Testing soon (friday at the latest) in 2d and VR. RTX 3080 vs 3090

Since it turns out to be quite impossible to get some usable information about the amount of Vram and it's relation to DCS performance , i guess i must test myself.

I already have a 3080, tomorrow i will also have a 3090 and will see (friday) if it's actually worth buying a 3090 over a 3080 for DCS.

If any of you have any specific in game scenario's you would like to be 'tested' please post here. I'm not going to spend days testing, and i'm not some professional test guy so if you have requests please keep it really simple and low effort.

Well like i suspected, doesn't make a difference. None of it really ... 3440x1440 vs 1920x1080 , no difference really. 2x Msaa vs 4x Msaa , again no difference really.

And you know what the weirdest thing is ? The only instance when it touches 60 fps, is at the end of the F3 flyby view, with a plane that is nothing more than a dot, and nothing but blue sky around it :D

So, the blue sky actually seems much more taxing than the dense forest ? In 2d that is.

In VR this is not the case, there it's just the other way around.

Probably something weird with the cpu going on when flying straight up ? Altough i can't imagine what, when there's no A.I , only me flying in empty caucasus. What on earth is going on in this engine . Video's are still being encoded by youtube so quality will get better so you can actually read the FPS hopefully.

1080P, 4x msaa :

3440x1440 , 4x msaa

• Like 1

Well, after much testing and after the placebo effect wore off, i have to conclude that it doesn't matter what you throw at DCS, it will always run like sh*t.

As far as 3090 vs 3080 (with 8700K @ 5 ghz, and 32 GB of RAM) , the only difference is that you shave 1 or 2 milliseconds of your frametime in VR. But , that doesn't translate at all to a 'performance increase', because it's still a stuttering heap of misery.

It's a sad state of affairs.

1617594791_oldcrap.JPG.ff3fc9458c98245cfe745fc3e1cafc5b.JPG

So, what was the point? To show us how you could get stuttering with a 3090? Now show us how you can get picture perfect framerates with a 3090. I can do it with 32GB RAM on an i7 with a 1080Ti. I can also get it to stutter without much effort at all. Back to the drawing board my friend.

• Like 1