[REPORTED]F-16 VAHS Heading Scale not moving with FPM in certain Master Modes

SaladinoSaurus

Posting a bug report about the VAHS Heading Scale not moving with the FPM in the following Master Modes: NAV, AAM/A-A, JETT and MSL. The A-G and DGFT mode DON'T have this behavior, explained later.

In these three videos (I have timestamped the rough moments of when you can see the Heading Scale move down with the FPM(Flight Path Marker)) you can see that the Heading Scale is moving with the FPM downwards, I do understand that these F-16s are all different, but in my eyes it would make sense that the Heading Scale moves with the FPM to prevent them "going through" each other and not being able to see your heading / FPM:

This video is a very new F-16 even with AUTO-GCAS (not important, just a fun fact), the VAHS Scale is also a newer one as you can see with the Speed, Altitude and Heading box showing the exact heading, look closely under the black square in the middle after you've clicked the link, you can see the Heading Scale moving down with the FPM. I assume this is in NAV mode.

This is a tricky one. Here you can see "the" older VAHS Scale with no Speed, Altitude or Heading box. I have timestamped roughly 2 or 3 seconds before you can see that the pilot is going into JETT mode and if you look VERY closely, you can see the FPM bump down the Heading scale for a fraction of a second before he gets back into A-G mode.

This HUD footage also shows the older VAHS Scale, after he simulated his weapons employment with his AIM-9 (in SIM and MSL master mode) he pulls up and you can see the FPM bump down the Heading Scale again, just to show this happens in NAV, AAM, JETT and MSL Master Modes. In A-G mode the Heading Scale is always just below the Boresight cross thingy of the HUD, and in DGFT mode there is no Heading Scale showed lol.

(He ejected and is fine, he got away somewhat unharmed)

In DCS none of this is the case, I have made simple screenshots, all of this is in NAV mode, but I have tested and it's exactly the same for AAM, JETT and MSL mode:

50121410_Spot_the_FPM(1).png.8bdb801f5a53857ab407b9905ef42e37.png

2091469429_Spot_the_FPM(2).jpg.6a71f9104d2028a215517a09c26d744b.jpg

712797100_Spot_the_FPM(3).jpg.be91be79c5765d0718746db6788e2280.jpg

I have a Falcon/Viper's eye!

EDIT: When landing gear is down, the Heading Scale also behaves differently, but that seem to be correct in DCS, so no need to change that.

• Like 1

• ED Team

I am not 100% sure on this, but I have made a report to the team for investigation.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 years later...

Posting a bug report about the VAHS Heading Scale not moving with the FPM in the following Master Modes: NAV, AAM/A-A, JETT and MSL. The A-G and DGFT mode DON'T have this behavior, explained later.

In these three videos (I have timestamped the rough moments of when you can see the Heading Scale move down with the FPM(Flight Path Marker)) you can see that the Heading Scale is moving with the FPM downwards, I do understand that these F-16s are all different, but it would make sense that the Heading Scale moves with the FPM to prevent them "going through" each other and not being able to see your heading / FPM:

This video is a very new F-16, the VAHS Scale is also a newer one as you can see with the Speed, Altitude and Heading box showing the exact heading, look closely under the black square in the middle after you've clicked the link, you can see the Heading Scale moving down with the FPM. I assume this is in NAV mode.

This is a tricky one. Here you can see "the" older VAHS Scale with no Speed, Altitude or Heading box. I have timestamped roughly 2 or 3 seconds before you can see that the pilot is going into JETT mode and if you look VERY closely, you can see the FPM bump down the Heading scale for a fraction of a second before he gets back into A-G mode.

This HUD footage also shows the older VAHS Scale, after he simulated his weapons employment with his AIM-9 (in SIM and MSL master mode) he pulls up and you can see the FPM bump down the Heading Scale again, just to show this happens in NAV, AAM, JETT and MSL Master Modes. In A-G mode the Heading Scale is always just below the Boresight cross thingy of the HUD, and in DGFT mode there is no Heading Scale showed lol.

(He ejected and is fine, he got away somewhat unharmed)

In DCS none of this is the case, I have made simple screenshots, all of this is in NAV mode, but I have tested and it's exactly the same for AAM, JETT and MSL mode:

image.png

image.png

image.png

When landing gear is down, the Heading Scale also behaves differently, but that seem to be correct in DCS, so no need to change that.

VAHS FPM bug.trk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Indeed I did, I reposted it because it got marked as [REPORTED] but it's still present in this version. 

I might've made a mistake calling it VAHS instead of VAH (it might be VAH)
It's a small bug that irks me because I lose track of my FPM sometimes, because it's cluttered in the Heading scale. VAH is just the name for all the tapes/scales you see on the HUD, so Velocity, Altitude and Heading (VAH). I called it this because I thought it'd be easier to find *this acronym in the manual

Edited by SaladinoSaurus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1