Operation Scarlet Dawn - Syria PvE Persistent Campaign

8 hours ago, hlfritz said:

Geography lessons aside - the areas called out for support mission target areas are not on the map?  If they were, it would be far easier.  No help here?

Can you provide an example please? The only target area I can think of off-hand that isn't actually listed on the map itself would be the raid on Barisha to wipe out a certain somebody whose name will not be mentioned here.

The radio call in flights are directed to airfield spaces, not to specific targets. For example, if you are hitting targets at Latakia, you would call the radio flights to head to Basel Al-Assad. For pinpoint strikes, so long as the target is within range of the base you called it to, it will get given the coordinates etc en-route. Hopefully that helps, but yes, require more information.

Edited by Surrexen
  • Like 1

I gotta agree with Surrexen here... After a bunch of hours playing in the Syria map, learning some VFR cues and getting to know the topography/geography I'm having no issues knowing where I'm supposed to be. IRL combat would be much the same. Study the map, know where you're going before you take off, understand the mission. All part and parcel to a very dynamic environment and I'm extremely happy with it. Thank you again @Surrexen

• Like 1

Surrexen,

It is the areas to call support to.  I.e. call in fighter support, work your way down the menus, and finally get to a destination.  Some of these support areas are just not on the map.

I may have figured some of it out though.  They all seem to be airports/airfields?  However, not all show on the map.  Is that because some of  them are owned by red coalition?  Is that intentional (i.e. red airfields do not show on map)?  The other concern is that if there are a lot of units around the airfield its name cannot be sorted from the units, also not allowing one to see/find it.

Also, some of the destinations for support call are extremely close to each other and they seem pretty redundant.  I.e Ramat David and Megiddo are extremely cloe and probably do not need to be separate destinations for support aircraft to be called to.

52 minutes ago, hlfritz said:

Surrexen,

It is the areas to call support to.  I.e. call in fighter support, work your way down the menus, and finally get to a destination.  Some of these support areas are just not on the map.

I may have figured some of it out though.  They all seem to be airports/airfields?  However, not all show on the map.  Is that because some of  them are owned by red coalition?  Is that intentional (i.e. red airfields do not show on map)?  The other concern is that if there are a lot of units around the airfield its name cannot be sorted from the units, also not allowing one to see/find it.

Also, some of the destinations for support call are extremely close to each other and they seem pretty redundant.  I.e Ramat David and Megiddo are extremely cloe and probably do not need to be separate destinations for support aircraft to be called to.

Oh now I know what you are on about. The fog of war is obscuring your vision of the airfields. Perhaps turn it to visibility all until you learn the map or something if it's an issue for you. Yes some of the Syrian/Israeli/Turkish/Lebanese airfields are close to one-another, regardless the options will stay for completeness.

• 2 weeks later...

@SurrexenSo... I like the whole cooldown on the strike packages... but, for my uses since my srvr player list is so short, I'd like to reduce the despawn time a little on them. They seem to linger in the home base for up to 10 minutes after landing, sometimes more. Which lua should I be looking in for that? I assumed Scarlet Dawn Airforce.lua, but am struggling to find the variable for despawn.

3 hours ago, KaptinKaos said:

@SurrexenSo... I like the whole cooldown on the strike packages... but, for my uses since my srvr player list is so short, I'd like to reduce the despawn time a little on them. They seem to linger in the home base for up to 10 minutes after landing, sometimes more. Which lua should I be looking in for that? I assumed Scarlet Dawn Airforce.lua, but am struggling to find the variable for despawn.

Changing that variable is highly inadvisable. If you make it shorter you will likely end up with the carrier group unable to launch planes because they will despawn before getting off the deck. There are reasons why it is set to what it is set to.

On 12/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, Surrexen said:

Changing that variable is highly inadvisable. If you make it shorter you will likely end up with the carrier group unable to launch planes because they will despawn before getting off the deck. There are reasons why it is set to what it is set to.

Ok, 🙂 I like to tinker with things so I'll see what happens. Cheers!

Really enjoying the mission so far. I am having an issue with the helo construction at the moment though and I'm unsure of what the issue is.

I am flying a huey to build roland ADS sites. I load the engineers into the helicopter. I take them to the site where I want to build the roland. I then try to deliver cargo containers but that is where I am having issues.

I load the cargo containers successfully  but when I deliver them to the smoked construction area the counter for what has been delivered when I use the F10 menu for roland construction is saying that 0 have been delivered. I don't know if I am misunderstanding how the system works or if something is broken? 

I also have tried placing it in different areas with no success thus far.

8 hours ago, RooskyRex said:

Really enjoying the mission so far. I am having an issue with the helo construction at the moment though and I'm unsure of what the issue is.

I am flying a huey to build roland ADS sites. I load the engineers into the helicopter. I take them to the site where I want to build the roland. I then try to deliver cargo containers but that is where I am having issues.

I load the cargo containers successfully  but when I deliver them to the smoked construction area the counter for what has been delivered when I use the F10 menu for roland construction is saying that 0 have been delivered. I don't know if I am misunderstanding how the system works or if something is broken? 

I also have tried placing it in different areas with no success thus far.

I will double check this later when I get time, but make sure the containers are all within 150m of the construction zone. The engineers are lazy and don't like to walk very far.

8 minutes ago, Surrexen said:

I will double check this later when I get time, but make sure the containers are all within 150m of the construction zone. The engineers are lazy and don't like to walk very far.

Definitely was within 150m. I tried 4 separate times all landing exactly where the construction site smoke was. Thanks for checking! I'll post back if I see a change. 

52 minutes ago, RooskyRex said:

Definitely was within 150m. I tried 4 separate times all landing exactly where the construction site smoke was. Thanks for checking! I'll post back if I see a change. 

It's working for me building a Roland using the 1st squad engineers out of London. Any other info you can provide?

Edit: Also working for me out of Paris with the 2nd squad.

Edited by Surrexen

Awesome Mission for an awesome map.
I have it running now since a few days and noticed that air bases which had been taken by me earlier (vehicle is present) shows a 2nd, red vehicle in some cases. this makes the airbase neutral again. Maybe a bug on my end (I move the vehicle and troops using combined arms to other parts of the airfield) but was wondering whether the scripts could retain the airbase coalition till all assets of the occupying coalition within 3km around the airbase are destroyed?

Thanks

11 hours ago, Surrexen said:

It's working for me building a Roland using the 1st squad engineers out of London. Any other info you can provide?

Edit: Also working for me out of Paris with the 2nd squad.

I've narrowed it down to the fact that we are running the EasyStats script on our dedicated server. Once I remove that, the cargo unload script is working and the cargo is showing at the LZ.

EDIT: Moved over to SLMOD for tracking stats instead and can confirm it is now working as expected. Thanks for getting back to me @Surrexen!

Edited by RooskyRex

2 hours ago, IdefixRC said:

Awesome Mission for an awesome map.
I have it running now since a few days and noticed that air bases which had been taken by me earlier (vehicle is present) shows a 2nd, red vehicle in some cases. this makes the airbase neutral again. Maybe a bug on my end (I move the vehicle and troops using combined arms to other parts of the airfield) but was wondering whether the scripts could retain the airbase coalition till all assets of the occupying coalition within 3km around the airbase are destroyed?

Thanks

Honestly I have no idea what is going on here. The script looks periodically at the current ownership of each airfield and records the status in the file. When the mission loads from this data, if the base was red it will spawn a red vehicle on it, if it was blue it will spawn a blue vehicle on it, if it's neutral it'll leave it alone. The ownership of the airfield is dependent on various things, such as if it is being contested by the opposite coalition within it's base perimeter, as well as what it was set to in the mission editor (red/blue/neutral). So some bases are red and will remain red even when red defenders are killed, until a blue ground unit is in the perimeter of the base. Other bases are neutral by default, and will return to neutral when any occupying force is destroyed. From memory the airfield perimeters are about 2km, and are not changeable.

So another example, with persistence:

1. Base X is red by default and has defenders in it's perimeter

2. A series of strikes mercilessly kills all defenders of base X, lots of grieving virtual families

3. Base X is still red because it was red by default

4. Blue transport lands at base X, and deploys vehicle

5. Base X now turns to blue and is saved in the file

6. Mission reloads, and loads persistence, removes the previously dead defender units from base X.

7. Also from persistence it sees that base X should be blue, so it spawns a blue vehicle (instantly changing the by default red base X to blue because it is uncontested)

It is however possible, that both red and blue land at a given base in the same session, this will cause both a red and blue vehicle to be present at the base. From memory this will make the coalition of the base equal to 3 (which I think means contested but who knows). Also from memory I'm ignoring it in persistence if it's 0 (neutral) or 3 (whatever 3 actually is). I only care about 1 (red) and 2 (blue) for what I'm doing.

I hope this answers your question. Happy flying.

Thanks.

This makes a lot of sense now. So it changes it to contested if red lands a vehicle in the same session, which makes the airfield neutral (or 3 as you said) and will only fix that upon restart of the mission. From above it also looks like the check/update is only performed when troops/transport lands so assuming I have:

1) neutral base -> land a transport -> turns blue

2) same session -> red lands a transport -> red vehicle spawns -> turns contested/neutral

3) Air strike get's rid of the red guy

4) Status remains contested till next reboot (or blue lands another transport -> which I'm not sure it does)

If a periodic check - every 2 min or so - could check the status of red/blue at an airbase and update the save based on that then 4) above would move the base back to blue in the same session once red is gone. This would also allow ground forced already present at the airbase to defend it automatically (instead of an airstrike the grunts will clean the red guy off the map and the base will turn back blue after the check).

