Updated Night Vision, Bi- or Panoramic...

freelancer2011

Hi,

I don't know if it's even possible with the advent of HMCS, but would it be possible to have more updated night vision to reflect upgraded kit in real-life?

Either with wider view bi-goggles (AN/PVS-15s) or even the Panoramic ones?

Example:

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/134540/airmen-receive-panoramic-night-vision-goggles/

Have to admit, the panoramics would give the player extreme superiority and situ-awareness...

If you wanted to balance fairness, you could implement it several ways. E.g. Panoramics for A-10C Version 1.0 only (taking note of the timeframe of that article). Or, if your sources/real A-10 pilots/customers say it's not realistic due to HMCS, so it's either currently accurate/as-is, fair enough. Or, even if they don't have the panoramics but do have the bi-goggles, is it possible to increase the size/field of view?

It often feels like the goggles are just the monocular-style ones (AN/PVS-14s) and slightly dated. Again, if it's already all accurate in both modules (A-10C V1 and II), fair enough. :)

Thanks!

Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

Are you referring to the actual HMCS lens? If so, is that 'as-is' practicable though?

I can't seem to envisage that. I'm assuming Snoopy is a real A-10 pilot (I'm new, so you'll have to forgive me). Hence, his response.

The night-vision just feels very 'tunnel-visioned' to me, that it's mapped to the monocular ones (AN/PVS-14s) or the ones where both eyes are covered but it narrows into a single 'output tube' (AN/PVS-7s). :dunno:

Are you referring to the actual HMCS lens? If so, is that 'as-is' practicable though?

I can't seem to envisage that. I'm assuming Snoopy is a real A-10 pilot (I'm new, so you'll have to forgive me). Hence, his response.

The night-vision just feels very 'tunnel-visioned' to me, that it's mapped to the monocular ones (AN/PVS-14s) or the ones where both eyes are covered but it narrows into a single 'output tube' (AN/PVS-7s). :dunno:

A-10 Crew Chief. And yes HMCS should be perfectly clear and the same visibility as without NVGs because the NVGs fold down over the monocle.

We just need HMCS displayed in front of the NVG effect, not behind.

Guessing you don't use VR?

With VR, NVG's display in both eyes and has zero impact on using the HMCS.

That being said, sometimes I think it'd be better to only have it in one eye so you can still view sensor displays inside the cockpit - as in current format you need to disable them to do that.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Guessing you don't use VR?

With VR, NVG's display in both eyes and has zero impact on using the HMCS.

That being said, sometimes I think it'd be better to only have it in one eye so you can still view sensor displays inside the cockpit - as in current format you need to disable them to do that.

Cheers,

Ziptie

NVGs in VR are incorrect, you should get the same circle view as non VR. Been reported (or mentioned) for a long time.

NVGs in VR are incorrect, you should get the same circle view as non VR. Been reported (or mentioned) for a long time.

Copy that sir.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria