What's the best way to control zoom when looking for targets?

Hive

On 1/3/2021 at 6:19 PM, xmudroller said:

I used rotary one on the x56

Hello. I use the rotary too, but sometimes, after i use it, when i release the rotary, the image is shaking. Looks like it is between two levels of zoom.

Don't you have this issue? Have you modified something in the bindings in DCS or in the Logitech software ? 

• Like 2

Hello. I use the rotary too, but sometimes, after i use it, when i release the rotary, the image is shaking. Looks like it is between two levels of zoom.
Don't you have this issue? Have you modified something in the bindings in DCS or in the Logitech software ? 
If there is a potentiometer in the rotary. Maybe it's spiking. Check with some joystick tester. Virpil's is very good.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I zoom all the time, so map 2 directions on the HAT switch most accessible to my thumb on throttle.

Somewhat wastes a HAT, but since zoom is so critical, particularly since my head tracker does not have position control, it's worth it.

I use another HAT entirely for shifting my head position, side to side and up and down. Same reason, but used less than zoom.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 8:10 PM, Tabasc0 said:

I was using the slider, I have the same issues with that, but all my rotaries are fine. I did notice that if you make a profile, its possible in the software to alter the saturation of the axis, which helps, but i still find it wont eliminate it. also, by making a profile you lose the pinkie trigger button as it gets used as a latch rather than a button. i use that pinkie trigger a lot as its ideal position for wheel brake / NWS on the runway, being on the stick you can use rudder fine with it, feels natural to do.

Not familiar with X56 settings but can you not set a small dead zone at the default view level to eliminate the shaking?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I used the rotary on X52 throttle. Because of the stuttering, it was best to create a curve which gives you five separate levels of zoom (five steps in the curve). This way the analog stuttering doesn't matter because it still stays in your selected level. Of course this way you're restricted to the five or so levels of zoom, but it was better than the stuttering.

This screenshot is from an older version, but this is the principle:

image.png

Edited by itn
Fixed the screenshot

I use the thumb hat on my warthog grip. Fwd is bound to "zoom in slow", aft is bound to "zoom out slow" and right is "zoom normal" + center view for trackIR.

I have this consistant in all aircrafts. Works much better than an axis for zoom imho.

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

7 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I use the thumb hat on my warthog grip. Fwd is bound to "zoom in slow", aft is bound to "zoom out slow" and right is "zoom normal" + center view for trackIR.

I have this consistant in all aircrafts. Works much better than an axis for zoom imho.

I do exactly the same

Edited by Yeti42

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

For people using the rotary and having problems with analog stuttering : add a modifier to your axis command, this way if you press the modifier and move the rotary, the zoom will change, and if you release the modifier the stutter will stop.

• Like 4

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !