Model) does not even though the animations are in place."

Make sure you read the important information on the original mod page about setting up controls such as pitch and wheel axis.

A few updates today;

Renamed FCS ORIDE to FCS ACM on all displays.  I was thinking that this mode is most commonly used when engaged in ACM.  And it sort of acts like the "SPORT MODE" feature on my Mustang.  The computer allows for more "spirted" performance heh.  So instead of an override for the FCS it's the ACM mode.  No actual changes to the way it operates of course.

That update applies to both Single and Multi versions.

Added another fuel cell option so there are three now.

680 gal, 1220 gal, 1900 gal (a combination of both).  Sometimes you want to carry extra fuel but maybe you don't want the ugly external tanks messing up your sleek Raptor.  It's a choice.

I also reverted back to the original values for the M61A2 cannon.

Added an option to the ME to cold start with the weapons bay closed.  You'll see it on the far right tab when a Raptor is selected.

Adjusted the aerodynamics data to match the stock mod.  The F22 will handle better and losing control will be harder to accomplish.

Several other adjustments to align more closely with publicly available data.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

I just found out about this;  

And this was my public post in that thread just now:

Hello all.  I literally just found out about this video less than an hour ago and watched it.  I know the court of public opinion can be unjust and maybe I'm just kicking over a hornets nest here but I thought I would post my side of the story for anyone that cares.  I'm a 50 year old guy in MN that just happens to be a huge fan of the F22.  First and foremost, I have absolutely nothing but the highest esteem for Grinnelli and his team.  It was NEVER my intention to compete with, disparage against or otherwise infringe on any of their efforts.  Without their efforts we wouldn't have an F22 mod at all right now.  That said.  All I intended to do originally was just tweak some aspects of the F22 mod to my liking.  Things like, modifying displays or making some of the non functional displays do something.  I know it's not accurate, but that's the trouble with a mod of a classified plane, it can never be completely accurate.  And it's not that I think there was anything wrong with the original mod at all.  I wanted to add additional capabilities bases on what information I could find.  In order to do that, I couldn't use the stock F22.lua file due to the encryption.  So I used another modified version of the first F22 mod version as it wasn't encrypted and made adjustments from there.  I based the thrust values on the actual Wiki information for the engines.  The thrust table in newtons is calculated base on that too.  And when it was done and tested, the aircraft would actually supercruise and achieve speeds it was purported to be capable of.  I assumed that the original values were intended to not make the Raptor even more over powered than it already was.  My intention was for single player use, and primarily for my own enjoyment.  Personally, I don't play multi.  The fact is, all of the changes I've made were either modifications of the existing code or some minor additions to graphics etc.  I only shared it out for the purpose of sharing period.  I didn't stand to gain from anything and I certainly didn't anticipate a negative reaction.  And again, the original idea was just making adjustments that I liked for my personal use.  It was NEVER intended to be a competition.  And the aerodynamic performance of the mod to the mod except for the thrust, was based on the first release version.  For any that I offended, I humbly apologize.  Thank you.

So in that thread I've been flat out accused of stealing Ginnelli's mod and claiming it as my own.  This thread here on the DCS mods forum is the only place where anything is posted about this mod by myself.  And no where in this thread have I ever done anything of the sort.  I'm three months late to the party but evidently I was tried and convicted in the court of public opinion already.  It was about that time that I noticed I had been banned from the F22 Discord server.  I had previously been invited to the server by Grinn himself and we had talked about this mod to the mod.  I had no idea why I'd been banned.  So for anyone that cares.....those are the facts.

This particular post is where I first talked about the "enhancement" mod.  And its linked in the first post of this thread.

"As many of you know, I'm a big fan of the F22 and ever since it's re-release on 2/20 I've been tweaking and adjusting things for my own use.  I have no intention of releasing a second version however, I could release a mod for the mod.  I was considering two versions.  One that would be 100% compatible with the stock release of the F22 mod for multi-player and another with additional changes for single player use.  Both would REQUIRE the new version of the base MOD on the first page of this thread."

I've added a disclaimer to the first post.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

Unrelated but semi-related to all of this.

I want to cite some figures and explain how I derived the thrust values I've used in the single player version.

First we'll use the F-15C Eagle as a bench mark.  

From the latest data mine version of DCS which was 2.7.7.14727 here are the thrust values for the F-15 in its LUA file.

thrust_sum_max = 13347,

thrust_sum_ab = 21952,

Those values are in kilograms force or kgf.  If you convert them to kilonewtons kN you get;

130.9 KN

215.3 kN

According to McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle - Wikipedia

• Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-220 afterburning turbofans, 14,590 lbf (64.9 kN) thrust each dry, 23,770 lbf (105.7 kN) with afterburner

Note that's "EACH" so those values are for one engine.  Double those values and what do you get?  

129.8 kN Dry

211.4 kN Afterburner

Pretty darned close to what's in the LUA.

Now, lets check the F-22.  Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor - Wikipedia

Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 augmented turbofans, 26,000 lbf (116 kN) thrust each dry, 35,000 lbf (156 kN) with afterburner

So what's the math on a pair of those?

232 kN Dry

312 kN Afterburner

What does that equal in kgf?

23660 and 31820 kgf respectively.

Here are the lines from the modified F22.lua I'm using;

thrust_sum_max                =    24000,        -- thrust in kgf (235 kN) or 52000 lbf total (12000 kgf / 26000 lbf per engine)            --NIGHTSTORM    13347
        thrust_sum_ab                =    31751,        -- thrust in kgf (311 kN) or 70000 lbf total (15875.5 kgf / 35000 lbf per engine)        --NIGHTSTORM    21952

You can also see to the far right what the original values were.  It's not exact, I could make it exact but its pretty darned close. (I went ahead and did put those values in.  So now it is exact.)

So what I did then for the thrust table was calculate the difference between the original and the actual and then adjusted the values of the thrust table by that difference since it was of course based on the original values.

The end result was an F22 that could super cruise at Mach 1.82 and reach speeds of Mach 2.5.  Which in my opinion is a pretty cool testament to the DCS engine.

I'm not infallible, if anyone see's anything wrong with my information or conclusions PLEASE, point them out.  Thanks!

I updated the single player version with two options for aerodynamic data.  The default is the stock aerodynamics that won't stall as easily but can still pull 30 degrees of AoA.

The alternate version is in a _Backup folder in the mod root and it uses the previous aerodynamic data that will enter the post-stall regime.  This can be useful in some ACM cases and provided you have the altitude to recover you can get a quick kill.  I'm not sure how much of a difference in rate of turn there actually is.  In the stock version you hit 30 degrees of AoA and that's the wall.  The PSR version will let you exceed that but only briefly before you stall and depart controlled flight.

I leave it up to you to use the version you want.

Edited by Nightstorm

I've made another update to both versions.  As I'm sure you know the whole reason that the Raptor carries it's weapons internally is for stealth, and the bay doors only stay open long enough to deploy a weapon before closing again.  The reason of course, is that when they're open, you're less stealthy.  

The only indication that existed previously was on the bay page and you could see which bays are open via the graphic.  If air override was engaged that shows up as well.  

Now, there is a "caution" indicator in yellow on the warning panels that'll read "BAY DOOR" when any of the three doors are open.  This will show up on the left and right UFD's as well as the main PMFD warning display.  In addition, on the System display pages the menu item for BAY will also illuminate in yellow whenever a bay door is open.

This is evident when deploying a weapon, you'll see the warning light up momentarily while the bay is open.  They will illuminate in air or ground override modes as well.

I placed the BAY DOOR warning on the same line as the AAR READY.  There wasn't room for anything else on a separate line and I figured that is the least used warning.  If you do happen to open your AAR door and the bay doors at the same time, the warnings will overlap.

*EDIT 11/7* I added indicators on the SYS page to show which BAY(s) are open as well.  Yellow squares will overlap the white bay select indicators when a given bay door is open.  Both versions updated.

01.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1

So there is the Grinnelli F-22 Mod that is posted on the fsoutlet.com website with a link to the zip file on MediaFire.com.

I also found this F-22 mod on the DCS User Files website: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308095/ . This F-22 mod is also posted on MediaFire.com, but the zip file is titled "VSN_F22+v2.5.4.01" and Grinnelli's zip file on MediaFire.com is titled "Community F-22A Mod Version II", so I assume these are completely different mods. 

Then we have also have Nightstorm's add-ons/changes to the base Grinnelli mod.

Has anyone tried the F-22 Mod that's available on the DCS User Files website VSN_F22+v2.5.4.01?  If so, how does it compare to Grinnelli's?  I assume you can't have both F-22 mods in your Mod folder at the same time.

