HP Reverb G2 - What are your thoughts?

hansangb

Got my G2 today. Currently have G1. I hope to fly a quick mission in G1 tomorrow morning - just to see. Then I'll install G2 and have a look. If I get motivated enough, I'll record a through the lens on G1 then G2. Would love to hear your thoughts.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I haven't used it a lot yet, but used it enough to check out IL2, DCS and racing sims and it was enough that I have passed my Valve Index off to a family member because I couldn't go back to it.

The Reverb G2 is so much clearer than the Index. Right now I am just going through the rest of my VR library to see if any have any glitches. Gone through a little over 20 so far and so far, so good.

• Like 3

I haven't used it a lot yet, but used it enough to check out IL2, DCS and racing sims and it was enough that I have passed my Valve Index off to a family member because I couldn't go back to it.

The Reverb G2 is so much clearer than the Index. Right now I am just going through the rest of my VR library to see if any have any glitches. Gone through a little over 20 so far and so far, so good.

Thanks for the info. So excited to hear more. Still haven't received mine yet. Ordered late July. Rift S was my first experience with VR and I just can't go back. Looking forward to the clarity prospect of the G2.

I'm familiar with the Oculus Rift, so my opinion may be biased/ignorant, but I find the WMR/Valve software to be clunky and buggy. It's probably me not being familiar with their software, if your a current valve or G1 user you opinion may be different. The usb c port didn't work. Could be my computer? I thought I had a bad headset cause I couldn't get it to power up so I decided to try the USB adapter and that worked.

The visual clarity is the best but I am getting ghosting, for example when I fly over the carrier and look down the aircraft are blurry, when I move my head in the cockpit the instruments go blurry. I don't have that problem with the Rift S.

I am currently running a 1080Ti that may not be enough video card. I have everything turned down to the minimum, I even went to 100% in the valve software and just stared to maintain 45fps but still had ghosting. I would spend the dollars for a better card but have read somewhere of someone with a 3090 having ghosting.

So my opinion after a few hours with the headset is, "It's okay" the visual is the best but it comes at a price. Bad software, ghosting, high video card requirements. I have had to reboot my computer more in the last day than I have the last year because of lockups, mouse problems, and stuttering. I tried P3d and I was way above the aircraft when I activated VR, buggy software. No problems with Oculus it just works.

I have the latest windows and video software with a fairly recent 6 core cpu@ 5.0 ghz, and 32 gig ddr4 ram.

Regards,

Daniel

I'm familiar with the Oculus Rift, so my opinion may be biased/ignorant, but I find the WMR/Valve software to be clunky and buggy. It's probably me not being familiar with their software, if your a current valve or G1 user you opinion may be different. The usb c port didn't work. Could be my computer? I thought I had a bad headset cause I couldn't get it to power up so I decided to try the USB adapter and that worked.

The visual clarity is the best but I am getting ghosting, for example when I fly over the carrier and look down the aircraft are blurry, when I move my head in the cockpit the instruments go blurry. I don't have that problem with the Rift S.

I am currently running a 1080Ti that may not be enough video card. I have everything turned down to the minimum, I even went to 100% in the valve software and just stared to maintain 45fps but still had ghosting. I would spend the dollars for a better card but have read somewhere of someone with a 3090 having ghosting.

So my opinion after a few hours with the headset is, "It's okay" the visual is the best but it comes at a price. Bad software, ghosting, high video card requirements. I have had to reboot my computer more in the last day than I have the last year because of lockups, mouse problems, and stuttering. I tried P3d and I was way above the aircraft when I activated VR, buggy software. No problems with Oculus it just works.

I have the latest windows and video software with a fairly recent 6 core cpu@ 5.0 ghz, and 32 gig ddr4 ram.

Regards,

Daniel

Hm, I haven't seen that behavior, but unfortunately I don't have any good suggestions either. I had the Rift S last year, the Index this year and now the G2 and it's been smooth sailing so far across multiple genres sitting or standing. I'm running a 2080ti right now but will be upgrading once I see the real world benchmarks of AMD's highest end offering and the Nvidia 3080ti when it comes out.

• Like 1

Regards,

Daniel

1080Ti would be pushing it. But if you search in this forum, there's a post on how to achieve best performance/look balance. Something like "how to achieve 90fps on 1080ti" or something along those lines.

The idea is that you reduce the resolution for the Vive to push. Also, the Rift *does* have better software setup. Not unexpected since they have such a headstart.

The other thing to consider is that you can control things in WMR and you can control things in SteamVR. So it's best to watch some tutorials or the threads here that explain the differences.

