HP Reverb G2 - What are your thoughts?

hansangb

What I notice is that I am adjusting and tightening the head set for proper accurate view more with the G2 than the Rift S.

What ever that means?

Regards

Daniel

Yeah agree, I like the Rift S halo strap better. Reverb G2's is not bad though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well, I figured this would happen... Just received my HP Reverb G2 (bumped up from G1). Everything ran great for 1.5 days, then problems...

SteamVR locks up when I'm in DCS multiplayer. Sometimes, when the G2 doesn't 'black screen' when jumping into the pit, it will 'black screen' when I press F10 for the map.

Fortunately, my monitor continues to show what's going on. I can press escape and exit out of DCS. No issues when on single-player.

Put SteamVR on 'beta' mode; didn't work, so I put it back and things ran ok until I hit F10 to view the map, while on multiplayer.

This G2 is right off the shelf (new plastic smell)... Hopefully, there will be update(s) to fix this sooner than later.

Everything is updated (NVidia, Windows 10, both WMRs of MS & steam). Wish I didn't have to run steam for HP, but oh well.

I've messed something up trying to run tests with the G2 - I've always just launched from Desktop Icon, read here that you should launch from inside the WMR environment. I don't have Steam DCS, so do you just launch it from desktop from inside the WMR environment then? Anyhow, when DCS launches now, I get no sound or control menus, view is 1/2 way down the F14. Tried the alt tab and "kp 5" to re center, doesn't work. Now when I disconnect the headset from the PC, DCS won't launch into non VR mode, it just hangs up after the initial launch screen pops up, and the Steam VR panel pops up saying no headset is plugged in. Weird. Tried repair, nothing was amiss. Anyone know what settings I've screwed up here?

GMan,

You dont need to open DCS from within WMR. You do need Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR and SteamVR installed though.

When you plug in the headset it should auto start WMR. Open SteamVR (I open mine from a desktop shortcut).

Once they are both running I then open DCS and it starts in VR.

If I want to do anything without flying (i.e. editing missions) I just open DCS without the headset plugged in.

Sometimes the first time I do this it will blackscreen so I kill the process and reopen. It usually opens fine at that stage.

Check your WMR settings as well.

There are options for audio output there you may need to change.

Also check the Headset display page and check your resolution is set correctly - my settings there are : High, 1080p, Best visual quality, 90Hz

I also set input switching to Manually switch using windows logo key + Y as I had some issues with the Automatic setting.

Hope you get sorted.

Regards

i finally got my G2 up and running ok with WMR for Steam VR and Steam VR. Spent most of the day yesterday playing with it and so far so good.

Will try and get some time in testing it with DCS today.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

GMan,

You dont need to open DCS from within WMR. You do need Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR and SteamVR installed though.

When you plug in the headset it should auto start WMR. Open SteamVR (I open mine from a desktop shortcut).

If I want to do anything without flying (i.e. editing missions) I just open DCS without the headset plugged in.

Sometimes the first time I do this it will blackscreen so I kill the process and reopen. It usually opens fine at that stage.

Also check the Headset display page and check your resolution is set correctly - my settings there are : High, 1080p, Best visual quality, 90Hz

I also set input switching to Manually switch using windows logo key + Y as I had some issues with the Automatic setting.

Hope you get sorted.

Regards

Good info but I don't think you need to "open steam vr" I just let windows start WMR and win Y out. Then start DCS normally. A lot of info about steam and WMR is outdated.

i finally got my G2 up and running ok with WMR for Steam VR and Steam VR. Spent most of the day yesterday playing with it and so far so good.

Will try and get some time in testing it with DCS today.

Can't wait to take part of your thoughts. :)

Michael

Good info but I don't think you need to "open steam vr" I just let windows start WMR and win Y out. Then start DCS normally. A lot of info about steam and WMR is outdated.

If you use WMR for Steam VR beta, it will launch Steam and Steam VR automatically when it launches.

Just open WMR for Steam VR and it takes care of the rest.

Going to have a look in DCS this afternoon hopefully with the new G2.

Don B

GMan,

Hope you get sorted.

Regards

I know all of that, I need to find the post, but someone specifically said that if you don't launch DCS from within the WMR environment, it can cause issues. My question was how does one do that when DCS isn't populated in the Steam game selection in the WMR environment due to not using Steam DCS. IE do you just click on it using the hand controller from the desktop screen within WMR or what? I've always done it as described in your post, but I do want to know what this "launch DCS from inside WMR" business is all about.

edit - found it, Imacken posted this in the very long G2 thread:

Another important point Don, is that always launch DCS from within Cliff House. Put on the headset and Cliff House should automatically load and sync, then launch DCS from a desktop window within the environment. I have a desktop window sitting there ready when I enter CH. Click on your DCS icon, and it will load SteamVR and you should be good to go. Although launching DCS from your normal desktop will seem to work, it does cause issues with 6 DOF and mouse control sometimes. Launching DCS form within CH doesn't have any problem.

Imacken is a good member here, and I've always found his posts helpful and interesting, hence the reason why I'm very inquisitive about this.

Anyhow, somehow DCS Open Beta wiped out my config.lua, which was causing my issues. I have no idea how this happened as I hadn't even opened that folder in months. Luckily when I posted my logs from both Stable and OB, an ED rep found the problem. It was odd because I'd tried to repair several times, AND reinstalled. Twice. Yet the config.lua wouldn't repopulate, it only had 2 lines in it. I realize that reinstalling might not have cleared the folder that the config file is in (saved games), hence the repetition of my issue (hang on load), but I still have no idea why it happened in the first place. I was happily recording vid with the G2 in use, next boot up, OB would hang.

G2 is back in business now, it's even better today. I do find that I need to have the strap fairly tight to keep the unit pressed against my face, but the sweet spot is much larger now, and it's pretty easy to keep inside of it.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I use WMR for Steam VR Beta, along with Steam VR.

I launch WMR for Steam VR Beta, it launches and it also launches Steam VR in one fell swoop.

I then put on the headset, and launch DCS from my desktop shortcut on my monitor.

No problems in DCS VR at all, works a champ. At least so far in my testing today.

Don B

I use WMR for Steam VR Beta, along with Steam VR.

I launch WMR for Steam VR Beta, it launches and it also launches Steam VR in one fell swoop.

I then put on the headset, and launch DCS from my desktop shortcut on my monitor.

No problems in DCS VR at all, works a champ. At least so far in my testing today.

I just put the headset on or put my hand over the front and it automatically launches WMR and the steamVR app or what ever it's called. Then just start DCS normally. The only thing I'm activating with my mouse is DCS.

I just put the headset on or put my hand over the front and it automatically launches WMR and the steamVR app or what ever it's called. Then just start DCS normally. The only thing I'm activating with my mouse is DCS.

Correction the steam app automatically starts when DCS is started. I think?

Imacken is a good member here, and I've always found his posts helpful and interesting, hence the reason why I'm very inquisitive about this.

Thanks for the mention!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well, I figured this would happen... Just received my HP Reverb G2 (bumped up from G1). Everything ran great for 1.5 days, then problems...

SteamVR locks up when I'm in DCS multiplayer. Sometimes, when the G2 doesn't 'black screen' when jumping into the pit, it will 'black screen' when I press F10 for the map.

Fortunately, my monitor continues to show what's going on. I can press escape and exit out of DCS. No issues when on single-player.

Yeah I've seen this F10 map issue myself with a G1 reverb on BF syria some of the time. Others have too, I have thread in the bug section if you want to add to it.

In my case its pretty random, aside form that it happens online, which may or may not be relevant as I do 90% of my flying online.

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks Don.

That's the kind of reports I am looking for. Is it worth the trouble and the money if your'e a dedicated DCS'er? Or simmer in broad?

I would be exgremely cautious about buying a Reverb if the price tag is not trivial for you. There are many, many DCS flyers who have found the VR experience to be worse than 2D, and it's a painful discovery to make if you've spent a lot of money to get there. Many of us have the absolute best PC specifications available. If at all possible, buy it from somewhere that allows you to return it, or get some serious hands-on time with your chosen HMD elsewhere.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Yeah I've seen this F10 map issue myself with a G1 reverb on BF syria some of the time. Others have too, I have thread in the bug section if you want to add to it.

