F-16 Alignment Statuses incorrect(and other tiny "bugs")

SaladinoSaurus

I know.. INS in F-16 is still WIP.

It seems like you can get a status 6 with a normal GC alignment (setting INS knob to NORM and wait 8 minutes), which is actually not possible. The highest you can get with a normal GC alignment is status 10, status 6 is only possible with an EIA (Enhanced Interrupted Alignment) which requires you to move the aircraft and do lots of fancy stuff (EIA also needs atleast 4 more minutes, not 42-ish seconds).

Status codes(number) with time and description (of a NORM alignment). The following might be completely wrong, I am not 100% certain as I don't have the Block50CM manual --> Also: at status 70 you should get a Steady RDY/ALIGN text on the DED (and HUD(?)).

Another tiny bug: When confirming the coords on a NORM alignment (normal GC alignment), you should Re-enter them, not press Enter on the ICP. This is for both LAT and LONG coordinates. (in DCS both methods work). Why? The RLG INU (Ring Laser Gyro, Inertial Navigation Unit) will flag the alignment as possibly degraded and stuff goes bad.

Try it for yourself, I unfortunately couldn't get my track file of me starting up the jet with a NORM alignment (track file was too big), but I can show a screenshot!

811776893_DigitalCombatSimulator20_11_202021_45_24.png.e9dc9bf5a8c73a827fa7cffca063f659.png

^This shouldn't be possible. A standard EIA will need atleast 12 minutes for a complete Standard Enhanced Interrupted Alignment.

• Like 1

I'll try to look up documents for confirmation, but this sounds like something that would apply to INS and not to EGI-equipped aircraft. Fiddling with moving the bird around and such is something that would've been necessary pre-GPS.

Indeed, EGI alignment should be in the neighborhood of 4 minutes, not 8, at least AFAIK. I'll report back when I have confirmation that this would be the case with the aircraft modeled in DCS.

I'll try to look up documents for confirmation, but this sounds like something that would apply to INS and not to EGI-equipped aircraft. Fiddling with moving the bird around and such is something that would've been necessary pre-GPS.

Indeed, EGI alignment should be in the neighborhood of 4 minutes, not 8, at least AFAIK. I'll report back when I have confirmation that this would be the case with the aircraft modeled in DCS.

An EIA is still possible with EGI and INS + GPS (AFAIK, it at least is possible with INS + GPS) equipped aircraft, it just requires you to turn set the FILTER MODE to INS, (LIST > 4 > Dobber RIGHT (SEQuence) and pressing any number on the ICP to set it to INS. This will set the KALMAN FILTER to only filter/update from the INS data it gets, not the GPS data (performing an EIA will not work when getting KALMAN filter updates), a standard EIA will increase the INS accuracy by about 40% for the first hour of the flight.

The F-16 we have in DCS uses an INS panel, not EGI. I am not talking about EGI, EGI needs only 4 minutes for a NORM alignment and only 30(! crazy) seconds for STD Heading alignment.

IIRC, if you're not sure if your source is OK to post, you can post the page number and the name of the document you're using. Anyone who can access it will be able to check easily enough. As for the EGI, don't all the block 50 Vipers have that? I thought it was introduced all the way back in block 30. Why would a modern Viper have the INS as opposed to EGI?

BTW, I'd appreciate if you replied with a quote, like on a normal forum. I don't know whose idea was to add this "comment" functionality, but it's a hideous misfeature that only makes the whole thing discussion to read. Let's not make this forum any more of a visual disaster than it already is.

• ED Team

Please PM if the information breaks the rules, this is to protect you as much as it is us.

Note we can only use publicly available information

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

IIRC, if you're not sure if your source is OK to post, you can post the page number and the name of the document you're using. Anyone who can access it will be able to check easily enough. As for the EGI, don't all the block 50 Vipers have that? I thought it was introduced all the way back in block 30. Why would a modern Viper have the INS as opposed to EGI?

BTW, I'd appreciate if you replied with a quote, like on a normal forum. I don't know whose idea was to add this "comment" functionality, but it's a hideous misfeature that only makes the whole thing discussion to read. Let's not make this forum any more of a visual disaster than it already is.

Sorry... I am new to the forums, I just used the option that would seem to fit the most.

As for the INS vs EGI question, I don't know! Ask the HAF why they didn't go all-out on the EGI, it allows for MANY, MANY more steerpoints as opposed to 127 (I am talking about 1000+, probably even 3000).

• 11 months later...

Hi guys!

Following a question I had on discord, I was directed to this bug report from a year ago, so I figured I'd ask here.

A few updates ago, I noticed that complete alignements in the viper no longer reached value 6 in precision and both stored and complete would just reach 10 and sit there.

Is there no longer any precision gain or any reason (other than immersion / realism) for players to use complete alignments in the game? Possible to get a statement on that?

See the chatter in the screenshot, for context.

image.png

• ED Team

The highest you can get with a normal GC alignment is status 10, this was changed from 6 as we agreed with the information from the 1st post. 

We could not find detailed information about how to reach status 6,  however status 10 is precise enough to carry out all activities in the DCS F-16C. 

Thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to F-16 Alignment Statuses incorrect(and other tiny "bugs")
  • BIGNEWY locked this topic