Harpoons do very little damage

FalcoGer

Harpoons do not do reasonable damage. I shot at a Molniya, which is the smallest military ship available. The two harpoons that did hit did 0% and 37% damage against this tiny ship that is 1/20th the size of the missile. (two missiles missed because of another bug).

A gun run did more damage than two harpoons combined. This is very questionable. In comparison with other anti ship missiles harpoons do so little damage they are ineffective.

https://forums.eagle.ru/filedata/fetch?id=7147837

• Like 4

+1

In comparison with other anti ship missiles harpoons do so little damage they are ineffective.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Missiles are fine, it is ship damage model that needs improvement. 

it is in progress

thanks

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Missiles are fine, it is ship damage model that needs improvement. 

it is in progress

thanks

No doubt about that, but if the DM rework for ships is still years away it would be great to have bigger damage output for the missiles meanwhile.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

No doubt about that, but if the DM rework for ships is still years away it would be great to have bigger damage output for the missiles meanwhile.

We are working as fast as we can, but adjusting damage of the weapon to wrong values would be a bad move in my opinion. 

thanks

• Like 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

We are working as fast as we can, but adjusting damage of the weapon to wrong values would be a bad move in my opinion. 

thanks

Alright, fair enough. I hope it won't take too long with the new ship DM, as the current one makes Harpoons and other ASMs pretty useless, even if they get through the ship's air defenses.

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

The DM would be good for damaging systems, but IMO we would need proper ship sinking dynamics (think Cold Waters or SH4) to do the actual sinking side of it.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

8 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Fair point, but is there a possibility to consider this a "temporary" fix until the DM for ships arrives? I know the work you are doing on the DM is taking time and I respect that. I think ED did a fantastic job on the WW2 DM and I enjoy it immensely. But let's be fair: DM for ships is probably quite a ways off. If I remember well, the next big milestone for the new DM is jets, and there is a fair few of them to go through...

In the meantime, the Viggen can do actual anti-ship missions without feeling like you are throwing rotten fruits at a brick wall. For sure, the missile damage output is probably "cheated", but at least they work for now. Is there a chance to have a similar "quick fix" by increasing the damage output of the Harpoon, until such a time when the DM is finished?

I also want to point out that the next major map release from ED is the Marianas, according to the newsletters, which has nice little islands but a huge ocean as well. Considering ships will play a huge role on that map, ED should consider to make anti-ship warfare at least feasible. Even if that means giving the Harpoon a too high damage output that, later, needs to be reverted back once the ship DM is upgraded.

• Like 2

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

• ED Team

I dont want to give a date for better ship damage, but it is in active development. We will have to continue to be patient.

thank you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katalan said:

Best way to sink boats its from far, an A10 gun run. Only a few couples of GBU-24 do the same effect.
Try to sink a submarine... piercing it with A10 it’s so funny!!!

I don't think anyone was complaining about damage to non-protected ships. Ships with CWIS and anti-aircraft missiles, like AEGIS cruisers and destroyers or their russian counterparts, are impossible to get close to for gun runs. If you throw a nice coordinated attack with long-range missiles from multiple azimuts, you can overwhelm their defences. The complaint is that, if you do that, and somehow one or two missiles get through, they barely make a dent into the ship rendering the whole thing pretty pointless. Same for bombs: either you are on top of a defenseless ship to be able to lase continously, or the ship has to be stationary for a JSOW to make the hit. Works on cargos and subs, but not on destroyers and cruisers (or worse, carriers).

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

1 hour ago, Qiou87 said:

I don't think anyone was complaining about damage to non-protected ships.

I do. There is no difference in damage modeling between protected and non-protected ships. Anti ship missiles do not enough damage on both of them.

Overwhelming the defenses is an entirely different topic and has nothing to do with damage modeling.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I do. There is no difference in damage modeling between protected and non-protected ships. Anti ship missiles do not enough damage on both of them.

Overwhelming the defenses is an entirely different topic and has nothing to do with damage modeling.

It was poorly worded on my part. What I wanted to say was that non-protected ships can be hit with different weapons, like heavy bombs, to somehow mitigate the issue (it is still there, I agree). A defended warship cannot be attacked in such a way, anti ship missiles are the primary weapon for that, so it is a shame that they are so useless. But in general the final fix will be the new DM for ships...

3 hours ago, Qiou87 said:

It was poorly worded on my part. What I wanted to say was that non-protected ships can be hit with different weapons, like heavy bombs, to somehow mitigate the issue (it is still there, I agree). A defended warship cannot be attacked in such a way, anti ship missiles are the primary weapon for that, so it is a shame that they are so useless. But in general the final fix will be the new DM for ships...

Oh, I see what you mean now :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg