Mission 12 - Can't shoot

JaZzBrE

Hey guys, I'm on latest beta and have retried mission 12 for about 3 times already but when the bandits shoot on me I can't shoot back.

Not with guns, not with amraams, nothing. But the funny thing is, I can shoot right after I take off. I tried other a2a missions and it works fine.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

J

Another weekend another try. This time I again couldn't shoot, then I spammed the SPACE button so that Flip said all this "Slash one" etc and after that I was able to shoot.

That was when all the enemies were downed though. And then I said OK, let me just get on with this mission and finish it, and when the F14 commit was called I went towards them but they just bugged off.

And then after a while my wingman just disappeared. :| I'll just go get some fuel and land and hopefully the mission will end anyway.

:cry:

J

• 2 weeks later...

Mission 12 is near impossible without being shot down. Both me and my wingman got shut down every time. AI seems overwhelmed very quickly. The  24s evade every missiles I shot at them in range about 20 nm or less, hot aspect.

Will try later this week.

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 7:01 PM, JaZzBrE said:

Hey guys, I'm on latest beta and have retried mission 12 for about 3 times already but when the bandits shoot on me I can't shoot back.

Not with guns, not with amraams, nothing. But the funny thing is, I can shoot right after I take off. I tried other a2a missions and it works fine.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

J

Same here, a couple of times I managed to shoot the 1st AMRAAM and splash the first bandit, after that, when the enemies come closer and I switched to Sidewinders or Guns I cannot shoot anymore. Nor AIM 9 or AIM 120 or Guns. Coupling this problem with the losing locks of the F-18's A/A radar that afflict the simulator after the latest updates makes this 12th mission basically unplayable.

• 4 weeks later...

Having the same problem as OP - didn't get to Tomcat phase yet because only tried once so far:

I think the problem here is related to the double bind of trigger (used for fox3) and voice command - spacebar for each.
It appeared to work out fine in previous missions, but with this it first appears to spool through all the "Splash one" lines before allowing me to fire, which needless to say hit me by surprise. Is there any solution to this?

Hornet is vanilla, only mod is an altered FLOLS.lua for the supercarrier disabling that annoying pop up when coming into the groove.

Overall i REALLY like the campaign, but incidents like this one or others in previous missions (tanker refusing to AAR or different info in brief and kneeboard for example) leading to retries really feel like a let down, specially considering the long time these missions take. I'd also like to see more double ugly loadouts when carrying the TGP, but that's off topic..

I got so tired of hitting the space bar while in VR (I don't normally have my keyboard handy at all) that I made a voice command in VoiceAttack (which I use along with Vaicom, would highly recommend!).  So now I just say "Spacebar" and it presses space.  I guess I could change it to something that sounds cooler, like "Check", but the point is it made the campaign a lot easier in VR, and is actually great in any other missions like training that use spacebar.

Thanks guys for your feedback. I may remove the reports about shooting down the bandits all together, the immersion will get a hit, but at least it should work better. I may also just assign those calls to some of the kills, even if they wouldn't match exactly what happened. I am fully aware that SPACE BAR may be tiresome in this mission, but it still is better than F10 would be I guess... I'll look into this and try to update. 

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

On 3/15/2021 at 11:25 AM, baltic_dragon said:

Thanks guys for your feedback. I may remove the reports about shooting down the bandits all together, the immersion will get a hit, but at least it should work better. I may also just assign those calls to some of the kills, even if they wouldn't match exactly what happened. I am fully aware that SPACE BAR may be tiresome in this mission, but it still is better than F10 would be I guess... I'll look into this and try to update. 

Thanks a lot for looking into this!

I don't think spacebar is particularly tiresome as the magic works out fine in previous missions. I suspect DCS has a hard time detecting the users intend in this one - it's a bit more clear and appears less "dynamic" in previous missions (from a user's perspective), but whatever you have to do to fix / work around this issue. 

I will just start to fly OP Pontus and return back to the gulf after an update to finish this one off.

Edited by theIRIEone

• 5 months later...
On 3/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, baltic_dragon said:

Working on it now + updating the whole campaign for new clouds 🙂 also I think I found a reason why F-14s wouldn't engage sometimes. 

Hi @baltic_dragon,

I think I have the same problem. I cannot fire weapons until I press spacebar a number of times...This makes it really messy.

The default 2nd trigger on the Hornet is mapped to the spacebar.

Thank you