OH-58D Kiowa Warrior November News

Polychop Simulations

Dear community,

With the end of the year fast approaching and still a lot of work to do, we have come to a point where we have to accept that a 2020 release of the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior module is no longer feasible. We want to release a module that we feel is feature complete, mission ready and a true tribute to the men and women in army aviation. That is not to say no extra’s will be added later on. Even though we’ve been crunching the past months, we simply aren’t there yet.

We can imagine this is a disappointment to all who look forward to the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior module and we hope to make up for this with the polished release the module deserves. We’ll be working hard to get you the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior module as soon as possible.

sotw_20-11-2020.thumb.png.ac5809db4a11710eb851a775423c33bd.png

• Like 10

Community Manager Account

DrummerNL

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the update @Polychop Simulations :thumbup:

and fwiw, I think you are making a good decision. It's better to surprise/blow away people upon release, than trying to mend disappointment

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Thanks a lot for the update @Polychop Simulations and also thank you for not waiting untill the end of December with this news! :thumbup:

Rather take the time to do it proper than to rush it :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

At the end of which month in 2021 would you say you can be 90% certain it will be released by? Even pad it out a month, if you want. That should then be a pretty good aim point we can look forward to? Of course, things can always come up and you get to that month and it isn't quite ready. But which month would you say? Could you say?

Beyond that, is there a plan for the next project? Because, if the OH-58 comes out well, as I expect it will...you keep building them and I'll keep buying them! Westland Wessex HAS.1? Westland Sea King HAS.1? These would be nice.

It is a pity to hear that. But your decision is the right one. Please just don't rush. Just keep the community up to date.

Very much this! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Clear communication, respect of the community, and dedication to bringing out the best module you can make. That is all great. We'll keep on waiting, thank you for being upfront with us.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I think this is a great move fella's. Nothing worse then all the beta releases these days and having to deal with crashes and half functioning systems for months. It will be much better and well worth the wait to jump into a mission ready Helo. Cheers

On 11/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, Qiou87 said:

Clear communication, respect of the community, and dedication to bringing out the best module you can make. That is all great. We'll keep on waiting, thank you for being upfront with us.

I second that statement wholeheartedly! 

I rather prefer you post pone the release of Kiowa and have it like it should behave than to have a disappointment like Gazelle's one. So, thanks for you hard work and continue with it. Regards.

• Like 1

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

I agree with the above comments, release this helo when it is good enough .. I don't care if some advanced features came up later, but the basics should be functional. Wish you all the best and I will support your efforts by purchasing it as soon as it hits the store .. I only wish it doesn't appear at the same time as the Mi-24 or I will be hard pressed to purchase both  😄

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 months later...

I’d be surprised if the new modules will be released prior to the new DCS world upcoming update. But, I have no understand about software development, so I’m probably wrong. Either way, I’m going to be right though 👀🤦‍♂️

Edited by Rabies

So looking at here and on FB, it looks as if Polychop has gone radio silent for the last 3 weeks. I'm almost wondering if we're now in the home stretch and they've gotten the module to Bell QA and it's nearly there...? It would be oh so spectacular if they announce it's release before the end of Feb. Wishful thinking I know, but the quiet could be a really good thing, or a really bad thing.

• Like 1

@R0NiN

TL;DR:

I wouldn't expect the KW to be released soon, although it's FM seems almost complete, there seems to be a lot of work required to "finalise" the module to a level Polychop are comfortable with.

Detail:
Polychop have said they are cautious when discussing WIP features as the DCS community can often react with unrealistic expectations or negativity (sometimes both at the same time), which in turn prevent/distract the dev's from actually working on the module (so they prefer to stay quite unless there is something to "show").

AFAIK

• System wise they are working on adding the moving map, refining how the MFD menus work, RWR, AI co-pilot, etc.

• Art wise they are adding/refining the 3D pilot/co-pilot models and external lights (WIP screenshots were shared 2 weeks ago).

• Audio is WIP with some elements missing and others requiring re-recording/sampling.

• A basic damage model has still to be added (it will be expanded after release).

• The intention is to release as "complete" and bug free KW module as possible, so the dev's aren't "firefighting" to support both modules and time and resources are available to rework the Gazelle FM as promised.

Although unrelated to the KW, the Gazelle FM was again heavily criticised on discord, necessitating the dev's to investigate (the player: flew inverted, engine died, auto-rotated while inverted, then normalised their orientation to complete an auto-rotation landing - using it as an example of an unrealistic FM). The dev's responded (as such criticism undermines the KW) at length, explaining how the KW's "hummingbird" FM compares to the Bell 407 in another sim, etc. and what the Gazelle FM does/does not model and what might change once it's reworked.

While it's good to see the Gazelle getting attention and Polychop ensuring lessons learned are carried forward to the KW, such investigations (while necessary) do divert time and focus from the KW's development.

When Polychop go "silent" I take it as a good sign they are free from community "drama" and able to focus on their personal lives and KW development - no more, no less.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I agree. Imo it's good that Polychop just seems to focus on the work at hand, instead of investing time/money on a community manager :thumbup:

What could be considered as peculiar though, is getting the hype train going and, once it's properly up to speed, then go totally silent...

Maybe they're going for a refreshing: "Surprise guys! It's finished" kind of release 😉

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Did I say something wrong or strange?

Why not just share your opinion instead of anonymously throwing in a ":blink:"....

System specs: