DCS Open Beta won't launch

Gman109

Not sure if it was the last update or not, but I can't launch into DCS Open Beta in either VR or non-VR. When I launch it now with VR (Reverb G2), I got the SU27 plane, view is about 1/2 down the fuselage, and no music or title/control screen. When I launch it in non VR mode, after the initial DCS launch screen, that goes all black, with a white bar along the top of the window (window stay same size but all black in other words), with no "x" in the top right corner, but I can drag the window around. Nothing happens for 5 minutes or so after this. DCS Stable version works fine. I decided to try reinstalling DCS Open Beta completely (I had no mods on the install, over 200gb gone after reisntall), and the same problem persists, in VR I get no music/control panel, just a view that I can't recenter (tried alt tab and kp 5) or move other than the view as I turn my head about. Non VR, same as before, just a hung screen that's all black with "DCS" in the top left in the white window title bar.

Not sure what to do at this point. I couldn't get into the game, I didn't deactivate any modules as the help file said I shouldn't need to for just reinstalling as no hardware has changed since the DCS OB last worked.

I've tried unplugging all my controllers, deleting vjoy, changing the page file, pretty much everything I've read in the forum about DCS not launching (I don't have a wheel, haha). I downloaded stable version, and it's working fine, both VR and nonVR. Reinstalled open beta the hang in non vr persists, as does the VR screen with no music or control/game screen, just the Su27 and nothing else.

Edit - log attached, pic of screen that hangs with Open Beta link as well. The DCS load screen comes up briefly, then it goes all black as the pic shows, and hangs, I've waited 15 mins to be sure.

https://i.imgur.com/A2EOsPb.png

dcs.log

dcs.log

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Hi. There's something weird in your logs: there's no game options displayed at all. See, you have this:

2020-11-15 02:19:59.405 INFO DCS: options.graphics =
{
};

When you're supposed to have something like this:

2020-11-14 20:57:27.907 INFO DCS: options.graphics =
{
['messagesFontScale'] = 1;
['rainDroplets'] = true;
['LensEffects'] = 3;
['heatBlr'] = 2;
['anisotropy'] = 3;
['water'] = 2;
['motionBlur'] = 0;
['outputGamma'] = 2.2;
['treesVisibility'] = 10000;
['aspect'] = 1.6;
['lights'] = 2;
['shadows'] = 4;
['MSAA'] = 1;
['SSAA'] = 0;
['civTraffic'] = 'high';
['clutterMaxDistance'] = 1500;
['cockpitGI'] = 1;
['terrainTextures'] = 'max';
['multiMonitorSetup'] = '1camera';
['shadowTree'] = false;
['chimneySmokeDensity'] = 2;
['fullScreen'] = false;
['DOF'] = 0;
['clouds'] = 1;
['forestDistanceFactor'] = 1;
['flatTerrainShadows'] = 0;
['width'] = 1920;
['visibRange'] = 'Ultra';
['SSLR'] = 1;
['effects'] = 3;
['SSAO'] = 0;
['useDeferredShading'] = 1;
['sync'] = false;
['textures'] = 2;
['scaleGui'] = 1;
['preloadRadius'] = 150000;
['height'] = 1200;
['terrainMapMFD'] =
{
['distance'] =
{
['mapLodDistance3'] = 200000;
['mapLodDistance2'] = 100000;
['mapLodDistance0'] = 25000;
['mapLodDistance1'] = 50000;
};
};
};

Seeing as you have the same "hole" in your stable log, I don't even understand how your stable can work properly.

You're supposed to have a "\Config\options.lua" file in each of your DCS/DCS.openbeta Saved Games folder. Can you check they both exist?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Sorry, I accidentally posted the Open beta log twice. I'll repost them here again, OB first, Stable second.

You may be onto something though, I have the options.lua in the stable install, but in the open beta install, it's almost empty, the only thing in is the following:

"options = {

["miscellaneous"] = {

["autologin"] = false,

},

}

"

And that's it. Why would that be the case, I just did a fresh reinstall (twice now) of Open Beta, and my first time ever install of stable (which again, works fine). I've been doing testing with the new G2 Reverb(awesome btw, DCS stable works as I said, and it is UNREAL now), but I did nothing to the open beta install, there are and were no mods installed either, it just started hanging out of the blue.

What do you suggest I do to correct the obvious options.lua problem? Reinstall again maybe? But it's obviously doing this repeatedly as again I've already reinstalled 2 times with the same result. New drive/folder maybe? Can I delete the entire config folder and do a repair maybe?

Thanks for the response btw, some light in the tunnel now at least.

dcs_OB.log

dcs_stable.log

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

For your information, the best way to reset the Saved Games part of DCS is to rename the folder and launch the game: it will automatically create a new, virgin one (with default options and default controls).

However, seeing as stable and OB options.lua files are identical, simply copy the file from stable to OB and it will work. :thumbup:

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Okay that worked, I deleted/renamed the Config folder, and did a repair, now the options.lua is properly populated, and I can launch open beta in vr and non vr. Thanks for the fast response, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to configuring DCS. Now I just have to reinstall 220gb of modules/etc, haha. Now back to Reverb G2 powered by 3090 greatness. Haven't slept since I got it yesterday, so amazing.

Systems