Operation Scarlet Dawn - Syria PvE Persistent Campaign

52 minutes ago, Surrexen said:

Scarlet Dawn's update has been sent to user files:  https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313323/

Please Be Advised:

1. If you change things, and things don't work, it's not my problem

2. Enabling persistency is now a requirement for the mission to run as the order of the running of scripts has changed to facilitate changes

3. Ensure you remove any existing persistence files before starting the new version to avoid any unwanted Imperial entanglements

4. Be aware that all helicopter slots at London and Paris have been set to "takeoff parking hot" instead of "takeoff from ground hot", and that occasionally AI helicopters will launch from the FARPs. For busy servers you may want to readjust this so you don't have players spawning all over each other. I like the ridiculous illumination that the FARP provides when taking off properly from the pads. You should too.

5. At the 30 second mark you will be notified that you have 1 Tomahawk Missile available to launch. You can request via radio 'request support' to launch it from either the CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln or the CV-59 Forrestal. The strike will launch at the currently assigned mission target when fired. Since I am unable to get it to reliably work with an AttackGroup command, it will use FireAtPoint. Therefore, do not waste your Tomahawks on moving targets (like Ships or whatever). You acquire + 1 Tomahawk Strikes every 30 minutes. The Tomahawks can be shot down by the enemy, so be clever about things. The idea here is that the Tomahawk's are limited so it's not completely overpowered. May end up adjusting things but we'll see how we go.

6. There are now 181 'missions', destroying all mission targets will trigger an Annihilation Victory and auto-scrub all data from persistence files and relaunch the mission after 1 minute. Capturing all airfields from Phases 1-4 should trigger a Take And Hold Victory and do the same thing. Yes, it's a Dawn of War reference.

7. As mentioned, the CV-59 Forrestal has been added, and has it's own pair of F-14A Tomcat's for air cover, and also launches an E-2D Hawkeye for more Southern AWACS coverage. It's on 265MHz AM. I changed all the Southern airframes to default to 265MHz on a radio and added 266MHz for the E-3A on a separate channel. Hopefully I didn't miss any.

It sounds like Ugra Media are now going to add in Deir es-Zor after all ... I feel a migraine coming on.

Happy Flying

Thanks a lot!, I am looking forward to fly it in COOP MP with all my squadron mates, I will report you the outcome, around 15-20 pilots on line.

Hi @Surrexen

The Mission is really great and I enjoyed an earlier Version quite a lot. Since I've been busy working on The F-104g not much MP-Mission flying could be done.

And here is a question regarding The changing of units and deleting of client-airframes since I would like to take The Mission back to The 70s:

1. If The group and unit names stay The same, can I change e.g. a T90 to a t55? Sa10 to SA3? KA-50 to UH-1? Do I need to take special care regarding something while doing that? Is reducing The number of group-units o.k. or does it brake the script?

2. Is swapping of client airframes or deleting them possible? Something to keep in mind while doing that?

Thanks again for The Mission and all The time you invested in it 👍😀

7 hours ago, PeeJott17 said:

Hi @Surrexen

The Mission is really great and I enjoyed an earlier Version quite a lot. Since I've been busy working on The F-104g not much MP-Mission flying could be done.

And here is a question regarding The changing of units and deleting of client-airframes since I would like to take The Mission back to The 70s:

1. If The group and unit names stay The same, can I change e.g. a T90 to a t55? Sa10 to SA3? KA-50 to UH-1? Do I need to take special care regarding something while doing that? Is reducing The number of group-units o.k. or does it brake the script?

2. Is swapping of client airframes or deleting them possible? Something to keep in mind while doing that?

Thanks again for The Mission and all The time you invested in it 👍😀

Sounds like you are really after a totally different mission to what I've made. You can change the client slots to whatever you want, helo's need to be single helo flights to work properly with the helo ops stuff. You could change the ground groups to whatever you like and change as appropriate the mission list so it has the changed group names. To get red air to be restricted to certain airframes you would need to modify the templates and the airforce scripts. In short, a lot of mucking about ... but it can be done. Probably easier to just build a completely new mission haha.

Great, thanks a lot. Regarding that I'm after something different, well not really, just in regards of time frame and units that fit to it 😉 Since The Mission is pretty cool and it works perfect, I really "just" have to Swap units and don't break anything in The process 😉

On a first look I thought if I just changed units in The ME and let The group-names stay The same it might work...on a second look I thought, that that would be way to easy and decided to ask someone Who should know best 😉

New version seems to be running great so far, but there is quite a bit of random stutter in the first 10 minutes or so for me, then it goes away and it runs perfectly smooth. Maybe just scripts loading and units spawning in?

I have been wondering, are we supposed to start at the north from Incirlik or south from Ramat David, or does it matter? is there and order in which we should progress? The briefing says phase 1 is to capture airbases in Turkey and Israel, so can we just attack from either air base?

1 hour ago, ZeroReady said:

New version seems to be running great so far, but there is quite a bit of random stutter in the first 10 minutes or so for me, then it goes away and it runs perfectly smooth. Maybe just scripts loading and units spawning in?

I have been wondering, are we supposed to start at the north from Incirlik or south from Ramat David, or does it matter? is there and order in which we should progress? The briefing says phase 1 is to capture airbases in Turkey and Israel, so can we just attack from either air base?

Yes that would be the planes spawning in, can't do much about that unfortunately. No it doesn't matter how you approach the mission, since anything you kill on the ground will be recorded (providing everything is set up right). You can do it however you like, in whatever order you like. The operation will be successful if you either 1. destroy all ground targets from the mission 'list', or 2. capture all required airfields. Typically, the best approach is to dismantle the SAM radars first to open up space (think Desert Storm), either by doing SEAD/DEAD missions yourself or by calling in the SEAD planes whenever they are available (or preferably both to speed things up a little). Calling in the CAP planes to a sector you want to operate in (or to provide cover to whatever else you call in), or generally just calling in everything and watching the chaos unfold. You could also just build a load of tanks with or whatever with the helo's and then roll them across the map using combined arms if that's your thing (since the location of whatever you build will get saved periodically).

Main thing is, don't forget to use the radio support functions. It was never intended that anyone go out and try to do it all alone.

Edit: I've also got something nearing completion for a certain Pacific Island ...

Edited by Surrexen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Surrexen,

Merry Christmas 🙂

I'm trying to modify you mission, i'm a big LUA noob,

I try to modify or duplicate the existing KC135 to be faster (Ok to refuel A10, pretty slow for a F16)

What file i need to modify ? From my understanding, it's the 'Scarlet Dawn Templates' and the 'Scarlet Dawn Mission'

in that function 'function SEF_SHELL_SPAWN()' 

Could i add another aircraft or i need to duplicate all the function  and have something like

'function SEF_SHELL_SPAWN2()'  with different settings ?

The mission file call the template file ? not sure to understand the structure.

Sorry for that basics editing, when i simply try to modify the speed of the Shell , the game crash 😞

Regards ,

4 hours ago, ThoWmas31 said:

Hello Surrexen,

Merry Christmas 🙂

I'm trying to modify you mission, i'm a big LUA noob,

I try to modify or duplicate the existing KC135 to be faster (Ok to refuel A10, pretty slow for a F16)

What file i need to modify ? From my understanding, it's the 'Scarlet Dawn Templates' and the 'Scarlet Dawn Mission'

in that function 'function SEF_SHELL_SPAWN()' 

Could i add another aircraft or i need to duplicate all the function  and have something like

'function SEF_SHELL_SPAWN2()'  with different settings ?

The mission file call the template file ? not sure to understand the structure.

Sorry for that basics editing, when i simply try to modify the speed of the Shell , the game crash 😞

Regards ,

Merry Christmas!

You would only really need to change the speed values in function SEF_SHELL_SPAWN() if you want to modify the existing plane to be faster (Shell was always in there for A-10's, not for F-16's). The value for speed is in meters per second. Duplicating the function would lead to a lot of other functions needing changes/additions. I guess I can add a 'fast' KC135 in for the Apache update so you can see what's what.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Surrexen said:

Merry Christmas!

You would only really need to change the speed values in function SEF_SHELL_SPAWN() if you want to modify the existing plane to be faster (Shell was always in there for A-10's, not for F-16's). The value for speed is in meters per second. Duplicating the function would lead to a lot of other functions needing changes/additions. I guess I can add a 'fast' KC135 in for the Apache update so you can see what's what.

Thank you for your support, Apache will be a amazing update, i'm not sure to continue flying F-16 when apache come haha 😄

Yes if you can add a faster tanker for F16 and F15 (we can dream about F15E) for a further update it should be really cool

A10 have a huge range, that not the case for the F16 without external tank and if you use the after burner 🙂 

I will try to modify only the SEF_SHELL_SPAWN(),

I will keep you in touch

Fly safe 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening, I'm having some difficulties running this on a dedicated server with persistency. I have the required lines in missionscripting.lau -- commented out in both saved games and root directory. However, upon restarting the server due to a friendly C130 that would no land at an airfield and just run out of gas, the mission opened up a brand new instance of the mission without any progress. With that being said, does anyone know the name in the root directly of the files that are supposed to be made and where exactly they are located? 

Hello, 

I seem to have the similar problem when running "Operation Scarlet Dawn" I did the modifications on the MissionScripting.lua and I also runned the DCS Dedicated server BETA as Admin, result is always the same, after 5-8 minutes the server freezes all AI aircraft float in the air. Some time the whole dcs server.exe closes or it will just stay there. Task manager dosent % are about 40-50% Any tips what to try next? The server is running on its own PC win10 on I7 and 64gt.

There is no rearming and refueling possible for the KA50 and the Hind on captured airfields f.e. Damascus. Other modules f.e. planes or mi8 no problems.

All weapons and 1000 tonns of fuel of any kind are on the airfield.

Edited by jojojung

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Kilo Oscar said:

@Surrexen
Have tried to add the UH-60L mod to the mission but can't get the Helo Options menu to show for it.

Edited the 'Clear Field Escalation Helo Operations.lua' file to include 'UH-60L' in the function 'EventHandlerHeloBirth:onEvent(Event)' but doesn't do the trick.

Any help appreciated

Did you join the slot after about 10 seconds from the mission start? The helo script runs after a slight delay so if you join a helo slot immediately, you won't get the menu. If you did wait etc, then I am not sure.

5 hours ago, Surrexen said:

Did you join the slot after about 10 seconds from the mission start? The helo script runs after a slight delay so if you join a helo slot immediately, you won't get the menu. If you did wait etc, then I am not sure.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I tried the wait. Get in another helo - it worked. Get back in the Blackhawk and it doesn't. I'm guessing it may be because the Blackhawk is a mod and maybe doesn't return the values expected of the helo birth function.

Fantastic mission BTW. DCSNZA has been flying Operation Clearfield and Scarlet Dawn recently and are loving them. Feel free to drop by our Discord and join the mission some time.

3 hours ago, Kilo Oscar said:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I tried the wait. Get in another helo - it worked. Get back in the Blackhawk and it doesn't. I'm guessing it may be because the Blackhawk is a mod and maybe doesn't return the values expected of the helo birth function.

Fantastic mission BTW. DCSNZA has been flying Operation Clearfield and Scarlet Dawn recently and are loving them. Feel free to drop by our Discord and join the mission some time.

Glad you like them. I haven't had time to do much with DCS over the holiday period, but I have some updates to Scarlet Dawn and Snowfox Escalation that I will put up hopefully soon (c'mon Apache?), along with one for the Mariana's.

15 hours ago, Surrexen said:

Operation Sea Slug for the Mariana's can be found here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3320444/

Enjoy

great news!

question. how long should one allow before leaving the mission after units are destroyed? i notice sometimes I get shot down and leave the mission and some of the units i killed recently are still on the map the next time. thanks!!!

6 hours ago, solidGad said:

great news!

question. how long should one allow before leaving the mission after units are destroyed? i notice sometimes I get shot down and leave the mission and some of the units i killed recently are still on the map the next time. thanks!!!

The mission saves progress every 5 minutes. So if you blow something up at 9:27AM and exit, that won't get saved. You would need to wait until 9:30AM for that last kill to be saved. To be on the safe side, I'd wait until at least 9.30:30AM to make sure all the things get safely saved.

• Like 1