Heatblur Simulations Livery Challenge

IronMike

So, question....it's been brought to my attention that perhaps I misunderstood. The Submissions thread only -- is that just for screenshots? Or...where/how am I supposed to upload the finished product? We don't really want to submit them in the open thread just right there?

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut

Just fictional skins so far?

Could somebody please do the last missing real-life ones for the B?

Or at least submit, if already created?

Sluggers HiViz

Swordsmen HiViz

RedRippers HiViz

Grim Reapers HiViz

XF-240 HiViz

VF103 Santa Cat 2000 and/or 1996

Thanks

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier

I am working on the VF-32 Swordsmen HiVis as my submission, but its not ready yet.

Thanks.

awesome.

Looking really really forward to it.

Which one do you work on? The one with the dark tail or the one with the yellow tail? The B had those both HiViz.

swordsmen2.PNG.dcaedef1daf30ade4a3d6e6d225c4e1e.PNG

swordsmen.PNG.36937b17e12c26de30e3b3a793177204.PNG

Hoping to see a real-life submission from you for the A and the Viggen too.

Lets see if we get all the missing real-life liveries for the B together, or at least as much as we can.

If after the contest some are still missing, maybe HB will create them by their own and add them.

Thanks again.

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

So, question....it's been brought to my attention that perhaps I misunderstood. The Submissions thread only -- is that just for screenshots? Or...where/how am I supposed to upload the finished product? We don't really want to submit them in the open thread just right there?

To clarify on the submissions:

Post the 7 screenshots as described in the original post. Not 3, not 20, just the 7 please - this gives us a better overview. (We wont disqualify you if it is ten, just, you know, keep the reviewing process in mind. The more condensed it is, the better.)

Please use the mission, so that everyone has the same lighting, we did an autumn evening lighting, because it has more saturated colors and adds a bit of a red shimmer. Thus, keep date, weather and time of the mission.

Additionally submit the dropbox/ etc download link. If you do not want to submit the files here in public, you can just submit the screenshots here and send the files to @ensamvarg as a PM. If you do so, please specify it clearly in your submission post, so it doesnt get overlooked.

Those who already submitted a bit differently: no biggy. You can edit your submission posts/ change your submissions till the deadline.

Important to us is that we get all submission screenshots in the same lighting, thus please stick to the mission. You can change aircraft/ AI all that kinda stuff, except the items mentioned above.

Also, great stuff so far, keep it coming!

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thanks.

awesome.

Looking really really forward to it.

Which one do you work on? The one with the dark tail or the one with the yellow tail? The B had those both HiViz.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tswordsmen2.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t255.7 KB ID:\t7154271","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7154271","data-size":"full","title":"swordsmen2.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tswordsmen.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t395.1 KB ID:\t7154272","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7154272","data-size":"full","title":"swordsmen.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

Hoping to see a real-life submission from you for the A and the Viggen too.

Lets see if we get all the missing real-life liveries for the B together, or at least as much as we can.

If after the contest some are still missing, maybe HB will create them by their own and add them.

Thanks again.

The dark blue tail looks almost exactly like the jet I am working on. Do you know what year that was taken? I do plan on submitting something for the A as well, but not the Viggen, as that template gives me nightmares lol

The dark blue tail looks almost exactly like the jet I am working on. Do you know what year that was taken? I do plan on submitting something for the A as well, but not the Viggen, as that template gives me nightmares lol

The dark blue tail one must be around the operation iraqi freedom era. Early 2000s I believe. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Awesome. The dark one is the better choose of the two. With its 100 it fits better to our 101,102 and 103 of the LowViz swordsmen we already have.

Really really looking forward to your b swordsmen skin. Cant wait to see it.

With your submission we can discard one entry of our list for the B:

Sluggers HiViz

Swordsmen HiViz

RedRippers HiViz

Grim Reapers HiViz

Bedevilers HiViz

Diamondbacks LowViz

XF-240 HiViz

Edit:

Seems that both liveries are from 2005, the yellow and the dark blue one. The blue on was the "last cruise" one.

b.PNG.a32c53a41069b9803ae98c9926cd58f4.PNG

b2.PNG.09bb7bdc6df5fad8233897143336799d.PNG

Maybe someone will do also the yellow one...