Regarding the F-22 Mod changes by Nightstorm, does the mod still make the top speed and other flight characteristics far exceed Grinnelli's, as was mentioned in Grim Reapers video linked in a post above? I assume that many of the flight characteristics for the F22 are educated guesses, because I'm under the impression that there is no publicly available E-M flight performance envelope chart for the F-22. 

However according to GR's video, there is publicly available data on the F-22's top speed and Grinnelli's mod is within a knot or two and this mod of the Grinnelli mod exceeds the top speed by something like 20% or so. I forget the exact numbers quoted in GR's video. 

What are your thoughts on the F-22's top speed in your mod vs. Grinnelli's vs. the publicly available data? 

The VSN F22 is a completely different animal and has nothing to do with either of the others of course.  I've not used it personally so I can't speak to it, but I don't *think* it has a cockpit other than the default F15C pit.

A couple of posts up I give information on how I and why I used the thrust values I used in my modified version of Grinelli's base mod.  The values are not just "made up".  They're based on the performance of the engines the Raptor has.  My assumption as to why the default values are lower in the stock mod is that using the accurate values makes the Raptor significantly more powerful than other available aircraft.  Which, in my opinion is also accurate but would make for a poor multi-player balance.  That's why I ONLY intended the modified values to be used in single player.  The multi-player version only changes the displays and such.  It doesn't replace any of the stock weapons or aircraft data.

If you use the stock mod and you try to supercruise at say 40k feet or so it'll top out at ~Mach 1.34.  And in fact if you use sustained afterburner (like unlimited fuel) it will actually reach ~Mach 3.  So those values seem too low for what we know about it's supercruise ability and too fast for what we assume it's top speed is.

When I plugged in the actual thrust values and modified the table by the calculated difference you get the results you see in my modified version.  It will supercruise at about Mach 1.82 and top out at about Mach 2.6.  Those are at an altitude of around 35-40k feet.  That's more consistent with the publicly available information.

I didn't just fudge any numbers there.  I don't know about sustained afterburner at sea level and how fast it would actually go or should go.  For practicality unless you're using unlimited fuel you wouldn't be able to reach those maximum speeds for long.

These are the values I'm using in the latest version and you can see the what the stock mod values were to the right.  They're lower by almost 10k kgf each.

thrust_sum_max                =    23660,        -- thrust in kgf (235 kN) or 52000 lbf total (12000 kgf / 26000 lbf per engine)            --NIGHTSTORM    13347
        thrust_sum_ab                =    31820,        -- thrust in kgf (311 kN) or 70000 lbf total (15875.5 kgf / 35000 lbf per engine)        --NIGHTSTORM    21952

And again here's where and how I got those values;

Now, lets check the F-22.  Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor - Wikipedia

Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 augmented turbofans, 26,000 lbf (116 kN) thrust each dry, 35,000 lbf (156 kN) with afterburner

So what's the math on a pair of those?

232 kN Dry (116 x 2)

312 kN Afterburner (156 x 2)

What does that equal in kgf?

23660 and 31820 kgf respectively.

You can Google a converter, and there are slight rounding errors depending on what you use. "convert kn to kgf"

So all in all, I'm happy with the performance.  I personally think it's more representative of what the actual aircraft can do.  But as with any opinion, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Just some feedback, I've recently sat in a F-22 Cockpit and talked to the ground crew,

The canopy is one thing that gets a serious amount of attention, there aren't any scratches or scuffs on them.

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

7 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Just some feedback, I've recently sat in a F-22 Cockpit and talked to the ground crew,

The canopy is one thing that gets a serious amount of attention, there aren't any scratches or scuffs on them.

Nice!  That had to be a completely awesome experience!  Where are the pictures!? Kidding of course.  Sort of.

That was my original thinking, to not have may or any scratches on them.  Well, in that case, that's an easy fix.  And a fix to the problem that I've never been happy with the scratch results I've done so far.  They always appear "pixelated" no matter what I've tried.  So...remove them....and it's accurate.  I'll make that change to the canopy textures shortly.

Thanks for the information!

*EDIT* Both versions updated with a new non scratched canopy normal.  The scratched version is in a backup folder in the cockpit textures zip though if anyone wants to use it.

Edited by Nightstorm

I decided to revisit the SYS page I created in place of the old checklist page.  Instead of using just text I created new graphics that match ones on the weapons BAY page and used them.  I think the end result came out pretty good.  All three MFD's will display the new version.

