MiG-21bis Radar problem

Nickrs

I've noticed this. I'm still trying to figure out the exact problem but it seems to be altitude-related. Need to do some more testing so I can fire off a more useful report.

Yes, the FPS issues chiefly happen if the ground is within the FOV of the RADAR.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I have the same problem here. The radar simply does not show targets that are literally just in front of the plane. It´s a pitty for me because I have just bought the module and I am really loving to fly the plane. But this radar problem of not acquiring the targets (plus the FPS DROP) renders it impossible to use in combat.

• Like 1

I have the same problem here. The radar simply does not show targets that are literally just in front of the plane. It´s a pitty for me because I have just bought the module and I am really loving to fly the plane. But this radar problem of not acquiring the targets (plus the FPS DROP) renders it impossible to use in combat.

Just like Antonio, I've started using this plane only recently (although I bought it on sale some months ago) and I don't see big targets right in front of me. I move the TDC range controller, I double check with the F10 view that I'm travelling towards the target, but nothing appears on the screen.

I haven't noticed the FPS drop simply because I have 8 GB of RAM and a 1050Ti and it's usual for me to have, occasionally, about 20 FPS, unless it's a FC3 aircraft.

Edited by BlackLightning

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

On 11/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, Sirchuzzalot said:

I've got the same issue. Just bought it on sale, trying to get more into some cold war scenarios and the radar doesn't pick up anything at all. I've never seen it pick up one target. I also get the massive framerate drop too, which I also get in the viggen when using the radar.

We are talking about the FPS issue here. The problem seems to be tied to Graphic Card drivers:

I’m also a new user. I noticed that even in look up, with low altitude filters, the radar seems to be blind.

on the opposite, at high altitude you can spot a F-5E at 30km...

I don’t know how much realistic it is ?

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Yes, we are aware. For over 7 months. And we are working on a fix. We released already a few attempted fixes, but they did not produce results that were expected. As a matter of fact I have been testing a new fix tonight, which at least on my PC solved the problem. I saw no FPS drops be it in clouds or right over the ground. Of course it will require further testing before will be submitted, but I hope this will be it. Unfortunately, it doesnt come without drawbacks. 

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Thanks Hiromachi,

It is reassuring to know you are trying to fix this. For the record I don't seem to have any FPS issues at all. Just the lack of targets on my radar. Initially I thought it was just me doing something wrong until I came here and saw the other posts. The Mig is definitely my favourite aircraft at the moment as it rewards the effort to practise and study its systems.

Yes, we are aware. For over 7 months. And we are working on a fix. We released already a few attempted fixes, but they did not produce results that were expected. As a matter of fact I have been testing a new fix tonight, which at least on my PC solved the problem. I saw no FPS drops be it in clouds or right over the ground. Of course it will require further testing before will be submitted, but I hope this will be it. Unfortunately, it doesnt come without drawbacks. 

Thank you Hiromachi. However we're not talking about the FPS drop problem here, rather about a different (but perhaps not unrelated?) radar issue of contacts not showing on the radar screen. Reportedly this is a much more recent issue than the FPS one. As mentioned by the OP this problem also affects the training missions on radar and missile employment. Could you please check this?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

The lack of radar contacts is direct consequence of work on radar performance fix. As Ive said sometime ago, we attempted to improve the situation by reducing the amount of clutter. However, as the number of objects displayed on the radar screen decreased, targets started vanishing as well. This is why spotting higher is not a problem, but low its problematic. So this two issues are connected. 

Edited by Hiromachi
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

Unfortunately now is radar useless for all, not just for nvidia owners :(. Please, at least revert this "improvement" before Christmas. This module is great, but for now it is only 50% enjoyment because of this radar issue.

The lack of radar contacts is direct consequence of work on radar performance fix. As Ive said sometime ago, we attempted to improve the situation by reducing the amount of clutter. However, as the number of objects displayed on the radar screen decreased, targets started vanishing as well. This is why spotting higher is not a problem, but low its problematic. So this two issues are connected. 

That's good to know Hiromachi. Thanks for acknowledging it and hopefully you'll fix it soon!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 7:37 PM, Nickrs said:

Since the upgrade I have not been able to see aircraft on the MiG-21bis radar. Was doing the training missions yesterday before the upgrade and all was good (apart from low framerate).

Has any one else seen this or is it just me?

Yeah same problem, no A/C display on the radar, I can even see them visually, but nothing on the radar even when looking up. Literally all the radar is now is a beacon for F5's to home in on.

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That would be correct. Submitted fix did not make it in previous update and we're waiting for it to be released next time hopefully.