Thanks !

14 minutes ago, IdefixRC said:

Thanks.

This makes a lot of sense now. So it changes it to contested if red lands a vehicle in the same session, which makes the airfield neutral (or 3 as you said) and will only fix that upon restart of the mission. From above it also looks like the check/update is only performed when troops/transport lands so assuming I have:

1) neutral base -> land a transport -> turns blue

2) same session -> red lands a transport -> red vehicle spawns -> turns contested/neutral

3) Air strike get's rid of the red guy

4) Status remains contested till next reboot (or blue lands another transport -> which I'm not sure it does)

If a periodic check - every 2 min or so - could check the status of red/blue at an airbase and update the save based on that then 4) above would move the base back to blue in the same session once red is gone. This would also allow ground forced already present at the airbase to defend it automatically (instead of an airstrike the grunts will clean the red guy off the map and the base will turn back blue after the check).

Thanks !

No the status is checked every 5 minutes. It also has to perform other checks when a transport does land, but those are separate one-off checks. The main persistency function checks for the status every 5 minutes and updates the tables.

8 minutes ago, Salsam said:

Any plans on implement the IADS- script for more realistic air defence, in your missions?

Makes flying more fun and SEAD missions more challenging.

Just a wish...

Love the mission so far!

Absolutely not going to happen. Has been asked before.

Edited by Surrexen

For the 2nd time I joined an online server running it - I love the idea of the mission and it's complexity.

One occasion - and I am just not sure if it is intended: Sitting in one FA18 in Ramat preparing the flight (programming waypoint of the task) I got attacked by a Su24 strike and killed, that attack collapsed the shelter. Unfortunately from now on these spawnpoints are no longer usable coz for obvious reasons you are now spawning into that pile of rubble rendering these spawnpoints useless.

Now that we have the ability to enter waypoint coordinates as MGRS - can you  add MGRS for the mission task (F4) coordinates to be able to use them?

Awacs is beeing shot down quite often - I'd think it would fly with some cover as it is a really high value asset?

Trying to ferry some cargo with the huey from farp paris - turbines got overheated mid flight - maybe the load is quite a bit to high for the hey at the temperatures of the area? I pretty much kept an eye on it but was flying with around 100knots and the gas gen was at or above red line, killing the engine.

Are the red cap flights spawning mid air? Running a SEAD mission from carrier I got attacked and killed by a mig21 with no notice by awacs or dl (SA) page. Might be intended but mig21 is not know for its stealthiness 🙂

Just a few thoughts. I am very much intersted in this mission so far - keep up the nice work!

On 1/10/2021 at 2:39 AM, Hekktor said:

For the 2nd time I joined an online server running it - I love the idea of the mission and it's complexity.

One occasion - and I am just not sure if it is intended: Sitting in one FA18 in Ramat preparing the flight (programming waypoint of the task) I got attacked by a Su24 strike and killed, that attack collapsed the shelter. Unfortunately from now on these spawnpoints are no longer usable coz for obvious reasons you are now spawning into that pile of rubble rendering these spawnpoints useless.

Now that we have the ability to enter waypoint coordinates as MGRS - can you  add MGRS for the mission task (F4) coordinates to be able to use them?

Awacs is beeing shot down quite often - I'd think it would fly with some cover as it is a really high value asset?

Trying to ferry some cargo with the huey from farp paris - turbines got overheated mid flight - maybe the load is quite a bit to high for the hey at the temperatures of the area? I pretty much kept an eye on it but was flying with around 100knots and the gas gen was at or above red line, killing the engine.

Are the red cap flights spawning mid air? Running a SEAD mission from carrier I got attacked and killed by a mig21 with no notice by awacs or dl (SA) page. Might be intended but mig21 is not know for its stealthiness 🙂

Just a few thoughts. I am very much intersted in this mission so far - keep up the nice work!

1. Sounds like the Su-24's did their job pretty well if you ask me. Players love to bomb runways and things to deny red airfields, this time the shoe is on the other foot 😛

2. MGRS ... probably not.

3. AWACS, yes I had accidently moved it too close to red patrol engagement distances. This issue is corrected already and will be in the next version.

4. Try taking the weapons off the Huey if you are going to carry containers around, or alternatively, stop melting your engine. The containers are 250kg in weight.

5. Red CAP flights do not start in the air, the only red assets that start in the air are the transport helicopters, and heavy bombers such as Tu-95's because they don't seem to play nice with most airfields. The red cap flights also will not spawn at an airfield if you are within 40nm of it. Therefore, the MiG-21 snuck up on you, so it's more stealthy than you thought 😉 

Edited by Surrexen
  • Like 1