F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

15 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

I just realized that on the new MAP page the menu's are wrong.  They need to be the same as the SYS page was.  I'll fix that.

*EDIT*  Fixed.  And I also adjusted the location for the afterburner "zone" on the RPM gauges as they needed to be a little higher to line up with needle.

Both versions updated. 

00.jpg

that's really cool, thanks a lot Nightstorm!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Agim said:

I wish the same speed of ED's updates like yours 😁 ... great work by the way. I download a new version every second day 😁. This is the best DCS mod ... after A-4 of course 😉.

Thanks!  The A4 is an awesome mod.  I think ED should hire them and make it official!

4 hours ago, Fab8ball said:

that's really cool, thanks a lot Nightstorm!

Thanks for the feedback.  And if anyone has suggestions or ideas on how to improve the F22 mod, please share 🙂

Edited by Nightstorm

Originally, the PMFD had a SYS page option.  Along the way I replaced that with a cheklist page "CHK" and then later created a "SYS" page for the other MFD's.  The center one is now a MAP page.  

There is one page on the PMFD that I thought could serve a dual role and free up the SYS page again.  I modified the CONFIG page and integrated it with the Checklist page.  Then I reverted the Checklist page to the new SYS page.  I made some changes to the Bay Door indications on the SYS pages, and adjusted the main menu.  I added a new gray font for the MFDs that I used for the "Dark" options on the config page.

The canopy scratches have been removed based on @SkateZilla 's feedback.  Thanks!

The new more accurate thrust calculations were also added to the alternate F22.lua for the post-stall regime version.

On the ground, you have the config options displayed with the checklist.  And at the bottom center you'll see "CFG" in green indicating you can adjust it.

In the air, once there's no weight on wheels, all of the related config options will not be displayed and the "CFG" will be in yellow indicating it's disabled.

PMFD on the main menu replaced with TEST, it doesn't do anything but it doesn't make sense to have it say PMFD if you're already on the PMFD.

*EDIT*

I've also made one change to the takeoff checklist.  Replaced "LANDING LIGHT OFF" Who cares about that anyway?  With "FLAPS AUTO/DOWN"  Yea....those help, it will take off without flaps but they do help.

Both versions updated.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

I've tweaked the SYS pages for the bay door indication.  I thought it looked too busy at the bottom.  So now it just says "OPEN" in yellow under the bay select section when any door is open.  So it would read like:

BAY SEL > ALL > OPEN etc.

The "OPEN" will illuminate any time a bay door is opened, even when firing weapons.

Of course it's possible to have the ground override engaged which opens all doors even if all doors are not selected.  So I added an indication on the main display that reads GROUND OVRIDE whenever it's engaged, which of course can only be done on the ground.

Both versions updated.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so that "new" ground ovride text?  I thought it would actually look better on the message bar there on the SYS display.

So, I redid that part and added a new texture.  So GROUND OVRIDE will supersede SYSTEM NOMINAL and a MASTER CAUTION will supersede a GROUND OVRIDE.

*EDIT* I added FUEL LOW waring as well to the message bar.  It will supersede the GROUND OVRIDE and SYSTEM NOMINAL but not MASTER CAUTION.  None of the other messages make sense to me to add like Flaps, Speed brake, AAR etc.  And the other failures like Oil, Hydraulics and Canopy will generate a master caution in any case.  Low fuel though makes sense I thought.

Both versions updated.

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

fuellow.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm

I was hoping to figure out a solution to the day/night mode issues.  Even though I've identified the variable day_night and the parameter to display either text or a graphic in night mode it didn't really help much.  I haven't figured out a way to turn something OFF when day mode is turned on.  And the night mode graphics seem strange to me.

For example, I can create a graphic that's just a square and color it the "screen color" and place it over something and then place something else over it and that works great in day time.  That's how the message bar is working on the sys page.  However, in night mode, anything below it all bleeds through, and it shouldn't.  So....I don't know.  

So I created "night mission" versions of those pages where the only graphic that can be displayed in the message bar is the Master Caution.  So, nothing can bleed through but the other messages won't be available in night mode.

I created two CMD batch scripts in the root of the mod to quickly copy the four files that are needed for night missions and then another to put the day ones back.

Night missions are problematic as is because there's no night vision supported by the F-15C avionics and in fact the RADAR, SMS and RWR pages are not even dimmable.  So....that's a limit and I guess this is as good as that can get for night missions.  If anyone has a better idea, let me know.  Thanks.

Both versions updated.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 2

I've done some fine tuning on the thrust values and I'm going to declare victory now and move on.

Public data on the Wiki says:    Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor - Wikipedia

Performance

• Maximum speed: Mach 2.25 (1,500 mph, 2,414 km/h) at altitude
    • Mach 1.21, 800 knots (921 mph; 1,482 km/h) at sea level
    • Mach 1.82 (1,220 mph, 1,963 km/h) supercruise at altitude

The adjusted values I have now:

Mach 2.32 @ 40k feet max speed.   (Roughly 3.1% above the listed performance.  That's within the margin of error at this point.)

Mach 1.82 @ 40k feet super cruise.  - Bang on.

Mach 1.2 @ sea level max speed.   - Close enough for government work!  🙂

Mach 1.06 @ 15k feet super cruise.  - A mid-range altitude for comparison's sake.

Testing was performed in a mission I will attach.  Nothing but an F22 taking off from Sochi headed out over the sea.

Parameters, unlimited fuel ON for testing.  Empty Raptor with 27% internal fuel.

Single player version updated.

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

F-22A_Georgia_TEST.miz

• Like 3

I made some corrections in the F22.lua I still had the older speeds set further up in the file even though the thrust table didn't seem to care.

I think this is about as close as I'm going to get it.  I've tried adjusting values to get it to exact like 1.21 at sea level and 1.82 super cruise on the money but it seems to fluctuate slightly.

Right now it's 2.332 max which is 3.65% above 2.25 but the super cruise is at 1.825.  At sea level it really seems to want to stay at 1.200 or 1.199.  It does odd things, if I increase thrust in certain areas of the table it actually DECREASES the speed.  /shrug.  I'll call this good enough.

When I tried to get the top speed down to 2.25 it drops the super cruise speed to lower than it should be.  So...within the margin of error it is.  I'd rather the top end speed be *slightly* higher than listed.  And besides, based on the thrust information and physics engine, this is what it does.  So, maybe the real one does as well and they just limit to 2.25 to avoid thermal damage to the RAM coating.  Some sources have even stated that it will do 1,600 mph not 1,500.  That's also roughly 1,390 kts.  Right now it's hitting ~1340 so I'm happy that it seems to be accurate enough.

View topic - F-22 RAM Coatings/Limits on speed? - General F-22A Raptor forum (f-16.net)

Single player version updated.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.  It's been reported that after the 2.7.8 update the AIM-120D's are acting "funky" especially with long range lofts.  I'm going to do some testing today to see what I can see.  If anyone else has any issue please let me know.

Related, when it comes to simulating long range missiles in DCS, the only way that I'm currently aware of is to make them go faster.  I have no idea how fast the actual -120D is or how it has the long ranges it's thought to have, all classified of course.  However, if anyone has suggestions on improvements I'd be happy to hear them.  Thanks!

Reduced AMRAMM missiles loft factor by 50% to resolve seeker issues introduced in OB 2.7.8.  Max range of AIM-120D appears to be ~110nm.
Reduced autopilot delay from 2.5 seconds to 2.0 seconds.  Missile guidance will engager after 2 seconds.
Increased volume of internal Vulcan cannon sound effect. 

Changed "AAR READY" to read "AAR DOOR" and changed color to yellow on all displays as it would increase RCS like the bay doors being open.

Tests with a nose hot Su-35 @ 25k feet Mach 1.3 with the Raptor at co-altitude Mach 1.2, successful kill at ~110nm.   That seems to be more accurate then it was.  Also, with the reduced loft factor, a long range >100nm shot at 40k feet resulted in the missile lofting up to 70k feet.  No more sub-orbital AMRAAM's.

