What is Hard Deck for Airshow Displays and size of the 'Box'?

CommandT

Hi folks, trying to find some info on this. Specifically relating to fighter jet demos.

What is the hard deck for airshow displays and what are the other restrictions normally that they need to comply with (like being sub-sonic)? Is there a certain box size for the display?

Working on some display routines in DCS and am curious on finding out the basic rules.

Cheers!!

Bit of a vague answer initially but i'll try to update with some more up to date info when I can.

It will vary from aircraft to aircraft not to mention the operator and eve the country they are displaying in.

For fast jet a 500 ft hard deck and a minimum 230 metre separation from the crown line, increasing to 450 metre over 300 Kts.

As for display area, it will vary depending on location and factors such as obstacles and airspace in the surrounding area having an effect on the display area and the hard deck. As a general rule 5 nm and 15'000ft upper limit is a reasonable place to start.

Bit of a vague answer initially but i'll try to update with some more up to date info when I can.

It will vary from aircraft to aircraft not to mention the operator and eve the country they are displaying in.

For fast jet a 500 ft hard deck and a minimum 230 metre separation from the crown line, increasing to 450 metre over 300 Kts.

As for display area, it will vary depending on location and factors such as obstacles and airspace in the surrounding area having an effect on the display area and the hard deck. As a general rule 5 nm and 15'000ft upper limit is a reasonable place to start.

Ah cheers. At Oshkosh, I'm fairly certain they were a lot lower than 500ft. There were Raptors beating up the field and I could have sworn it was less than 300ft. But then I'm not surprised Americans have less restrictive rules. For smaller props the hard deck seemed 0ft. For jets I would guess around 300ft for low passes.