HP Reverb G2 - What are your thoughts?

hansangb

Hopefully it will be more comfortable and even slightly clearer...was hoping for more FOV, but whatever. :joystick:

It is clearer and definitely more comfortable. But the HP never advertised that it increased the G2 FOV. It was known from day 1 that it was not larger.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Don't get me wrong..... the G2 is better in all respects. It is clearer and the sweet spot is bigger. It's more comfortable to wear. It's just not the quantum leap that a lot of people were hoping for. Having said that, I have zero regrets getting the G2. It was worth the $$. Just don't get your expectations out of line with reality and you'll love it.

I don’t think anyone was expecting a quantum leap from the G1. More a refinement, I would say.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

When you guys get everything lined out...please post all of your settings for DCS, Steam stuff along with system specs. That would be most appreciated by those of us who wait for delivery.

Thanks in advance for the heavy Lifting.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

When you guys get everything lined out...please post all of your settings for DCS, Steam stuff along with system specs. That would be most appreciated by those of us who wait for delivery.

Thanks in advance for the heavy Lifting.

Here you go: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/virtual-reality/7142839-updated-settings-for-reverb-g2-is-there-a-single-source-reference-anywhere?p=7149670#post7149670

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Gracias! I've been tinkering, and appreciate the link!

De nada. Keep in mind that these settings work for my system. Everyone is going to be slightly different. But hopefully it's a good starting point.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my new HP Reverb G2 last week and I have been struggling a lot to get it working in DCS (SteamVR version). After various tries on options, finally it runs but the image is a bit blurry, and not crystal clear. It is as if "two programmes" were sending the same image at the same time but with a tiny difference in time.

The buildings do not look clear but a bit blurry. It is as when you are in a hot day in a road, and the road and everything around looks blurry. Well, that is what I am seeing in DCS with the Reverb G2.  Not what I was expecting from the videos I have seen of people playing with the G2.

I have just found a discussion in which using a Debug tool may help, so that is my next step. 

I believe I have a very decent machine, so at the moment I am very dissapointed. My specs are: Intel i9-10900K, NVIDIA 3080, 32GB RAM

Edited by john_e_alarcon

New G2 initial impressions upgrading from G1. I like everything about it: Improved cabling and comfort. Noticeably improved color rendering. Sweet spot improvement is frankly not that much. Res still the same great clarity as G1 and FOV no change. A prospective buyer must decide if cabling, comfort and better color are worth the price.

Received mine yesterday, the image looks a bit sharper and the sweet spot seems a bit bigger.. the colors seem a bit better but was expecting more difference in this regard. The cable and the earphones are a lot better. Have done performance comparisons between both and the G2 is marginally more demanding at the same resolution, nothing to worry about. The good part is that at least until now i can't see the borders of the screen like in the G1, need to try the face cover mod..

16 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

New G2 initial impressions upgrading from G1. I like everything about it: Improved cabling and comfort. Noticeably improved color rendering. Sweet spot improvement is frankly not that much. Res still the same great clarity as G1 and FOV no change. A prospective buyer must decide if cabling, comfort and better color are worth the price.

I would add vastly improved tracking to this. My chair is in a dimly lit corner with a wall next to it. If I look on the wall side to check six in the G1 or look down at the console, the tracking shifts drastically. This drove me absolutely nuts. The G2 so far has been absolutely spot on, so was worth the upgrade to me for this alone. 

Also the 3090 I bought compliments the headset perfectly and is a great match in DCS for the resolution of these headsets. 

Edited by oz555

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

16 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

I would add much better tracking, audio and controllers to your list.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

+1

would agree, the tracking, stock audio, and controllers are solid.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 12/20/2020 at 4:39 PM, john_e_alarcon said:

I received my new HP Reverb G2 last week and I have been struggling a lot to get it working in DCS (SteamVR version). After various tries on options, finally it runs but the image is a bit blurry, and not crystal clear. It is as if "two programmes" were sending the same image at the same time but with a tiny difference in time.

The buildings do not look clear but a bit blurry. It is as when you are in a hot day in a road, and the road and everything around looks blurry. Well, that is what I am seeing in DCS with the Reverb G2.  Not what I was expecting from the videos I have seen of people playing with the G2.

I have just found a discussion in which using a Debug tool may help, so that is my next step. 

I believe I have a very decent machine, so at the moment I am very dissapointed. My specs are: Intel i9-10900K, NVIDIA 3080, 32GB RAM

I had something similar with my G2 headset when I first used it (came from G1) , indeed I could not even read the DCS FPS count unless I looked directly at it. Everything was blurry. 

Deleting my fxo and metashaders 2 files and then a full system reboot seemed to clean up the image and made everything much sharper.

Now I can read the FPS count whilst it is in the top left periphery.

Tracking is much better which makes it easier to activate rear bulkhead power switches behind the pilots right side in the KA-50, even flipping switches on the low side consoles are very much improved due to the tracking.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I would happily give back my G2 for my index of just the picture of the later would be a little more like the G2. For the rest, I consider the index better in every department.

Anyhow..

Modding for FOV was a good move, feels even more comfortable now.

Running her in roughly 65% which gives some performance improvement compared to the 150 of the index while prominent more clear.

Guess I have to wait for the index 2,if ever....

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk