Sitting a little too close in the default VR position?

FoxTwo

Not sure if something changed recently, I haven't been in the F-14 for a while and hopped back into the A model and it feels like the default head position is way too far forward.

I mean I know how to move it back some and save it but I'm trying to figure out how high/far forward my eyes should actually be and currently the starting position doesn't feel right.

Yes I noticed as well the default position was moved forward from where I saved it. What the proper position should be is very difficult to tell if you haven't physically sat it one, or until we have a first-person pilot model available: then you can line up your physical shoulders with the shoulders of the pilot model (which is what I did in the Hornet for example).

Right now the only thing you can do is switch to F2 view and look at where the pilot's head is, and try to line yourself up that way...

Or as an approximation you can try lining up the position of the in-cockpit flight stick with your joystick (only if you use a centre-mounted setup), or look at the ejection seat handles and guesstimate where between your legs they would be IRL...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Doesn't look too bad for me in the A or B. I usually check by checking the seat back relative to where my back would be (or is) and the same with seat height in comparison to where my real seat is. I always reset my view when first starting DCS World, and periodically, by just looking forward with my head straight and level and pressing numpad 5. Some games I have to adjust it manually by moving my head forward, back, up or down, then pressing the reset view key, but DCS World is pretty much always spot on for me with a comfortable position looking straight ahead.

It's not ridiculously far forward, but it's where you might be if you were leaning forward in the harness to look at the instruments more closely not resting the helmet on the headrest. if you look in the external model the pilots seem to lean forward a bit as well, especially when looking around.

On another note, the F-14 is much better for VR position vertically for me than other planes. I'm very tall and in the F-14 I feel the seat is the right distance away when I look down. In other planes it's too close to my face for how tall I know I am. I hope the Tomcat gets the fully moving seats like the F-16 and Mirage have!

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4