In my case its pretty random, aside form that it happens online, which may or may not be relevant as I do 90% of my flying online.

Yes, I do ALL my flying online (openbeta). I'll see about adding my quote to your thread - thanks.

I would be exgremely cautious about buying a Reverb if the price tag is not trivial for you. There are many, many DCS flyers who have found the VR experience to be worse than 2D, and it's a painful discovery to make if you've spent a lot of money to get there. Many of us have the absolute best PC specifications available. If at all possible, buy it from somewhere that allows you to return it, or get some serious hands-on time with your chosen HMD elsewhere.

I was questioning my purchase until I finally got to try it tonight. My experience is with the RIFT (not S) and recently with just using trackIR and a 27”1440pV monitor. I was worried my system wasn’t enough for the g2.

Surprisingly, I found it very playable at first attempts, multiplayer only, so no complicated mission for my cpu to compete with. I was thinking I would neee both a CPU and GPU upgrade, and while that might still be in the cards the existing system works well enough for now, even downtown in PG.

I followed recommendations on the PD=1.0 herein and and making sure no supersampling on steam VR... also followed Thuds recommendations on the nvidia application specific settings.

I was 100 percent expecting to need an upgrade to my 1080ti but was surprised by how it was so much smoother than expected. No way near 90fps, mind you, but I’m satisfied for now...

I found the entirety of the Viper cockpit gauges are clearly visible. I experience no ghosting or stuttering. It’s easier to read my MFDs than it was on my 1440p flat screen. It’s also easier to visually spot ground targets from the air. Compared to my RIFT this is a a significant upgrade. With the RIFT I need to map a zoom key to read the cockpit or lean in, now I just look. What’s really amazing is that and frame rates have not actually suffered because of the PD / supersampling that is no longer needed.

In short, while I’m sure I’ll want to upgrade at a point of my choosing, I can live with my 1080t for now and upgrade when the market conditions are more favorable.

And one more thing. After not flying in VR since June I used the G2 for about two hours tonight and found it to be a better visual experience than my monitor and at the same time my eyes felt very relaxed after using it and it was so much more comfortable than what I was used to.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

I was questioning my purchase until I finally got to try it tonight. My experience is with the RIFT (not S) and recently with just using trackIR and a 27”1440pV monitor. I was worried my system wasn’t enough for the g2.

Surprisingly, I found it very playable at first attempts, multiplayer only, so no complicated mission for my cpu to compete with. I was thinking I would neee both a CPU and GPU upgrade, and while that might still be in the cards the existing system works well enough for now, even downtown in PG.

I followed recommendations on the PD=1.0 herein and and making sure no supersampling on steam VR... also followed Thuds recommendations on the nvidia application specific settings.

I was 100 percent expecting to need an upgrade to my 1080ti but was surprised by how it was so much smoother than expected. No way near 90fps, mind you, but I’m satisfied for now...

I found the entirety of the Viper cockpit gauges are clearly visible. I experience no ghosting or stuttering. It’s easier to read my MFDs than it was on my 1440p flat screen. It’s also easier to visually spot ground targets from the air. Compared to my RIFT this is a a significant upgrade. With the RIFT I need to map a zoom key to read the cockpit or lean in, now I just look. What’s really amazing is that and frame rates have not actually suffered because of the PD / supersampling that is no longer needed.

In short, while I’m sure I’ll want to upgrade at a point of my choosing, I can live with my 1080t for now and upgrade when the market conditions are more favorable.

And one more thing. After not flying in VR since June I used the G2 for about two hours tonight and found it to be a better visual experience than my monitor and at the same time my eyes felt very relaxed after using it and it was so much more comfortable than what I was used to.

:thumbup:

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Yeah Reverb G2 is a heck of a device.