@IronMike

I think you might want to clarify the original post then. It says:

Each submission should be presented with no less (but feel free to add beauty shots) than 7 screenshots; front, back, left side, right side, top and bottom of aircraft in full daylight and full view of the screenshot, preferably in 1080, 2k or 4k quality.

To me that sounds like at least 7 screenshots but preferably more. It also goes against using your mission as that is NOT full daylight. IMHO, the dusk lighting skews the real colors of the skin too much, so you don't get the real tones.

There's also this:

These can be taken in ModelViewer or ingame.

​​​

That's not true than, as we are to use the mission provided, right?

Finally, just for clarification, is the deadline 11th January (13 Nov +59 days), or the 12th (13 Nov + 60 days)?

Edited by X-man

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

@IronMike

I think you might want to clarify the original post then. It says:

To me that sounds like at least 7 screenshots but preferably more. It also goes against using your mission as that is NOT full daylight. IMHO, the dusk lighting skews the real colors of the skin too much, so you don't get the real tones.

There's also this:

​​​

That's not true than, as we are to use the mission provided, right?

Finally, just for clarification, is the deadline 11th January (13 Nov +59 days), or the 12th (13 Nov + 60 days)?

You're right. I edited the entry post. Keep date and weather in mission and theatre, of course, feel free to edit the rest to your liking, including daytime. I think that's personal preference, personally I like to see how skins fair in a bit darker setting, because DCS has a bit of a weekspot on the shadow side of things, so to speak. Maybe ya'll can submit a couple different lighting settings during the day, morning, noon, late afternoon.

As for screenshots, as is. You can submit more, what I meant was more not to bombard us with too many, since we have to review them, so pls just keep that in mind. 7 to 15 ish should be ok. The important bit is that you have the seven, the rest is a guideline.

In general, guys, no need to overcomplicate things. This is a fun contest for us all, 11th or 12th, doesnt matter much. Let us orientate for the 11th, and if you then need 1 or 2 days more we can extend it, no biggy. The important part is that you enjoy yourselves, make some great skins, and then we'll pick one for inclusion. :)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

HAWX neither 😉

Shmoo42 is already working on the HiViz VF 32 livery for the B. With the dark tail.

Its the missing 100 to our 101, 102 and 103.

Cant wait to see it submitted to the contest.

Hope we get some more skins for the B to get this list as much completed as we could:

Sluggers HiViz

Swordsmen HiViz

RedRippers HiViz

Grim Reapers HiViz

Bedevilers HiViz

Diamondbacks LowViz

XF-240 HiViz

Edited by Moorhuhn

AWESOME job on the F-14A - NSAWC Adversary Bad Cat.

Thanks for this submission, Jack.

Looks really really good.

Great job.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:28 PM, Moorhuhn said:

Just fictional skins so far?

Could somebody please do the last missing real-life ones for the B?

Or at least submit, if already created?

Sluggers HiViz

Swordsmen HiViz

RedRippers HiViz

Grim Reapers HiViz

XF-240 HiViz

Thanks

+1. Fictional liveries belong in the User Files.

• Like 2

Does anyone plan for VX-4 (F-14A) ?! 

If no , I will do gladly 👨‍🎨

Edited by sadjad-vosoul
  • Like 1

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

22 minutes ago, sadjad-vosoul said:

Does anyone plan for VX-4 (F-14A) ?! 

If no , I will gladly 👨‍🎨

With the Playboy Bunny?

YES PLEASE

AWESOME.

AWESOME.

AWESOME.

Very very awesome news.

Along Shmoo42s Swordsmen skin for the B I am looking really really forward to it.

• Like 1

First of all, also from me a big shout-out to Jack for his absolutely brilliant Bad Cat.

Highly detailed and a great tribute to the men (and maybe women) who flew this one.

Cant wait to see this officially included within the module.

Perfect submission. Thanks, great job.

I think this one and VX-4 are more rar and more insider liveries for the A, which are maybe not on the priority-skin-scope of HB

and at the end without you maybe we had to give them a miss in favor of some more "famous" VF-squadrons.

This brings me to my second point: sadjad-vosoul's VX4 livery.

If you submit this one, I will kiss your feed for it. 😉

Great news. Cant wait to see it.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Nealius:

+1. Fictional liveries belong in the User Files.

Totally agree.

I had already nightmares about placing a cat in the mission editor, wanting to select a livery from the drop down list but cant find the one I needed between the mass of fictional ones.