First the OLD version followed by some shots of the new one.  The ring around the weapons bay indicators will illuminate yellow when a given bay is open.

Both versions updated in first post.

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

• Like 1

Great work Nightstorm on these updates, especially the MFD improvements.  Looking forward to having a real GPS map MFD someday like on other planes, F/A-18 for example. I know that it's not possible right now of-course.  Big fan of the F22 myself ever since the F22 ADF days! Glad to see Grennelli do this fine work for us and your adds to it as well so we can enjoy the F22 in a modern sim.  Concerning all your data and Cap's GR video on the comparison. I would not worry about it! Frankly as a former Naval Officer, public available data on current active models are at the best: estimates!!!!! Your not altering numbers enough to be considered totally unreasonable here! Besides it's a single player experience.    And after watching some other GR videos by Cap covering fantasy battles this year, and other YouTube videos from other content providers using DCS; It tells me that most these guys at DCS must be from former Eastern-Bloc countries, the bias is obvious! 

Edited by Antibak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 5:02 AM, Nightstorm said:

Hello.  Once you have the default mod installed and working.  Download the Single player version from the first post and the optional external stores and liveries also from first post.

The "enhancement" mod replaces files from the original mod in the same location.  Most of it goes in your saved games folder.  The exception being the external stores and the information for that is in it's read me.

Regarding thrust vectoring;  that's just animation from the base mod.  "Currently the SFM (Simple Flight Model) does not even though the animations are in place."

Make sure you read the important information on the original mod page about setting up controls such as pitch and wheel axis.

With just the default mod F-22 installed I do not see any nozzle animation at all (up/down movement).

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3296 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

14 hours ago, Antibak said:

Great work Nightstorm on these updates, especially the MFD improvements.  Looking forward to having a real GPS map MFD someday like on other planes, F/A-18 for example. I know that it's not possible right now of-course.  Big fan of the F22 myself ever since the F22 ADF days! Glad to see Grennelli do this fine work for us and your adds to it as well so we can enjoy the F22 in a modern sim.  Concerning all your data and Cap's GR video on the comparison. I would not worry about it! Frankly as a former Naval Officer, public available data on current active models are at the best: estimates!!!!! Your not altering numbers enough to be considered totally unreasonable here! Besides it's a single player experience.    And after watching some other GR videos by Cap covering fantasy battles this year, and other YouTube videos from other content providers using DCS; It tells me that most these guys at DCS must be from former Eastern-Bloc countries, the bias is obvious! 

First thank you for your service sir.  I'm former USN enlisted myself.  I was an ET on CGN-40.

Yes, it's true that most of the publicly available data isn't accurate, and for good reason.  We know for a fact, that missile range information isn't accurate etc.  Still, I'm happy to "simulate" what we can in DCS.  The F22 mod is my favorite mod period.  I love some of the other aircraft too, Viper, Hornet etc but ever since I saw the competition between the YF-22 and YF-23 stuff back in the olden days I've been a fan.  Back then, I actually preferred the YF-23 design myself.  I even had a flight sim that was based on the YF-23 though the name escapes me unless it was just YF-23 lol.  This was around '91 or so.  I recall I installed a joystick card into my E7's office PC in the ET shop so that I could play it.  We spent a lot of time on that and the BRAND NEW Microprose F-117A Nighthawk.  The good old days of aircraft sims.  Now DCS is practically photo realistic in some areas and I LOVE playing in VR.

Thanks for the feedback sir.

7 hours ago, 72westy said:

With just the default mod F-22 installed I do not see any nozzle animation at all (up/down movement).

From what I've been able to determine the vector animations only work at speeds of roughly < 300 KTS IAS.  When your sitting on the ground, and you move the pitch axis you should see them move.  Remember they'll only move when you pitch UP and you need to have the correct F22 Pitch axis assigned.  Also, make sure your in FCS ORide/ACM mode to get the most pitch performance.  The mod/flight model doesn't actually have any thrust vectoring of course.  It would awesome at some point to have an EFM that does but for now....this will do quite nicely.

Edited by Nightstorm

"Looking forward to having a real GPS map MFD someday like on other planes, F/A-18 for example. I know that it's not possible right now of-course."

Yea I wish I had the knowhow to make a moving map for the map page.  That's what I'd love to be able to do.  Best I've done is have it determine what map your flying on and add a background map graphic with the compass overlay.

Hey if anyone has any ideas......please share.  And not just about the map.  I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Edited by Nightstorm