F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

On 6/26/2022 at 8:04 PM, MIYF27 said:

What’s Grinnelli’s website?

https://grinnellidesigns.com/

• Thanks 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Does anyone else see weird behavior with nose wheel steering at very low speeds (like 1-5 knots)?  My F-22 will rapidly spin around like a carousel with the slightest of rudder inputs.  I'm still running the older version from last year.

• Like 1

An interesting anomaly.  In the F15, I can export the VSD to a second monitor without any issue.  For the F22, I have exported all 6 view ports to a second monitor and so far, except for one issue, it is working.  When I choose the radar in the MFD, I do not get the VSD.  Rather, I just get what appears to be range circles and the the grid lines for the VSD.  Is this a limitation of the module or am I missing something. 

It seems that the radar page is in the PMFD_Center panel with the lua file being radar_page.lua, but I do not know how to just reference one page in the file for purposes of exporting the viewports in the monitor config file.

Once I straighten this issue out, I intend to add buttons to the view ports by using Helios. 

Edited by sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 3 weeks later...

this mod makes my DCS crash when I go to start my mission. 

did i add the mod wrong? if it helps in my Paint and Loadout screen in the mission editor there is no plane, its just blank 

is it its own file or do i need to add it to the grinelli f22, which works fine

thank for the help 

Edited by DinDjarin
added notes

On 7/15/2022 at 12:28 PM, HawkEXO said:

Does anyone else see weird behavior with nose wheel steering at very low speeds (like 1-5 knots)?  My F-22 will rapidly spin around like a carousel with the slightest of rudder inputs.  I'm still running the older version from last year.

Same.  SU-57 does it too, so probably an update to FC3.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

If my friends and I host a server with the singleplayer version for the flight dynamics and stuff would it work given that we downloaded the same versions of the mod and the improvement? Sorry if this sounds kinda dumb I'm not that familiar with how DCS servers work with mods like this.

On 8/6/2022 at 9:50 PM, DinDjarin said:

this mod makes my DCS crash when I go to start my mission. 

did i add the mod wrong? if it helps in my Paint and Loadout screen in the mission editor there is no plane, its just blank 

is it its own file or do i need to add it to the grinelli f22, which works fine

thank for the help 

Yea, something must not be installed correctly.  It goes into your saved games folder, and it definitely should show up in the load out screen.  This is an add on to the stock mod.  It's installed on top of the stock mod.  

6 hours ago, Jackaroo05 said:

If my friends and I host a server with the singleplayer version for the flight dynamics and stuff would it work given that we downloaded the same versions of the mod and the improvement? Sorry if this sounds kinda dumb I'm not that familiar with how DCS servers work with mods like this.

Yes, if the server is running the same version, it should work fine.  The reason for the multi-player version is that it doesn't make any changes to anything that a server with the stock version would care about.

Edited by Nightstorm

Great works Nightstorm! New to DCS and your mod with grinnelli mod is the reason I got FC3 along with other “full model” 🙂 

Something I notice, when I try to use Radar locking on someone, it always shows “UKN” instead of classifying the aircraft.

When I launch a AIM-120D, it’s great missile which probably overpowered compare to all A2A missile in DCS. But the pitbull time is not showing right on my HUD. Mostly the target was splashed when the timer shows T50 has still ~50s counting down. 

Good to know if it can be resolved! 

@Nightstorm 

Sorry wanna ask a silly question🤪 I found you put the aircraft specifications (wingspan, wing area, length, height, etc…) slightly different with the data from Wiki (which I saw you commented out)  in F-22.Lua 

What’s the intention of it?  Is there a new data source which is more accurate or just an adjust for the performance side?

On 8/17/2022 at 2:24 AM, FlyingAlex said:

@Nightstorm 

Sorry wanna ask a silly question🤪 I found you put the aircraft specifications (wingspan, wing area, length, height, etc…) slightly different with the data from Wiki (which I saw you commented out)  in F-22.Lua 

What’s the intention of it?  Is there a new data source which is more accurate or just an adjust for the performance side?

