Video card recommendations?

I currently use an eVGA 6800 GT Ultra video card (PCI-E). Thinking of upgrading but need to keep it cheap. So I'm looking for a PCI-E card that sells for around $100-150 (US) that will be significantly better than what I currently use. Is there such an animal? And what would it be? ATI or nVIDIA--it doesn't matter.

I'll be away from a computer for several days. Will check in when I return.

Thanks,

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

If your willing to pay a little bit more, you could get an 8800GT, which is what i'm drooling over... i mean, looking at. :D The EVGA one at newegg is like $159.99 w/ rebate.

My 2 cents

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Ironhand... Look for deals on a 8800gt 512mb (not 256mb)

The incremental cost over a 9600gt is worth it... especially nice if you can find one with a non standard cooler... overclocking a gpu is safe and yields noticeable gains.

You're a Canuck yes? post the online places or brick-n-mortar stores where you like to buy. That will help narrow the search.

Let us know m8

EDIT ... Perfect example right here ... 8800gt with better cooling and a nice price after rebate >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125088

I have a 1GB 7950 GX2 I'm on the fence between the 1GB 8800GT and the 1GB 9600GT or waiting for the next series and upgrading the entire PC next year...

I know that the 8800 is technically faster than the 9600 right now, but traditionally the Nvidia drivers have incresed the speeds of the 'current' series of cards beyond the point of the previous cards can achieve.

Also the 9600 is US $60 cheaper than the 8800 from the places that I can source it from hmmm... decisions decisions...

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone running a 1GB 9600, and what their opinions of it are.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would think the video card you go with would have to depend on your system cababilities. You just can run a AMD 4000+ and DDR 800 RAM and expect to get much out of a 8800GT/GTS/GTX. Actually, you would loose fps. We need more information to make a better suggestion.

HOw bout waiting 1 more month for you and Ironhand... ATI is SUPPOSED to come out with new cards in June.

I recall seeing that 1gig versions of the 8800gt and 9600gt realizing little gains. Something on the order of 3% over a sample of games. Lockon is of course not benchmarked anymore. Study study... lol

I have a 1GB 7950 GX2 I'm on the fence between the 1GB 8800GT and the 1GB 9600GT or waiting for the next series and upgrading the entire PC next year...

I know that the 8800 is technically faster than the 9600 right now, but traditionally the Nvidia drivers have incresed the speeds of the 'current' series of cards beyond the point of the previous cards can achieve.

Also the 9600 is US $60 cheaper than the 8800 from the places that I can source it from hmmm... decisions decisions...

The 9600GT is slower than the most expensive 8800 series, but not by much...and its a huge bang for the buck. My 2 in SLi mode work faster than any 8800GT. Only beef I have with them at the moment is SLi and LockOn dont get along too well with flashing textures.

I would think the video card you go with would have to depend on your system cababilities. You just can run a AMD 4000+ and DDR 800 RAM and expect to get much out of a 8800GT/GTS/GTX. Actually, you would loose fps. We need more information to make a better suggestion.

My system is almost 2 years old now, and I usually re-new every 3 years... another reason why I'm on the fence....

Currently I have:

Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate

Intel Core 2 X6800EE OC'd @3.2GHz

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR-8500 OC'd @ DDR697 (348.5MHz)

ASUS 1GB GeForce 7950 GX2 OC'd GPU@600MHz DDR@700MHz (beta 174 driver)

Creative X-Fi with Alchemy

Dell 2407WFP

The ASUS board is a bit of a washout and is limited to DDR667 for the Northbridge chipset (RAM), which is a shame as my previous 2 ASUS motherboards have been fantastic. Even so, I'm able to OC the Northbridge from 667 to 697 and it's totally stable.

I'm running Lock On at 1680x1050 with 4xAA and 16xAF at an average of 26fps, but as Hitman said, I'm only using half of the 7950 GX2 as using SLI actually decreases the frame rate!

As you can see from the specs and it being almost 2 years old, I don't usually hold back when I buy components, but this would be a stepping stone of a graphics card to extend the life of this system to 4 years instead of 3 that I usually re-fresh at...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yea I would avoid any of the 600 series. I meat like 7600, 8600, 9600...etc. Those are kinda like the "cheap" versions of each series. I currently have a 8600 GT, but my old 7900 GS performed better.

The 9600's are pretty close to outperforming the best of the 8800 series cards, and it doesnt break your pocketbook either...thats why I got my 2x.

My system is almost 2 years old now, and I usually re-new every 3 years... another reason why I'm on the fence....

Currently I have:

Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate

Intel Core 2 X6800EE OC'd @3.2GHz

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR-8500 OC'd @ DDR697 (348.5MHz)

ASUS 1GB GeForce 7950 GX2 OC'd GPU@600MHz DDR@700MHz (beta 174 driver)

Creative X-Fi with Alchemy

Dell 2407WFP

The ASUS board is a bit of a washout and is limited to DDR667 for the Northbridge chipset (RAM), which is a shame as my previous 2 ASUS motherboards have been fantastic. Even so, I'm able to OC the Northbridge from 667 to 697 and it's totally stable.

I'm running Lock On at 1680x1050 with 4xAA and 16xAF at an average of 26fps, but as Hitman said, I'm only using half of the 7950 GX2 as using SLI actually decreases the frame rate!

As you can see from the specs and it being almost 2 years old, I don't usually hold back when I buy components, but this would be a stepping stone of a graphics card to extend the life of this system to 4 years instead of 3 that I usually re-fresh at...

Highway...I would recommend "HIGHLY" staying away from Asus motherboards...specifically the P5N series. Ive had to RMA 3 of these boards, and I still cant get my ram to sit 8gbs...which is the exact same ram you posted above. This motherboard isnt overclockable with the latest bios, and you cant seat any XMS2 ram without the latest bios flash. If that one works for you, you got it made, I guess...

I would go with an eVGA 750i chipset...its on par with the 790i series, comes with 3 SLi slots, and is an excellent working board altogether. Ive been doing a lot of research on the type of board I have to get to replace my P5N. With all that said...if that is your old motherboard, and it DOES indeed work, give me a price and Ill send cash.

That is my current rig, and I plan on only switching out the GPU this year, or waiting until next year and replacing the whole system. Even at only AUS $200 I'm not sure that the performance difference between the 9600GT and my existing 7950 GX2 will be worth it.....

• Like 1

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Performance-wise, I think the 9600GT is faster than the 7850, but its negligible. However, the 7950 is only dx9 while the 9600 is dx10. Guess the thing is if your willing to get Vista or a cracked version of dx10 to get the full benefits out of it.

• Like 1

No problem... let us know what you do.

Personally Im waiting to trade away my 8800gts 640mb for the ATI releases, hopefully next month.

I'm never one to tell people "wait for this!" because that waiting game usually sucks. But these cards may be high performers and you tend to hold onto your equipment for the longer term.

• Like 1

Performance-wise, I think the 9600GT is faster than the 7850, but its negligible. However, the 7950 is only dx9 while the 9600 is dx10. Guess the thing is if your willing to get Vista or a cracked version of dx10 to get the full benefits out of it.

Just bought asus en9600gt top,(overclocked from factory). It is highly oc able from what I have read and when using aa or af it starts to bet the 3870 and 8800gt by 10%. Good card for the bucks. I always ran ATI till I researched this one. It's in 512mb and a nice 3 year warranty to go with it and a nice package of cables for HDMI.

• Like 1