I'll add to the thread after I hook my G2 up. I'll tell you one thing...the cable management is a million times better. And it's more comfortable than G1.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well I was going to make some more adjustments in Valve but the buggy hand controllers won't come on now? Thought the batteries were bad so I changed those no joy. Plus the mouse just stopped working, again, so had to shut the computer button down by the power button. Tried win +y and all that, It's buggy.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it more, I'm tired of dealing with it for now. I may return the headset.

Regards

Daniel

I may return the headset.

Please do. I'm sick and tired of the Oculus/Facebook software, that forces you to be a fan of Facebook, and would be very happy to take over your headset. You can ship it directly to me. I'll give you my adress in PM.

Michael

Got my G2 today. Currently have G1. I hope to fly a quick mission in G1 tomorrow morning - just to see. Then I'll install G2 and have a look. If I get motivated enough, I'll record a through the lens on G1 then G2. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Hello hansangb: Tried to follow your Video on You Tube for your thoughts of set up and kind of got lost because the software has changed since January. Any chance of an updated Tutorial?

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Regards,

Daniel

I feel your pain, Burnerski. I went from the Rift CV1 to the Reverb G1 when that first came out, and I was so frustrated with it after a couple of hours of screwing around with it that I almost sent it back. As I said in the main G2 thread, going from the Oculus software to WMR/SteamVR is like learning a new language. Keep at it though. Its just different, and definitely clunky, but with a little perseverance you'll get it figured out like I finally did. Once I got it figured out, I was surprised to see that I actually got better performance with the Reverb because I no longer needed the high DCS PD (I had my PD set at 2.0 with the Rift). I set DCS PD to 1.0 and made sure my SteamVR SS setting was set so it would report a resolution of roughly 2160X2160. Then I went on to turning motion reprojection on and I went from frustrated to amazed. Unfortunately, I had already upgraded my 1080ti to a 2080ti before I got the G1, so I can't say with any certainty whether your GPU is a major issue or not. I can tell you that the upgrade didn't appear to make much difference when I was running the CV1 though. It seemed a little clearer and had more depth in VR, but performance-wise, I had no difference that I could see.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I feel your pain, Burnerski. I went from the Rift CV1 to the Reverb G1 when that first came out, and I was so frustrated with it after a couple of hours of screwing around with it that I almost sent it back. As I said in the main G2 thread, going from the Oculus software to WMR/SteamVR is like learning a new language. Keep at it though. Its just different, and definitely clunky, but with a little perseverance you'll get it figured out like I finally did. Once I got it figured out, I was surprised to see that I actually got better performance with the Reverb because I no longer needed the high DCS PD (I had my PD set at 2.0 with the Rift). I set DCS PD to 1.0 and made sure my SteamVR SS setting was set so it would report a resolution of roughly 2160X2160. Then I went on to turning motion reprojection on and I went from frustrated to amazed. Unfortunately, I had already upgraded my 1080ti to a 2080ti before I got the G1, so I can't say with any certainty whether your GPU is a major issue or not. I can tell you that the upgrade didn't appear to make much difference when I was running the CV1 though. It seemed a little clearer and had more depth in VR, but performance-wise, I had no difference that I could see.

Thanks I'm starting to get it figured out. It was originally set to 200% in Steam. I got it pulled back to 2160x2160 as you stated. How do you turn on motion reprojection? Or how do I know if it's on or off?

The 1080ti may be holding it back. In other words I can't even maintain 45 fps. I was able to get around 45 fps by overclocking the card but it was a choppy 45 .

Thanks I'm starting to get it figured out. It was originally set to 200% in Steam. I got it pulled back to 2160x2160 as you stated. How do you turn on motion reprojection? Or how do I know if it's on or off?

The 1080ti may be holding it back. In other words I can't even maintain 45 fps. I was able to get around 45 fps by overclocking the card but it was a choppy 45 .

This seems to have lots of info.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

@ eaglecash and Burnerski.

Well, as one of the many that right now sitting of the fence, considering paying a big part of my salary if I decide to buy it, and as a DCS lover that I am as well, it would be nice to hear folks that got it already if they feel this headset makes a difference in DCS. In the handling of flying that is.

So you have to excuse me if I think your ranting of setting this thing up is not so important. I would like to hear if you think the end result when it comes to flying is ok or not. In DSC that is. If you have anything to tell us in this matter it would be great.

Michael

Reverb G2:

I had quite the time getting all the moving parts together and working properly software wise.

But OMG, it was so worth it. Incredible picture.

• Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Reverb G2:

I had quite the time getting all the moving parts together and working properly software wise.

But OMG, it was so worth it. Incredible picture.

Thanks Don.