Don B

Even coming from a G1, I can definitely see a difference in the quality of the picture. The colors are all much deeper than they were on the G1. Sitting in the cockpit of the A-10C and looking around, its difficult to describe, but everything has such detail to it now it almost felt like I could actually reach out and touch switches and knobs. As others have reported, SteamVR sets its default SS to 150%, which gives you some crazy resolution (I think in the 4000x4000 range), so I dialed mine all the way back to about 40%, which yielded numbers close to the native 2160x2160 of the G2. Even at that SS level, it was spectacular, amazingly clear. When I get more time on the weekend, I'll do some flying in the A-10C and see how far I can push the SS (also get motion reprojection turned on). The comfort is fantastic. The back of the headband on the G1 had a tendancy to push at odd angles at the back of my head, which gets very uncomfortable after a while if you have super short hair like I do. No such problems with the G2. My only gripe with the things done for comfort is that the G2 may be a little too light, so you have to make it settle into the right place. But, once you get it there, it stays, so it won't be a big deal after I get used to it. The jury is still out on the off-ear speakers. They sound great, but they require the volume to be set at 100%. The redesigned controllers are a big plus with this as well. They don't feel quite as good as the Oculus Touch controllers, but they're close. I don't immediately hate using them, so I might actually feel inclined to learn some of the advanced features that SteamVR has to offer.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks I'm starting to get it figured out. It was originally set to 200% in Steam. I got it pulled back to 2160x2160 as you stated. How do you turn on motion reprojection? Or how do I know if it's on or off?

The 1080ti may be holding it back. In other words I can't even maintain 45 fps. I was able to get around 45 fps by overclocking the card but it was a choppy 45 .

Glad you're getting it figured out, and it looks like the link that lobo** gave you has been updated to match a more current version of SteamVR. If your FPS counter isn't locked at 45, that's a definite indication that motion reprojection isn't turned on. I think setup issues are the biggest thing that is going to cause people to like or dislike a headset right out of the box. You'll get it all figured out, and then you'll be an old pro at it.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Glad you're getting it figured out, and it looks like the link that lobo** gave you has been updated to match a more current version of SteamVR. If your FPS counter isn't locked at 45, that's a definite indication that motion reprojection isn't turned on. I think setup issues are the biggest thing that is going to cause people to like or dislike a headset right out of the box. You'll get it all figured out, and then you'll be an old pro at it.

Fully agree, setup was a big PITB to me and I am certainly not new to VR.

It is fantastic when you get all the parts moving together properly, but can take some time to get it there.

Don B

I must not be locked into motion reprojection because my FPS goes as high as 70 and as low as 20's. Only low FPS occurs on the Syria Map, but not consistently, all single player and missions built by me. I can't find the motion Reprojection switch.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I must not be locked into motion reprojection because my FPS goes as high as 70 and as low as 20's. Only low FPS occurs on the Syria Map, but not consistently, all single player and missions built by me. I can't find the motion Reprojection switch.

With your WMR and Steam VR running, launch DCS.

While DCS is running go into your Steam VR settings - Video.

Click on the Per Application tab.

Set Motion Smoothing for DCS to Enable.

DCS has to be running for it to show up in the settings menu above.

Hope this helps,

Don B

With your WMR and Steam VR running, launch DCS.

While DCS is running go into your Steam VR settings - Video.

Click on the Per Application tab.

Set Motion Smoothing for DCS to Enable.

DCS has to be running for it to show up in the settings menu above.

Hope this helps,

You can add DCS to your VR library no need to be running if you have none steam version just add none steam game then add to vr library.

Then you will see in the setting.

I just got my G2 yesterday and it looks and runs pretty well so far. First impressions are that 1) the fit and feel is MUUUCH better. It fits on my face much better than my G1. It's a tiny bit heavier but feels more solid. 2) Colors seem a bit richer and vibrant. 3) Resolution is a bit better, but not earth shattering better. But that last point might change over time as I use it more. Overall, I'm really liking it and glad I stepped up from the G1 to the G2. It's not a night and day difference, but a subtly better overall feel and look. Probably more correctly a G1.5 rather than a 2.0 generation change.

The good news is I plugged it in and it powered right up and worked on my existing WMR and Steam VR settings. So no struggling to get it to work. It was plug n play but ofc I already ahd WMR and Steam set up for the Reverb G1, so it should have worked as it did.

The only annoyance so far is the right ear audio keeps cutting in and out intermittently. I have to touch the ear piece or juggle it sometimes to get the sound back. But when it works, the sound is really good. Much better than the G1.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box