You know, I don't recall what the reference was.  Obviously, I changed it based on something lol.  As you stated I referenced the original values from the Wiki.  I'll try to dig up what that reference was.  The variance in those values wouldn't have much impact on the performance.

Regarding your other question:  The avionics for the F-15C are used in the Raptor and it doesn't know what an AIM-120D is.  It thinks it's an AIM-120A.  That missile hasn't even been officially included in DCS at this time.  The performance of the 120D is as close as I could get to what is publicly known about it and had some pretty extensive testing by myself and others.  I don't know of way to make the avionics recognize the difference.

*EDIT* I found where those values came from.  They were the values in the original encrypted F22.lua file for the mod.  When I had decrypted it some time back, I used those since they were in the stock mod.  However, I've decided to go ahead and update the single player version with the publicly available data.  Same link in the first post.

@FlyingAlex  "Something I notice, when I try to use Radar locking on someone, it always shows “UKN” instead of classifying the aircraft."

I suspect that's also part of the F15's avionics.  I have an RWR mod that has a lua based data file that I can update so that 3rd party aircraft show up on the RWR instead of "U" for unknown.  I don't know of a similar file for the F15C RADAR.  I imagine if it doesn't know what the aircraft is (3rd party add on) it can't identify it.

That RWR mod is located here:  DCS RWR Symbology (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Edited by Nightstorm

I've linked @Texac 's latest F22 liveries at the bottom of the first post.  Awesome work as usual sir!

Added a pilot texture for the 31st TES for Texac's latest livery.  It's located with the rest under the \Mods\aircraft\F-22A\Textures\_Pilot folder.

To use, just copy it into the livery folder and edit the description.lua to use it.

Both versions updated.

Edited by Nightstorm

Added command for "Cruise Mode" MFD override.  Sets LMFD to ADI, RMFD to HSI, CMDF to VVI and PMFD to SYS

Both version supdated.

On 6/19/2022 at 9:38 PM, EF111 said:

How to turn out the family photograph in the latest version?I can't find the config on the new board...

Look in the read me file, there were changes a while back to how the family photo etc works.  It resulted from being able to add things to the PMFD.lua.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:55 AM, Nightstorm said:

You know, I don't recall what the reference was.  Obviously, I changed it based on something lol.  As you stated I referenced the original values from the Wiki.  I'll try to dig up what that reference was.  The variance in those values wouldn't have much impact on the performance.

Regarding your other question:  The avionics for the F-15C are used in the Raptor and it doesn't know what an AIM-120D is.  It thinks it's an AIM-120A.  That missile hasn't even been officially included in DCS at this time.  The performance of the 120D is as close as I could get to what is publicly known about it and had some pretty extensive testing by myself and others.  I don't know of way to make the avionics recognize the difference.

*EDIT* I found where those values came from.  They were the values in the original encrypted F22.lua file for the mod.  When I had decrypted it some time back, I used those since they were in the stock mod.  However, I've decided to go ahead and update the single player version with the publicly available data.  Same link in the first post.

@FlyingAlex  "Something I notice, when I try to use Radar locking on someone, it always shows “UKN” instead of classifying the aircraft."

I suspect that's also part of the F15's avionics.  I have an RWR mod that has a lua based data file that I can update so that 3rd party aircraft show up on the RWR instead of "U" for unknown.  I don't know of a similar file for the F15C RADAR.  I imagine if it doesn't know what the aircraft is (3rd party add on) it can't identify it.

That RWR mod is located here:  DCS RWR Symbology (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Yes Sir I think so. I had decompiled original F22.lua as well and found those value are the same with yours previous version!  Good update to stick with actual value we know.  For the radar problem yes I think it’s FC3 F15 limitation. If the Raptor flys close enough to the bandit it can recognise the bandit.  Maybe F15 have a setting that the radar need to be in a certain distance to clarity what the hell it is locking and the F22 radar setting is too powerful so we always lock on a “Unknown” target, which flying in F15 doesn’t have this problem as we usually see target within the “range of clarify”

No problem for RWR, got ur mod working like charm.

As we see the SU57 mod have thrust vectoring now, do you think it’s possible to port it to F22 as EFM?

Thanks for your great works!

*EDIT*
Wing area need update as well! 

Edited by FlyingAlex

👍

20 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

Added command for "Cruise Mode" MFD override.  Sets LMFD to ADI, RMFD to HSI, CMDF to VVI and PMFD to SYS

Both version supdated.

Look in the read me file, there were changes a while back to how the family photo etc works.  It resulted from being able to add things to the PMFD.lua.

👍👍👍

Edited by RaptorFighter

@FlyingAlex  "As we see the SU57 mod have thrust vectoring now, do you think it’s possible to port it to F22 as EFM?"

Not likely.  The DLL for any EFM is specific to the avionics as far as I can tell.  So, we'd have to have an EFM DLL with thrust vectoring that was designed for the F15 avionics and even then it wouldn't be tailored to the Raptor.  Grinnelli had one in some state of testing, but I don't think he ever intends to release it.

And yep, missed the wing area.  I'll upload that fix.

Single Player version updated with Wing Area value based on public information.

Edited by Nightstorm

Shame, if we want to play around with VT, we have to fly in Russian iron...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Shame, if we want to play around with VT, we have to fly in Russian iron...

Well, if anyone knows how to create an EFM and compile it for the Raptor, it's not hard to enable it.  The hard part is all of that coding.  My understanding is it's very involved and it would require a lot of testing.  After all, you wouldn't want the thing to fly like a UFO.

The "custom/default" F22.lua file I've got in the Single Player version does allow for 30 degrees of AoA at very low speed ~170 KTS.  You can still over rudder and depart the aircraft, but you can fly extremely small radius circles and you can turn inside most other aircraft's turn radius.

And the thrust table values have been tweaked to give as close as I could get to the reported performance of max mach, supercruise speed, max low alt speed etc.

It's not true thrust vectoring, but it's still pretty fun.

• Like 2

Yeah, playing around it for the time being, and the GS does it again

Dang!

On 8/24/2022 at 6:32 AM, Nightstorm said:

Single Player version updated with Wing Area value based on public information.

I tested with the updated value. Seems it affected the performance a little bit. Supercruise without afterburner seems very hard to do now. It can only keep around 1 Mach at 30k feets attitude without external load.

14 hours ago, FlyingAlex said:

I tested with the updated value. Seems it affected the performance a little bit. Supercruise without afterburner seems very hard to do now. It can only keep around 1 Mach at 30k feets attitude without external load.

Well crap.  That was a lot of trial and error to get it adjusted.  Increased wing area = increased drag.  I suppose that makes sense.  Man, I'll have to rework the entire thrust table.

Corrected thrust table values (still based on maximum thrust values at sea level) for the accurate wing area value.  

Final results:

Mach 1.209 @ 80 feet max speed.   Mach 1.032 @ 80 feet super cruise.

Mach 2.272 @ 50k feet max speed.  Mach 1.870 @ 50k feet super cruise.  

From the Wiki:  Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor - Wikipedia

• Mach 2.25 (1,500 mph, 2,414 km/h) at altitude
    • Mach 1.21, 800 knots (921 mph; 1,482 km/h) at sea level
    • Mach 1.82 (1,220 mph, 1,963 km/h) supercruise at altitude

<1% higher for max speed at altitude, <3% higher for supercruise at altitude and sea level max speed on the money.  I'm pretty happy with those results.

Single player version updated.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 3

Further testing shows that "at altitude" appears to be 50,000 feet.  That seems to be the sweet spot for peak performance regarding maximum Mach number.

Updated thrust table for corrected wing area.  Mach 1.209 @ 80 feet max speed.  Mach 1.032 @ 80 feet super cruise. Mach 2.272 @ 50k feet max speed.  Mach 1.870 @ 50k feet super cruise. (In line with publicly reported figures.)
Resolved issue with SYS page on Left and Right MFD's when switching from the SMS or RWR page and the previous page doesn't clear.
Adjusted "Cruise Mode" MFD override command to set LMFD to SYS, RMFD to Fuel, CMFD to VVI and PMFD to HSI.

Updated both Single and Multi-Player versions with these fixes and changes as appropriate.

• Thanks 5

Thanks for keep this mod better!

• Like 2