That's the kind of reports I am looking for. Is it worth the trouble and the money if your'e a dedicated DCS'er? Or simmer in broad?

@ eaglecash and Burnerski.

Well, as one of the many that right now sitting of the fence, considering paying a big part of my salary if I decide to buy it, and as a DCS lover that I am as well, it would be nice to hear folks that got it already if they feel this headset makes a difference in DCS. In the handling of flying that is.

So you have to excuse me if I think your ranting of setting this thing up is not so important. I would like to hear if you think the end result when it comes to flying is ok or not. In DSC that is. If you have anything to tell us in this matter it would be great.

Michael

Michael,

I hesitate to make or not make a recomendation to buy the Reverb G2. I'm just an old bloke hanging around the house trying to get better at guitar. What I think is if you don't have at least a current CPU pushing 5 GHZ and a 1080ti you will not be happy with the G2 and DCS. I state this and then someone will say that they have a 1070 video card an older CPU and are happy with the G2. You need, in my amature opinion, is to maintain a solid 50 fps so that reprojection gives you a nice smooth 45 fps. I was able to do that with simple missions, proper settings in Steam, DCS, WMR and overclocking my Video card(1080Ti). From my limited experience if your frame rate drops below 45 any movement of your head will result in "ghosting" or "blurring" of the guages and fixed objects that are traveling by you. I would rather have the Rift S with lower res and screen door effect at 40 fps than the Reverb G2 under 45 fps. There may be other settings like a 60hz rate that allows reprojection at 30 FPS?

I can see right now that I desire a better Video Card($$$) because of the Reverb G2 where as I was perfectly happy with my Video card with the Rift S.

The image in the G2 is better than the Rift S. I can read most writing better in the G2 than the Rift S. I could read most images in the Rift S but may need to lean in closer with some writing with the Rift S. I have not done any dog fighting so can't comment on picking up bogies determining their aspect and so on.

Another thing to consider is there will be a lot more information, better than what I'm posting here, coming out soon about the G2 because more people will be getting them.

Regards,

Daniel

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer Daniel.

I already have the 1080ti and a RiftS. One thing that's disturbing me about the RiftS is the sweetspot I think. My IPS is relative big, 69 cm, and the Rift don't match it very well in my opinion. Therefore I hope the G2 can do the match better, since it have a IPS lever. Ofc, in my situation, not a billionare I am, its very important if the G2 is worth the money for me. That would depend on the picture quality as I see it. If it will be much better than I have for the time beeing, it would be top of my world and very much worth the money. Even if it will be difficult to set up. I reckon that difficulties will be one time problem and thereafter not so much more.

Michael

PS. Sry if I sound a little awkward, but I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks for your answer Daniel.

I already have the 1080ti and a RiftS. One thing that's disturbing me about the RiftS is the sweetspot I think. My IPS is relative big, 69 cm, and the Rift don't match it very well in my opinion. Therefore I hope the G2 can do the match better, since it have a IPS lever. Ofc, in my situation, not a billionare I am, its very important if the G2 is worth the money for me. That would depend on the picture quality as I see it. If it will be much better than I have for the time beeing, it would be top of my world and very much worth the money. Even if it will be difficult to set up. I reckon that difficulties will be one time problem and thereafter not so much more.

Michael

PS. Sry if I sound a little awkward, but I'm not a native speaker.

Just my opinion but the "sweet spot" in the Reverb is more noticeable than the Rift S . It could be the higher resolution causing that effect.

I've messed something up trying to run tests with the G2 - I've always just launched from Desktop Icon, read here that you should launch from inside the WMR environment. I don't have Steam DCS, so do you just launch it from desktop from inside the WMR environment then? Anyhow, when DCS launches now, I get no sound or control menus, view is 1/2 way down the F14. Tried the alt tab and "kp 5" to re center, doesn't work. Now when I disconnect the headset from the PC, DCS won't launch into non VR mode, it just hangs up after the initial launch screen pops up, and the Steam VR panel pops up saying no headset is plugged in. Weird. Tried repair, nothing was amiss. Anyone know what settings I've screwed up here?

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Thanks Don.

That's the kind of reports I am looking for. Is it worth the trouble and the money if your'e a dedicated DCS'er? Or simmer in broad?

I would absolutely! If you have a pretty stout rig especially, Reverb G2 is a simmers paradise. It also has a 60Hz mode for those

struggling with performance, I tried it and it was ok and quite smooth, but I seemed to get a little nauseated at 60Hz.

I did not have much time to spend with it in DCS just yet, will try to get that done around early to mid week.

Might get a chance tomorrow afternoon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|