Adding more liveries/skins/squadrons to the Hornet

Moorhuhn

Ahoi,

would it be possible to add some more liveries/skins to the Hornet?

I mean especially Navy ones.

CAG and ViViz ones for the existing ones and complete missing sins.

There was a good thread by KingKenny04 created for the F14 :

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...we-have-in-dcs

Since the Hornet is also affected, I created this thread here.

Please ED, add some more liveries for the Hornet. Also maybe a bit more older, historical ones from the 90s and 00s

We need the Marauders, Sidewinders, Dambusters, Gunslingers, Nighthawks, Sunliners,... as CAG HiViz and Low Viz.

Aslo HiViz Ones to the existing Navy liveries. There is actual NO HiViz CAG skin for the Hornet at the moment.

HB give green light that there were more liveries to come for the Tomcat. Now its up to you, ED, to dont let us down.

Please, if not already included, include more liveries to the Hornets Roadmap.

Thank you.

Stay healthy and fly safe.

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier

113.thumb.PNG.922de92e569ee9bab80b6e50b2d25029.PNG

105.thumb.PNG.e0fe9fcd970b19826ee599a52974e734.PNG

086.thumb.PNG.b509d119ac90a96fa711e81149387ba1.PNG

136.thumb.PNG.8c4e785371c2501f5c1504d553ee2c41.PNG

82.thumb.PNG.74ef725509e30391d07e6139778bc1ac.PNG

dambusters.PNG.4643c0696ae40cae7240cc1b2d62f50c.PNG

• Like 1

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

We need the Marauders, Sidewinders, Dambusters, Gunslingers, Nighthawks, Sunliners,... as CAG HiViz and Low Viz.

Aslo HiViz Ones to the existing Navy liveries. There is actual NO HiViz CAG skin for the Hornet at the moment.

HB give green light that there were more liveries to come for the Tomcat. Now its up to you, ED, to dont let us down.

Please, if not already included, include more liveries to the Hornets Roadmap.

Have you visited the User Files section at all? Also, it has never been the developers that bring out all the liveries, it's the users like you and me and others. Well, not me! But you get my drift. I have every single livery you mentioned above and all I did was go to the user files section and type in search.

Here you go: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

yes. I am aware of this section. Thank you for posting it and trying to help. I know you're good-willing.

But unofficial local-downloaded content is not an option.

Please stop always recommending the users files section.

If I hop on in multiplayer in a, lets say Marauder livery, and hunt a, lets say Mig 29, the player of the Mig doesnt see me as Marauder.

He is just seeing a missing-template-default-skin (Raging Bulls with some code on it).

Downloadable content doesn't work in multiplayer.

Also most of those community skins have no dynamic modex and quality check at all.

So its very simple.

Everything which is not included into the original game, DOES NOT EXIST.

So please ED, add some more needed liveries to the Hornet.

Maybe it is an option to include some skins from the download section which have dynamic modex and pass successfully through your quality check.

Add "Adding skins" to the Hornets Roadmap please.

Is this possible?

Greetings

Have you visited the User Files section at all? Also, it has never been the developers that bring out all the liveries, it's the users like you and me and others. Well, not me! But you get my drift. I have every single livery you mentioned above and all I did was go to the user files section and type in search.

Here you go: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

I'd like to counter that the issue at hand isn't a lack of liveries. It's a lack of liveries that specifically cover the assets and locations that are available to us in game (or in the case of the upcoming Forrestal carriers and Guam map, will soon be available to us). It is ED's responsibility to provide a complete game experience, not modders.

Right now we do not have the appropriate liveries or assets in-game to complete a single real-world carrier air wing for any available or upcoming carrier on any map for any single point in history. I'm of the opinion that this is not a "wishlist item", but rather should be considered a problem to be rectified eventually (albeit not a serious problem).

• Like 2

If that is the case, ED (or any dev) maybe should throw the guys that have made liveries a bone and get their liveries into the game. Or fix whatever it is that does not allow a livery to show up in MP. Have we addressed this? I agree but disagree as well. IMO I don't really think it's ED's responsibility as they have already delivered a kick ass product. I say let them handle the big, important things like weapons, FM and such. I think that the community has excellent liveries, more better than the stock ones. And for me at least, the Dynamic Modex numbers look horrible. It looks like a pencil drew it and is never consistent with RW modex numbers. And the weathering by the users is always better! As we have seen, the Devs have PLENTY on their plates and the way people complain about this or that, liveries are a very small thing!

I do agree about the Air Wing thing. Having served on CV/CVN's, seeing these Frankenstein Air Wings is awful, but it is what it is until it is fixed!

The Dynamic Modex numbers look fine to me, but it would be helpful if each skin had some kind of config file where you could designate a font or something in case they have a different font. In my circle of friends its really annoying when we're trying to fly a Tomcat mission and all three of us have the same Modex and all are somehow flying the CO's bird. Its also helpful for things like Harriers, where we can simulate a MEU deployment or an entire squadron deployment and change the Modex numbers to fit (i.e. 54 vs 04).

Yeah I'm with KingKenny on this one. Ideally the liveries we got for the Hornet should represent actual squadrons deployed on the assets we have.

DCS is a fairly inconsistent mess when it comes to eras, modules and other assets. Whereby we seem to have a fair bit of incoherency between assets, modules and eras. I won't get into it here, but I think that not having these liveries in the first place is a part of that problem.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Maybe we can get an short feedback from an ED employee, whats their status of this topic. If they were planning adding more liveries to the game. Meaning creating their own ones or adding user-build liveries after a quality check to their module.

Maybe doing a skin contest.

Please somebody of ED. Just a short update on this, if its already on the Hornets roamap.

Have you visited the User Files section at all?

I have downloaded 174 USN/USMC Hornet liveries, 152 Tomcat A/B liveries, 33 Viking liveries, and 31 Hawkeye liveries. Plus the default ones we get. Despite all that I can only make one complete CVW that matches any of our carriers because livery creators use the wrong ship names or tail codes.

livery creators use the wrong ship names or tail codes.

And if it's not that, the livery is correct for its time-period, but the ship doesn't exist in DCS (e.g. anything on CVN-65).

That said, I've got a VFA-82 livery in the works (c.1997 on CVN-73).

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

both color birds and line birds are needed. Like the marines liveries.

Anybody know why ED does both verions for the marines but just line birds for the Navy ones?

I have downloaded 174 USN/USMC Hornet liveries, 152 Tomcat A/B liveries, 33 Viking liveries, and 31 Hawkeye liveries. Plus the default ones we get. Despite all that I can only make one complete CVW that matches any of our carriers because livery creators use the wrong ship names or tail codes.

Yeah, it's a mess, I agree. I'd like to get a complete CVW-5 for 2 era's but that's just a dream I guess. Not to mention, we have only an E-2D that is totally out of line with any of the era's...

The Dynamic Modex numbers look fine to me, but it would be helpful if each skin had some kind of config file where you could designate a font or something in case they have a different font. In my circle of friends its really annoying when we're trying to fly a Tomcat mission and all three of us have the same Modex and all are somehow flying the CO's bird. Its also helpful for things like Harriers, where we can simulate a MEU deployment or an entire squadron deployment and change the Modex numbers to fit (i.e. 54 vs 04).

Now you're talking! If only we could change the font. But I wont hold my breath. The Dynamic fonts as they are right now just make me cringe.

both color birds and line birds are needed. Like the marines liveries.

Anybody know why ED does both verions for the marines but just line birds for the Navy ones?

Or they're always the color bird(s) and never a line bird.

I can't speak for the Navy, but when I was with HMM-163 in the Marine Corps, we only had one colored bird, double nuts (00). When we deployed aboard USS Boxer, double nuts was painted up like one of the other birds and we had no colored birds until we got back to Miramar over seven months later. Not sure what this means for Navy fighter squadrons of the 80s and 90s but that's just my observation, and I'd like to hear from other vets who worked around Naval Aviation to see what their experiences were.

I can't speak for the Navy, but when I was with HMM-163 in the Marine Corps, we only had one colored bird, double nuts (00). When we deployed aboard USS Boxer, double nuts was painted up like one of the other birds and we had no colored birds until we got back to Miramar over seven months later. Not sure what this means for Navy fighter squadrons of the 80s and 90s but that's just my observation, and I'd like to hear from other vets who worked around Naval Aviation to see what their experiences were.

In the 20+ years I served (Navy), we only had one color bird for every squadron onboard. Even in very colorful CAG 5 (well VFA-102 had 100 and 102 painted up but I think #102 was for the anniversary of that squadron). I did serve on an LHD and there were no colored birds at all. At sometime, somewhere between 2012 and 2017, the Navy was having some sort of paint problem and all were directed to dumb down the colors. The colors eventually came back. I think it all depends on leadership. Also, from what I understand from the airframe guys that paint them, they are only allowed to paint the birds so many times before it starts to disturb the low observable stealthily qualities of the jet or just the airframe itself. Can't remember which. But that's maybe for the newer jets like Rhino's and such. I've never worked with Tomcats but from what I've seen is the CAG and commanders birds had color, so that makes 2. It is wild to see how colors have changed since the 70's and 80's though.

On my end, I'd just like to see the modex number issue fixed and maybe some existing liveries to be adjusted for the 2000-2007 period, which is what our Hornet can realistically operate in. I'd also be in favor of keeping only liveries relevant to the carriers we have in the game.

I don't want ED to add every single livery to the game, they'll just take up storage space. Still, it's nothing like the F-14's, which take up 10 times more space per livery.

If people are really against using user made liveries, it's a good idea for ED to have a few "livery packs" (free, of course) that the user can choose from, such as a "CVW-5 livery pack", that would install liveries relevant to the squadrons of the CVW-5, for that time period.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

If people are really against using user made liveries, it's a good idea for ED to have a few "livery packs" (free, of course) that the user can choose from, such as a "CVW-5 livery pack", that would install liveries relevant to the squadrons of the CVW-5, for that time period.

If we have the liveries. Taking the CVW-5 example, we do have a few CVW-5 Hornet and Tomcat skins in the user files, but they are too few in number, with the years/deployments not aligning between all of them. If you tried to make, say a 2003 cruise, we've got two VFA-27 jets and two VFA-192 jets from that year. But no VFA-195 or VF-154 jets from that year. And four jets can hardly make up a CVW so....