Reverb G2 or Quest 2?

gtr1400

I want to get started in VR DCS World and not sure which to go for G2 or Q2 wondering if my set up can handle it?

My system is:

Asus TUF Gaming X570

Ryzen 9 3900x

Evga RTX2060 SC ULT 6gb gddr6

32gb Corsair Vengdance 3600mz ddr4

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1T name ssd

750w pdu

I know my GPU could be a problem but haven't the budget at the moment for 2080ti or 3080

and would have to run at lower resolution for the time been till the prices dropped.

I know the higher resolution is desirable or can you have a good experience with a lower resolutions?

Is it worth getting a VR headset on this present system?

• Like 1

Well I just a reverb G2 in the mail today and wow is it clear, might be easier to read the guages in the headset than on my triple screen setup. I came from an original rift, just upgraded and despite some initial problems I can tell you based on what I read the G2 is far clearer than the quest 2. Can't really advise on the specs part though will have to leave that for someone else.

Yes, your spec is good enough to play DCS in VR your build is solid apart from the GPU. G2 is the better quality option but is more expensive. The Quest 2 is a good headset and cheaper than G2 but you also have the Facebook login issue. I hope you enjoy DCS in VR, personally, I don't play DCS in anything but VR it's a total game-changer.

• Like 1

G2 is the better quality option but is more expensive. The Quest 2 is a good headset and cheaper than G2 ...

It is questionable. You need to notice when you add the cost of the link cable, better comfortable strap solution, and similar audio solution Q2 is raised in price at similar level as G2.

Yes, the initial costs are not equal but G2 higher price worth every cent so I will not compare those two in price because the level of end quality is not in the same range to be compared. It is a completely different approach to establishing a price. The lower price of Q2 comes with a "price".

G2 is the best balanced VR product in terms of what you get for the buck.

• 4 weeks later...

I play on a quest 2 with a gtx1070. Would love to get the G2 but gonna be a long time until I can afford a better grfx card. The quest 2 is pretty good once you get everything dialed in. I have a 10 foot $20 link cable that works good and charges. I usually play wirelessly by using virtual desktop. I already had a wifi6 router which makes a huge difference, but is expensive. 

G2 is better but only if your machine can push it.

Reverb G2 definitely!

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

It looks like the Reverb G2 is pulling ahead. Must we operate the Virtual joysticks and mouse to access and manipulate the instrumentation in the aircraft. I will be putting my coin down on HP Reverb. All replies are appreciated. 

Financeman

To improve is to change:I am homesick only for the places I have never been to

48 minutes ago, Photon said:

I hope I'm doing something wrong, but I have a 2080 super, and can't get a good fps even with lower resolution and low graphics 😕

The Reverb is just insanely demanding because of its resolution. I still use a 2070Super (new system ordered and on its way), and I run with 50% Steam SS and VR-preset in DCS. This is the only way I can get good framerates, and even with those potato settings, Syria knocks my hardware down: the Huey free flight IA mission for example is a slideshow while flying around the starter airbase.

But then again I was fully aware I would have to upgrade my system dramatically for the G2 to run properly in DCS...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I have the Rift CV1, the Rift S, the Quest 2, and the Reverb G2. Hands down, the G2 is the best option for DCS. With my older PC and basic GTX 1080, the G2 looks better and runs the same or better for any given settings despite its higher resolution. I run with forced motion reprojection (45 fps) and in most situations I can hold that, compared to the Rift S at 40 fps. I didn't see the G2 as being much of a step up from the Rift S for DCS World except in the area of fps, as it has the 90/45 fps as an option, which allows me to match the 45 fps of the G2 and CV1 compared to the 80/40 fps of the Rift S. After flying with the G2 for weeks, it is hard to fly using the Rift S or Quest 2 as the cockpit looks so much better using the G2 with MSAAx2.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Brilliant, informative thread.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Got quest 2 for Christmas. Not sure if it's for DCS. If you want mobility games such as Beat Saber and a decent PCVR to play space games like Eve Valkyrie and Star Wars Squadron, Quest 2 is the best. However, if you're looking for a good VR for DCS, I think something like a G2 (I don't own one, I have CV1 now Q2) might be better. So far, the Quest 2 is superior image quality over my CV1 but it has a very small sweet spot. Everything in front of me is nice and clear (cockpit wise) but beyond 500 feet out it's blurry. While playing Huey campaign, I looked over to my wing man and he's blurry. Distance objects such as buildings, vehicles, other air frames in the sky all looked blurry in my opinion. Normally, even on my old CV1, you can make out the type of helos flying in the distance but on Q2 although I can see the shape you can't really make out the type. Maybe it's just me but I didn't have this issue with my CV1.

I've tested my cable and I'm getting about 2.1gb bandwidth. I'm running @ 72Hz max 5408x2736, PD 1.0 with MSAA 2x and SAA 1.5 getting about 35 fps. Honestly, I don't think it matters for DCS, you will get blurry on distance objects period. I can tell from Oculus home itself that anything not within the sweet spot is blurry. I think it's the nature of the beast. Oh and SD effects are still there maybe not as much but please load a night mission up and see for yourself. Hopefully, the G2 price will drop someday for me to grab one for DCS but I may have to bite the bullet if the Apache arrives before the price drop.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Gunfighter6
forgot a word and how do I add my signature to post?

Win 10 · i9900K@stock · 4070Ti· ASUS Z390-A · SSD · 64Gb · TM Warthog · CV1 · Quest 2