Slightly reduced autopilot delay for closer ranged targets.  Increased volume on M61-A2 as feedback indicated it was difficult to hear with "hear like in helmet" turned on.

Some additional updates to bay door open indicators, the code to isolate the left bay worked (on when left bay selected and open only) but it didn't work for the right bay.  The result is that two indicators are stacked up if all three bays are opened.  That's still better than three when all three were open.  So now if all bays are open the indicators are twice as bright.  We'll call that a "feature" and move on.

Both versions updated with relevant changes.

Edited by Nightstorm

• Nightstorm changed the title to F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

Hola Tormenta 

Aparte de agradecerte el grandìsimo trabajo que haces ,quiero consultarte algo ; tengo un Hotas WARTHOG y en este aparato el tema de cabeceo no me lo controla 

He tratado de reconfigurar en el Joystick ese control , y no hay manera que responda 

Me podrìas orientar acerca de ello 

Gracias

22 minutes ago, STABROSS said:

‎Hello Storm ‎

‎ Apart from thanking you for the great work you do, I want to ask you something; I have a Hotas WARTHOG and in this device the pitch issue does not control it ‎

‎ I've tried to reconfigure that control on the Joystick, and there's no way it will respond. ‎

‎ You could guide me about it ‎

‎ Thank you‎

Axis_Options-2.jpg?_ga=2.145252788.10853

See the instructions on the mod download site.  You can't use the standard Pitch control, you must use F22 Ptich.

DCS F-22A Raptor Mod by GrinnelliDesigns | FSOutlet - Flight Sim Outlet

• Like 1

Increased the size of the bank indicators on the ADI pages to twice what they were.  Set the horizon line to yellow.

Completely revamped the fuel pages.  They're now using the full F22 silhouette like the FCS and SYS pages are.  Fuel tanks, rescaled to 66% of what they were to fit.

I found a diagram of the internal fuel tank layout and their names and labeled the tanks accordingly.  Other minor adjustments to fuel page.

Note, you can't actually change the BINGO fuel setting nor select a different feed mode, but if you could, this is where you would.  🙂

Both versions updated.

ADI.jpg

Fuel.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

Hello @Nightstorm, I like your constant update on the project. I have a noob question: what is the difference in the "Single player external stores changes" version?

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

6 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Hello @Nightstorm, I like your constant update on the project. I have a noob question: what is the difference in the "Single player external stores changes" version?

Thanks for the feedback.  (And the reminder to update the external stores LOL.)  The Single and Multi-Player version install into and run completely from your saved games folder.

However, I found that in order for the new missiles to be useable on the external pylons the lua file that controls them needs to be loaded in the main game install folder.  I don't know why, it just doesn't work unless that's the case.

The external stores add-on includes a modified version of the F-22's entry.lua that doesn't load the A2A_Missiles.lua and it includes the required files to load it from the AircraftWeaponsPack folder.  The included readme details everything.

If you don't plan to use external stores or the added missiles on the Raptors pylons then you don't need it.  The default missiles can be added, just not the new ones like the 120D etc.

Stores.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm

I continued work on the fuel pages;

Added RPM & EGT gauges (removed EGT text) It now matches nicely with the SYS page that displays OIL and HYD so with both up you also have primary Engine data.

Rearranged some things to make it work and added a BING FUEL warning.

Both versions updated.

Fuel.jpg

BINGO.jpg

Family.jpg

For those celebrating the holiday, Happy Thanksgiving or whatever you call it where you live 🙂

I've been working on some minor updates to displays.

I had noticed that on the FCS page, the LE Flap indicators would go outside of the scale during high AOA positive or negative maneuvering with the FCS on AUTO.   I've adjusted the code parameters and the scales themselves to compensate.  In fact, during a negative G dive, the LE flaps will actually schedule upwards which is "below" where the zero point was on the stock scales.

I've extended the scales, moved the labels and added a Speed Brake indicator to the Flaps scales.

Then, with all the testing, I realized how difficult it was (for me at least) to read the G and AOA numbers on the UFD.  So, I modified the UFD's by moving and enlarging the G and AOA numbers to the lower corners.

Both versions updated.

FCS examples for speed brake, high AOA pos and neg.  UFD examples before and after.

FCS_01.jpg

FCS_02.jpg

FCS_03.jpg

UFD_01.jpg

UFD_02.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm

A couple of more updates tonight for the Single Player version.

I've been playing around with a modified SFM table base on the F15 SMTD.  I had very good results and it's been a lot of fun to fly.  I wanted to get permission from the F-15 SMTD author before I released the new version.  That's been accomplished.  There are now three versions available for the F22.lua all located in folders under the _Backup folder of the mod root.

Stock = The same FM as the current F22 mod release from Grinnelli Designs.  (Other tweaks such as thrust values still apply.)

PSR = The original version of the FM that I was using that will enter a post-stall regime at high AOA.

Modified = The latest version based on the F-15 SMTD FM.  With the Raptors high thrust to weight ratio, it should retain energy better than it was.  This is now the case.

I've also fixed an error with the AIM-120D's rough material that was causing them to look unusually worn for a fairly new missile.

Single Player version updated.

Thanks to @subaru1572 for the use of a modified version of his F-15SMTD table.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1

I was flying around last night in the Raptor in VR and I thought, "Man, I wish I had a clock in here somewhere. "

So, I started poking around in the code forum and found out that @nibbylot had included a digital clock in his AH-6J EFM demo code.  That mod hasn't been updated for a while so the code needed to be modified for changes to DCS.  I used a modified version of the code in a new file and integrated with the F22.

The code will determine what map your currently on, exactly like the map page does, and it will adjust the GMT/ZULU time accordingly based on the mission time.  The time is displayed in GMT/ZULU and located on the UFD's and top of the Main PMFD page.

Both versions updated.

UFD01.jpg

PMFD.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've modified the PMFD main again to split up the INS/IFF messages and added a local time instance at the bottom.  Most military aircraft I've seen display time in GMT/Zulu but for a "quality of life" addition, I thought it nice to have the local time displayed too.  Tested spacing to make sure everything looks ok with warning messages as well.

Both versions updated.

PMFD01.jpg

PMFD02.jpg

• Like 2

Working latitude and longitude anyone?

With some help from Nero on the code forum we figured out why the code wasn't working.  It's fixed now and definitely working. 

I've also added the clocks to three of the PMFD pages. (Note, the seconds will briefly read "60" before the minute increments and they read 00.  Just the way the conversion script from absolute seconds to mins seems to work.)

Both versions updated.

Navsystem.jpg

PMFD01.jpg

PMFD02.jpg

PMFD03.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nightstorm!

Congrats on your hard work! I'm testing your mod now and it's awesome!

i need edit it myself too ... a specially F-15C HUD visor. Do you maybe could point me where to start?

I'm asking which script/dll is responsible for drawing the HUD contents or maybe how to find it?

41 minutes ago, mrjay said:

Hi Nightstorm!

Congrats on your hard work! I'm testing your mod now and it's awesome!

i need edit it myself too ... a specially F-15C HUD visor. Do you maybe could point me where to start?

I'm asking which script/dll is responsible for drawing the HUD contents or maybe how to find it?

Hey there.  Thanks for the feedback.  Just to clarify, this is an enhancement mod to the original F-22 by Grinnelli Designs 😉.  So it's a mod for a mod 😄

To your question what you'd like to change, we'd all like to change.  The RADAR, HUD, RWR and SMS are all part of the F-15C avionics and as such, cannot be modified.  The DLL that controls them is encrypted and they're not separate LUA files.  That's why many 3rd party mods, unless they contain their own avionics, use the F-15C HUD for air to air and the Su-25 for air to ground.  I'd love to have a customized RADAR display and HUD.

In short, if it could've been done, it already would have been.  🙂

Edited by Nightstorm