Throttle - OFF/IDLE: Doesn't stay in off position

S. Low

I have throttle - off/idle bound to a modified keybind on my throttle (modifier + button). The command works just fine to bring throttle from OFF to IDLE. But I just noticed while trying to shut down that the throttle won't return to OFF and stay there. When I press the keybind and HOLD it, the throttle will stay in off position, but as soon as I let go of my keybind the throttle returns to IDLE position.

Is this the intended functionality of the keybind? Seems to me it should be a toggle between the OFF and IDLE position.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

The Warthog (and throttles like it) have a physical OFF position. To reach it, you have to physically lift the throttle grip and pull it over a physical barrier into a physical OFF position. The hardware only acts as a throttle axis between IDLE and MAX. When you lift and retard the hardware to the OFF position, it stops sending axis position to the computer, and instead sends a continuous button press signal. That signal is bound in DCS as "OFF/IDLE."

When you release the button for this key binding, computationally it is the same as lifting the Warthog throttle out of the OFF position (releasing the button) and placing it in IDLE.

When I start Falcon cold and dark and have my throttle fully back at off position after tuning on EPU I move it to idle and it won't work. I have to move it back to off again then to idle. Is this normal behaviour? 

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I have to move it back to off again then to idle. Is this normal behaviour? 

DCS knows throttle is OFF by seeing the hardware 'button pressed' signal. If you have throttle in OFF before you start the mission, the button was pressed before DCS runs, thus DCS doesn't know the button was pushed. It also sees no axis signal so doesn't know where the throttle is.

You can either cycle it on mission start (before doing anything else is fine) or use option "synchronize HOTAS controls on mission start"

20 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

DCS knows throttle is OFF by seeing the hardware 'button pressed' signal. If you have throttle in OFF before you start the mission, the button was pressed before DCS runs, thus DCS doesn't know the button was pushed. It also sees no axis signal so doesn't know where the throttle is.

You can either cycle it on mission start (before doing anything else is fine) or use option "synchronize HOTAS controls on mission start"

I have this option turned on and it works for Hog but not for Falcon... 

23 hours ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Uhm... why are you turning on the EPU?

Can we stay on topic? 

23 hours ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Uhm... why are you turning on the EPU?

Also like the smell of hot Hydrazine 🙂

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

On 12/4/2020 at 6:05 PM, randomTOTEN said:

Interesting. Didn't know they had to set that up for each aircraft. Cycling works doesn't it?

It does yes: I start missions with the throttle in IDLE, then move it to OFF after I hit "FLY": works just fine. And yes this is how it works for DCS generally.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset