Development report

6S.Duke

Thank you Duke, great list, can't wait for the update!

29 minutes ago, gulredrel said:

Looking forward to the fix regarding taxi explosions due to fragile nosewheel.

Me too, I really wanna see if the 339 can survive in an online high threat environment... up to now I always died on the taxiway!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gianky said:

Will do!

The problem is, especially with online game sessions, that the track file is usually big and got easily corrupted. Are Tacview tracks useful?

It happened to me few time as well, especially on Siria map, I play mostly online so..... try to taxi on the runway without weapons, just fuel, and rearm and refuel just before to enter the runway. Also Taxxi super slow, if you start hearing the nose gear noise bumping up and down just break smoothly. Might not a solution but worth a try. 

@6S.Duke Regarding the nose wheel. Just a theoretical consideration.

I think the reason for the damage/explosion is the extensive G-Forces, that the plane experiences when running over bumps in the runway - that very momentarily (momentarily is the clue here) reach very high values - way above the structural strength of the airframe.

I can imagine that those g-forces fluctuate strongly when taxiing on the ground and usually need to be smoothed (to eliminate runaway values and to account for inertia and dampening of the nosewheel assembly). Perhaps the time period over which the g-loads are averaged to smoothen the output is too short? Leading to ~8-10G spikes.

Or it is the other way round - the treshold for structural damage due to G-forces needs to be less sensitive (regarding the time period the treshold is violated - e.g. the structural damage treshold must be crossed for 3 ms, instead of 1 ms to be triggered)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

5 hours ago, Bigskill said:

It happened to me few time as well, especially on Siria map, I play mostly online so..... try to taxi on the runway without weapons, just fuel, and rearm and refuel just before to enter the runway. Also Taxxi super slow, if you start hearing the nose gear noise bumping up and down just break smoothly. Might not a solution but worth a try. 

Rearming and refueling before entering the runway is a great idea, I'll try that. Even taxying below 10 knots might help, yesterday I was on Hoggit training server at Senaki and I managed to take off without blowing (AAA took care of that, later... 😄).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gianky said:

Rearming and refueling before entering the runway is a great idea, I'll try that. Even taxying below 10 knots might help, yesterday I was on Hoggit training server at Senaki and I managed to take off without blowing (AAA took care of that, later... 😄).

As far as I can tell, that all doesn't matter. It seems more (to mee) that certain spots on the runway are more dangerous than others. Extremly deep potholes... 😅

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 12/2/2022 at 9:53 AM, Hiob said:

@6S.Duke Regarding the nose wheel. Just a theoretical consideration.

I think the reason for the damage/explosion is the extensive G-Forces, that the plane experiences when running over bumps in the runway - that very momentarily (momentarily is the clue here) reach very high values - way above the structural strength of the airframe.

I can imagine that those g-forces fluctuate strongly when taxiing on the ground and usually need to be smoothed (to eliminate runaway values and to account for inertia and dampening of the nosewheel assembly). Perhaps the time period over which the g-loads are averaged to smoothen the output is too short? Leading to ~8-10G spikes.

Or it is the other way round - the treshold for structural damage due to G-forces needs to be less sensitive (regarding the time period the treshold is violated - e.g. the structural damage treshold must be crossed for 3 ms, instead of 1 ms to be triggered)

I'm guessing the devs saw them anyway, however, regarding Hiob's hypothesis, take a look at the pictures in this post:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only did a short flight. cold start Kobuleti, taxied to RW 07. No problems with the nose wheel. After landing I went from the runway through the grass to the ramp. Even there, no problem. Will need to do further flights.

Thanks @6S.Duke and IFE for the key bindings. Nice to have the weapon stations 1 to 6 and the extend / retract airbrake with intermediate positions now.

I think fuze selection binding nose tail is a bit weird. It toggles from safe to nose / tail position and than to tail. from there on nose / tail and tail. the tail only binding toggles between safe and tail only consistently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only did a short flight. cold start Kobuleti, taxied to RW 07. No problems with the nose wheel. After landing I went from the runway through the grass to the ramp. Even there, no problem. Will need to do further flights.

Thanks @6S.Duke and IFE for the key bindings. Nice to have the weapon stations 1 to 6 and the extend / retract airbrake with intermediate positions now.
I think fuze selection binding nose tail is a bit weird. It toggles from safe to nose / tail position and than to tail. from there on nose / tail and tail. the tail only binding toggles between safe and tail only consistently.
Thanks you too for supporting us.
Regarding keybindings any suggestion is well accepted. We have to do them to be easy to use for you... So if you want, feel free to open a dedicated thread on this forum asking for improvements

Inviato dal mio ASUS_I005D utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi @6S.Duke, and happy new year to you and all IFE team members!

What's boiling in the pot? The January OB update seems to be soon to be released and I'm curious about what will include for Mb-339...

• Like 3

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

Yeah, shame.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 6S.Duke said:

Sorry we were on holiday and we did not worked for the last release.
MB339 update will be available with the next patch

Hey, welcome back! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just some feedback on my impressions reading thru this forum.

I do not own this module, but decided to look through the issues before I pulled the trigger on what looks like a very nice implementation.

I own the other dcs trainer modules, am interested in this one in particular as it has waypoint navigation. And the cockpit looks gorgeous 🙂

It looks like you have a core group of loyal supporters active on this forum, and you have been nicely communicative with them.

However I fear everyone's patience is being a little stretched given the period of time it is taking to fix some pretty serious issues.

For me (even though I don't own the module), these are wrong Nav bearing, Comms n/w with Tacan, AoA not working, and of course the infamous NWS blow-up.

I understand it has been christmas break. But some of these bugs were implied to be somewhat easy to fix (eg AoA).

Looking at the recent OB changelogs, it does not provide an impression of good triage and prioritisation of issues.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is before the goodwill you have clearly earned with this great release begins to get lost, which it doesn't look like it has yet, I think it would be good to focus on and communicate a plan to address some of these long standing issues.

cheers 

• Like 7

I would say something which could be controversial, but I agree some of the above points.

This is not an early access module and I would say, to be fair, it is a very feature-complete one too. There are a number of features not found on other modules, both ED and third-parities alike. And as a fan of the plane, it is very appreciative.

I tend to agree that the issues presented in the module is very noticeable and then, the changelog for this module is no where to the others, like Mirage F1 and Mirage 2000C, have much more improvements through each iteration.

I tend not to speculate the reasons behind but IEF has always present in this forum and has been very supportive. As a very experienced burnt victim who have witnessed way too many patches needing further patches, I would rather wait for a fix which does things once and for all.

My humble opinion presented for your considerations.

• Like 3

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 7 months later...

Preliminary changelog for next patch:
* Fixed: Z Fighting in the exhaust tube
* Fixed: the MB-339 has no lods
* Fixed: Blind hood animation is not synchronized between internal and external model
* Fixed: AI jettisons canopy when parking
* Fixed: luggage and recon pod are diplayed as Rockets on the weapon panel
* Fixed: canopy does not demist when open
* Fixed: COMM1 radio initialisation
* Fixed: Anomalous Morse signal heard in cockpit
* Fixed: 3D model has no lods
* Added: Three position flaps keybinding
* Added: Joystick trigger with two detents keybindings
* Added: Gunsight Repeater
* Added: Guncamera
* Added: New Net Animations
* Improved AI Damage Model
* Updated Flight manual

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

• 2 months later...

Next OB patch preliminary changelog:

• Fixed: HSI course setting does not take into account the magnetic declination
  • Fixed: Pitch Trim insufficient
  • Improved: Flight model - Lateral stability
  • Improved: Flight model - Rudder efficiency at low speed (better control in crosswind conditions)
  • Added: Keybindings for Master Caution, AHR/GPS System, HSI Nav Modes:
    • MASTER CAUTION
      • Master Caution Reset
    • AHR/GPS System
      • FWD CDU - Edit Row 1
      • FWD CDU - Edit Row 2
      • FWD CDU - Edit Row 3
      • FWD CDU - Edit Row 4
      • FWD CDU - SET
      • FWD CDU - BRT
      • FWD CDU - Num -
      • FWD CDU - Num +