Catalyst 8.5 released

all the latest Catalyst (8.2, 8.3 and 8.4) gave me issues... lately I was getting lots of crashes in lockon and some weird things like infinite sound loops and game crash which I never had before... then I realised I had Catalyst 8.2 installed which I tested and didn't like before... last night I installed Catalyst 8.1 again and things were stable for good 1h30m flying (where as previsouly same night just before I reinstalled 8.1's, I had 3 crashes within 30min of being in game)

I think I'm gonna stay away from these... as of lately ATI's drivers are really crap... or latest drives and latest hardware and older software not good combination... maybe latest Cat's just don't like lockon or lockon doesn't like latest Cat's ??? :D

No longer active in DCS...

No problems here as well with any of the latest CAT's. Installed onto my aging Sager Gaming Laptop (ATI 9700 Pro 256MB) without problems in dual boot in both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. LockOn and all games play perfectly with them.

Thanks again Mustang for posting their release.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for keeping an eye on this Mustang. I have noticed a marked increase in frame rate and what I believe an improvement in picture quality. Frame rates appear to have increase 25%. My card is the 3870X2.

There also appears to be less anomolies present

Thanks again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GAAAH! What the... What did those sons of ******** do?? Launching X-Plane all of a sudden gets me an error-message about atiogl2x.dll! NWN2 starts, but freezes when I try to load a module! *********** **** '***!!23 5"#¤%#"%! GRR! ANGER!

[some yada-yada later:]

Verdict: The combination of WinXP SP3, Catalyst 8.5, Radeon X1900XT PCIe and OpenGL seems to render these drivers no more than bloatware, good only for its controlpanel. How on earth is this even possible? (Granted, DirectX probably works more or less as expected, but OGL doesn't work AT ALL. Aren't ATI in some board or other related to that?)

I'm a bit leery of updating drivers. On my old XP machine- new ones wouldn't install right. Old software was completely removed, new stuff on the desktop.. Kept getting weird errors. Even after I apparently got them on- it didn't look right- as though it was loading some standard windows driver.

I'd be positively enraged if it screwed up my new rig.