TPOD with JHMCS question

Sharkku

I can't stop thinking that pointing the Litening targeting pod with the JHMCS would be so practical, and a logical thing to do. Is it done in real life? Is it a feature just not implemented yet, or is it not realistic and will never come? I mean, it's the Joint Helmet Mounted _Cueing_ System, what would be more natural than using it for cueing?

With the upcoming feature (see latest Mini update) to designate ground target points with the JHMCS, will the TPOD automatically slave to that target point if activated?

Yep the helmet creates a system designation and the lpod, if loaded, will automatically slew to it just like if you were to press WPDSG on the HSI page. It will not however constantly follow the helmet if that's what your wanting, the pod will only slew to a designated point but the helmet will now be capable of making a designation.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Yep the helmet creates a system designation and the lpod, if loaded, will automatically slew to it just like if you were to press WPDSG on the HSI page. It will not however constantly follow the helmet if that's what your wanting, the pod will only slew to a designated point and the helmet will now be capable of making a designation.

No, I don't want the TPOD to constantly follow the helmet, just working like you describe would be perfect! I have been cursing more than once, trying to slew the TPOD to a target I can easily see off to my side, and failing. If I can just get the TPOD to look in the direction I designate, I will be one happy puppy!

No, I don't want the TPOD to constantly follow the helmet, just working like you describe would be perfect! I have been cursing more than once, trying to slew the TPOD to a target I can easily see off to my side, and failing. If I can just get the TPOD to look in the direction I designate, I will be one happy puppy!

That will be how it works! AFAIK it should follow the action slewing of the segmented diamond with priority assigned to the HUD/HMD too though I'm not sure why Wags didn't put the pod on the DDI in the video. Maybe it's still WIP or something.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Actually its not clearly specified that is coming in today's update right? It might very well the next update after today...just wondering

The video is suppose to be the todays update if following other teasers/update news. It is as well after all named as "DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | November 17, 2020 Update"

So, why to push it for a month forward if not for the next update?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

That will be how it works! AFAIK it should follow the action slewing of the segmented diamond with priority assigned to the HUD/HMD too though I'm not sure why Wags didn't put the pod on the DDI in the video. Maybe it's still WIP or something.

The TPOD can already follow a moving AG designation just fine. Slewing through the HUD in AUTO or going FTT on a moving target, both move the designation and the TPOD follows just fine.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I was really happy to see Wags video last night after bombing stuff all night

and wishing I could AT LEAST see the target diamond through the JHMCS when orbiting.

Being able to actually designate and have the TPOD snap to the general location

and then be able to fine tune with the designator will be a game changer for sure.

If you start with a HMD designation, your TGT point will be in the right direction, but typically wrong distance. AFAICT this does not happen with AGR measurements. With no AGR, it's a question of where it would get the distance data from; unlike the A-10C it doesn't have a terrain database to look up in. (AFAIK the A-10Cs terrain database was added primarily to provide terrain warnings.)

Then when you switch to the TGP, your TGP will default to being slaved to the TGT - a point that is now in midair before the target. Or belowground behind it. As you move laterally, it will have the appearance of drifting, but it's really the incorrect point in the first place. Slewing it doesn't fix the incorrect distance. (Maybe it should.)

Switching to AREA track allows you to have the TGP track the correct target. Upon switching, I'm seeing the TGP target coordinates suddenly showing the correct target altitude (and presumably coords) as I switch to AREA. At this point I can press the TDC Depress to update the TGT point to the correct position...

... for a split second. Then the TGT point is set back to the incorrect, midair position. In one test case, the TGT distance went from 3.5 to 4.0 for a split second, then back to 3.5. That's probably a bug.

Yes, it actually makes the F18 be up there with the BRRRRRT machine for me...

If we wouldn't have got the A-10C II, we would have many jealous A-10 pilots in the forum for how effective the F/A-18C became by receiving the eagerly waited A-G capability.

But, as they got the Scorpion helmet, it leveled them with the Hornet for tasking.

For the common use, I don't see much benefits in A-10C design than what Hornet has, maybe because the MPCD at center as three displays makes easier to have three data on sight at once without requirement to switch between two displays.

Sure the Hornet is simpler and limited that what the A-10C pilot can do, but it is that A-10C pilot has more to do to get the weapon released at the wanted target than what the Hornet pilot does. But Hornet is not so capable to perform a observer duties.

It is sad that AV-8B N/A is scheduled to receive the JHMCS only at 2021, as it would really turn otherwise amazing Harrier just among the Warthog and Hornet level, as some ways the Harrier is already better performing for CAS than either of those two.

But the JHMCS was long waited for Hornet and truly makes it far more performing.

It made me look far more outside of the cockpit as the situational awareness became richer.

• Like 1

If you start with a HMD designation, your TGT point will be in the right direction, but typically wrong distance. AFAICT this does not happen with AGR measurements. With no AGR, it's a question of where it would get the distance data from; unlike the A-10C it doesn't have a terrain database to look up in. (AFAIK the A-10Cs terrain database was added primarily to provide terrain warnings.)

Our hornet in reality has the TAMMAC https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/741456 & https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a493602.pdf (Approved for public release; distribution unlimited), it has lots of features that ED denies to implement for us, even when they are required to use some of the TAMMAC functions in other systems already implemented. Like you can upload own map data (tiles) for it (so you can avoid having the old maritime navigation maps that were digitalized for TAD), you can have a 3D sun maps, where you can see that how sun lit the terrain at different shadows to reveal the terrain shape). You have various altitude data, was it up to 5 meters scaling. You have up to 1:20000 resolution (1 cm on the screen is 200 meters on the map) for zooming, so you really can zoom in to designate targets just by the map if so wanted.

Reason likely is that the TAMMAC is behind some licensing/classification that denies it to be given for a civilian market.

“While the TAMMAC Digital Map Computer (DMC) provides aircrew with a graphical presentation of the aircraft's current position and other information, it also incorporates the Terrain Avoidance Warning System (TAWS) ensuring aircrew safety when flying at low altitudes” said Dave Fairfax, TAMMAC Program Manager, PMA209.

681936738_TAMMACHornet3Dterrain.jpg.7df9ac9d846a4e6eb56e9963335cdefe.jpg

Then when you switch to the TGP, your TGP will default to being slaved to the TGT - a point that is now in midair before the target. Or belowground behind it. As you move laterally, it will have the appearance of drifting, but it's really the incorrect point in the first place. Slewing it doesn't fix the incorrect distance. (Maybe it should.)

Switching to AREA track allows you to have the TGP track the correct target. Upon switching, I'm seeing the TGP target coordinates suddenly showing the correct target altitude (and presumably coords) as I switch to AREA. At this point I can press the TDC Depress to update the TGT point to the correct position...

... for a split second. Then the TGT point is set back to the incorrect, midair position. In one test case, the TGT distance went from 3.5 to 4.0 for a split second, then back to 3.5. That's probably a bug.

Likely if you have a JHMCS with radar gimbal range you can get the AGR meter the about proper distance so it will drift just little when going around, but otherwise laser ranging could be used if not using the TAMMAC terrain elevation data in the first place to set the TGP pointing properly. As now it is like the range is set to something between the target and aircraft and it will immediately drift away from target if you fly at all parallel to it.