I mean the canadian one and the Israeli one are looking really good. If you add them to the module, that you can just see and choose it if you have chosen "Canada" or "Israel" as Country, it is ok. This solution is a compromise and wont spam the drop down livery list of USA and Iran.

But in general I would go with Nealius, fictional liveries belong to the user files section.

Please keep this simulation realistic and a tribute to the squadrons and peaple who operate this legendary airframe.

and my last Point @Moorhuhn

Do you mean VX-9 with XF-240?

And please add also the VX-30 Bloodhounds Modex 210 to your B-list.

With this little update I will totally agree with it.

Please also dont forget about the Viggen and fly safe.

Cheers

Edited by CanopyJettison
  • Like 1

It could be argued that test squadrons are less important than fleet squadrons if you want to start controlling what should be in as official skins. But HB are running the competition and they will add whatever they feel would be an appropriate addition to their Tomcats and/or Viggen.

There's also a powerful assumption here that skins that don't get added in this competition will never be adopted and the official skins list is closed off forever.

So maybe if you aren't contributing or submitting anything, just sit back and let the competition run its course?

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Did I offended you in any kind?

If so it was not my intention and i apologize.

Why are you bringing negative vibes into this thread.

I know HB is running this competition. Do you thought, I am thinking its Razbams Competition or what?

I dont get your point.

Why so negative about "skins that don't get added in this competition will never be adopted" and "official skins list is closed off forever".

Why you dont come in here like "Man, awesome submissions so far, hope more to come. The VX4? Awesome! I take it anytime! Hope we get much more squadrons for the A and maybe we could complete the B"?

Speaking about completing the B. There are just Test squadrons missing. All fleet squadrons are already in there. So I dont get this point either. And why should it be in HBs interest to leave something inclomplete? If its coming in the end that the livery collection is incomplete, then it is like it is. But why you have to mention it in this way and try to making the people with hope here sad?

Times are tough enough at the moment with all the virus and so on.

So why you need to bring up negative vibes here?

vor 47 Minuten schrieb LanceCriminal86:

So maybe if you aren't contributing or submitting anything, just sit back and let the competition run its course?

So you want me to shut up or what?

Edited by CanopyJettison
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CanopyJettison said:

It's you that is bringing negative vibes here, basically telling people not to submit their skins because you have a preference for something else. Submit your own historically correct skins if you want, but don't trash on others. 

Edited by X-man
  • Like 1

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

7 hours ago, CanopyJettison said:

Did I offended you in any kind?

If so it was not my intention and i apologize.

I know HB is running this competition. Do you thought, I am thinking its Razbams Competition or what?

I dont get your point.

Why so negative about "skins that don't get added in this competition will never be adopted" and "official skins list is closed off forever".

Why you dont come in here like "Man, awesome submissions so far, hope more to come. The VX4? Awesome! I take it anytime! Hope we get much more squadrons for the A and maybe we could complete the B"?

Speaking about completing the B. There are just Test squadrons missing. All fleet squadrons are already in there. So I dont get this point either. And why should it be in HBs interest to leave something inclomplete? If its coming in the end that the livery collection is incomplete, then it is like it is. But why you have to mention it in this way and try to making the people with hope here sad?

Times are tough enough at the moment with all the virus and so on.

So why you need to bring up negative vibes here?

So you want me to shut up or what?

Did I quote you? It wasn't directed at you, but I think you rather completely missed my point which was that skins that don't win *quite possibly could get adopted anyways* if they meet HB's criteria for accuracy, quality, and historical relevance. You seemed to take my statement and quite literally reverse its meaning.

You should direct your angst higher up the chain at the folks talking about where fictional skins belong and doing all this gatekeeping in every thread about available skins, being able to complete air wings and squadrons, and what they think should be done vs what people are doing. Sure, let's get those VX skins in here cause they're pretty (well some of them). Hell I actually planned to do the rest of the missing Bs at one point but A model news got me back on the war path to try and finish VF-201 and VF-202. Neither of which are finished of course, because there are 3 major iterations of VF-201's line jet liveries, 2 of the CO/CAG jets, and there's a final sendoff scheme to do that's nearly impossible. VF-202 was pretty simple, but they had a lot of awards over the years so trying to pick one cohesive timeframe makes it really tough to do, because you need to try and match the CO/CAG jets to the line jets here and there or they stick out (having the CAG/CO jet with names and E/S award with multiple awards vs a line jet with only one of those awards).

At this point I just want the dynamic MODEX to happen if only just to make the complaining stop. Then half the community will be happy with their one or two color birds and a generic line jet. 

And the other half can join in nerding out about whole squadron packs with 1:1 BuNO and MODEXes and all the little unique details we can cram in based on photos scraped after months of digging through Facebook, Instagram, books, Navy publications, Cruise Books, the list goes on.

I could personally care less what gets adopted officially, I care more about the model fixes and updates that are coming because they relate to the jets I'm *trying* to paint up here. But I guess that's the difference between folks who spend their time making skins versus those that are waiting for someone else to do it for them. I barely fly the jet anyways because between the bugs and the overall feel of the DCS environment right now, I just get disappointed and go back to skinning until stuff gets fixed/added.

The fact that especially the online guys constantly REEEEEEEE about what skins are official (and how they don't fit what they think should be included) is honestly more frustrating than actually trying to paint these jets, and paint them up to the standards of what I expect meets Heatblur's requirements. And if someone has actually taken a crack at painting Tomcat tails in the template, they understand the depth of that comment. There are a ton of complainers on this board with quite frankly zero concept of what it takes in terms of time, research, redoing work, and general perfectionism to provide a skin that actually would make you think Heatblur made it, or even exceed that.

To show I'm not just sitting here talking about skins and not actually doing anything, here's a skin that I think I've been working on or towards since the templates dropped for the B. I spent almost 6 months trying to figure out the emergency canopy jettison stencil because this squadron happened to stencil theirs in a way completely different from any other squadron I could find anywhere, including across a handful of well regarded Tomcat books. Even the guys in the squadron that painted it couldn't tell me because it's been over 20 years. I had to make a best guess based off of the factory stencil's wording and where they could have perhaps taken that and adjusted the arrangement before I got something that at least has VF-201's airframe guy's thumbs up as what they probably did. And almost all photos of this jet are either really far away, blurry, from different times, or are a combination of those 3.

xo45mWR.png

IyxF5vi.png

Hys0zGo.png

Almost every stencil you see there either had to be remade or relocated to be correct for an A model, and particularly this jet around 1998 in the squadron's final year of Tomcats. Finally locating a photo and decal set detailed enough to make out the CAG and DCAG names and callsigns took until sometime this summer. I just got myself back into redoing stencils this week and last week, redoing the MODEX, resizing and relocating the awards (which may get redone, again).

The intake stencils were completely redone about 7 times until I got here, I may do them one more time as I'm still not 100% happy with the angle. They were not as high up as some B models had them, but also they were different than the Grumman standard A model stencils.

The Tails took an exorbitant amount of tries just getting the Texas shape right. Drawing and re-drawing, tracing over photos, redoing it. Then there was the AF tail code, getting those proportions right because hey, they were different over the years since these were all hand stenciled. The stripes took again an exhorbitant amount of tries before I got them mostly happy. I know they are still a wee bit off but if I try to re-do them I might not retain my sanity, even with the helper layer ensamvarg provided.

But hey, apparently we just have to have another Jolly Rogers skin with candy canes instead because one guy rreeeaallllyyyy likes it.

Since this is a skin competition here's the rest of the back lot of skins I still am completely reworking, and competition or no competition plan to offer up for inclusion because if I'm ever actually done with these, they will be down to the smallest stencils and rivets as best as I possibly can.

JdW9cN6.png

c8J1B80.png

EG22F9S.png

Oh, and one of those is "fictional" but I challenge y'all to figure out which one.

Also of importance, my skins can't be "done" and accurate until we get the RWR antennas modeled, the bullet fairing, and the HGU-55s, plus the removal of the external tank pylons.

• Like 3

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

7 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Oh, and one of those is "fictional" but I challenge y'all to figure out which one.

Nice paints brother! Let me guess the fictional: 101 with the Aardvark stripe? 

Great points BTW!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Guys, this competition is meant to unleash your creativity. Prefer historical skins? Great! Prefer fictional skins? Great!

If your preferences are this or that way, pool your ressources, or submit it yourselves, etc. but please respect the creative freedom of others. We do not care about your motive, as long as we get to see some awesome skins and you all get to have some fun. We need to feel that it "fits" is all from our side.

So, encourage each other for both historical and/ or fictional skins, the point of this exercise is encouragement though. 🙂

Thank you and happy painting!

• Like 3

Heatblur Simulations