FPS drop after F10 map display

Hi, I don't know if this is a common problem, but I noticed after the last update that during the flight, viewing the map with F10 and then returning to the cockpit afterwards, there is a sharp drop in FPS. Only after a few seconds does the FPS increase again.

• Like 3

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

• 2 months later...

Im having this problem as well, did u find a fix for this? Didnt play it for 3 months. It didnt happen before. 

Going into F10 map drops FPS, then it slowly regains in the F10 map, then if you go back to the cockpit, the FPS drops hugely, and it slowly regains as the map textures starts loading back in. Do you have this same issue?

On 23/11/2020 at 3:10 AM, JAKAL said:

Hi, I don't know if this is a common problem, but I noticed after the last update that during the flight, viewing the map with F10 and then returning to the cockpit afterwards, there is a sharp drop in FPS. Only after a few seconds does the FPS increase again.

Thats because once you open f10 map, and then go back to the cockpit, everyrhing must be loadee again into ram. It will be worse depending on the amount of ram and vram you have. The less ram you have the worse (longer) the time needed to reload anf thus the lower the fps in the meantime.

Same will happen when you press f2 to jump into other planes view if these planes are far away from your "loaded" zone, it will need to load the scenery then. 

Edited by Ala12Rv-watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

1 hour ago, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

Thats because once you open f10 map, and then go back to the cockpit, everyrhing must be loadee again into ram. It will be worse depending on the amount of ram and vram you have. The less ram you have the worse (longer) the time needed to reload anf thus the lower the fps in the meantime.

Same will happen when you press f2 to jump into other planes view if these planes are far away from your "loaded" zone, it will need to load the scenery then. 

I have 32gm ram and a 2080.

The problem didnt happen before, and the FPS drop seems to only happens on nevada map, ive tested caucasus, syria, PG, and the channel.

7 hours ago, SchwappingMags said:

I have 32gm ram and a 2080.

The problem didnt happen before, and the FPS drop seems to only happens on nevada map, ive tested caucasus, syria, PG, and the channel.

I have 64GB of RAM, but only 8GB VRAM on my 2080 Super, and I get this frequently in VR in PG and Syria. I'm convinced it's got to do with VRAM being limited, the 64GB RAM doesn't seem to make much difference from what I can tell - it's VRAM. I'm waiting on the 3080 Super with the hope they will have more VRAM onboard to deal with this. (Either this, or hoping the vulcan rewrite will be more efficient).

Hi,

this is not a RAM or VRAM issue. I did not see any of this ever, but as I switched to openbeta it started immediately. Same as ScwappingMags, only Nevada, only F10. F2 look on planes in the other end of the map does not have this effect. 
do you know how to officially report this to ED as a beta bug?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 4:17 PM, Dangerzone said:

I have 64GB of RAM, but only 8GB VRAM on my 2080 Super, and I get this frequently in VR in PG and Syria. I'm convinced it's got to do with VRAM being limited, the 64GB RAM doesn't seem to make much difference from what I can tell - it's VRAM. I'm waiting on the 3080 Super with the hope they will have more VRAM onboard to deal with this. (Either this, or hoping the vulcan rewrite will be more efficient).

Unfortunately I don’t know if the 3080 Super is going to alleviate the issue for you.  I recently noticed this issue on my system as well 32GB of RAM and an ASUS 3090 w 24GB.  As stated above it only seems to occur on the Nevada.  I don’t spend a ton of time on that map but recently put together a training mission with a mix of targets to practice various weapons on the F-16.  Exiting the F10 map takes the somewhat rock solid 90fps down to 45-50fps for 2-4 seconds every time.  Weird as I never noticed this before.  I’m going to monkey around with FPSVR and see if something reportable is happening GPU, CPU or memory wise..

I had a theory this had something to with the fact I had all units “visible” on the map with a group of enemy vehicles “moving” with waypoints etc but I have no evidence that has anything to with it.  Somewhat reassured it’s not just me...

• Like 2

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

• 3 weeks later...

I regularly experience it on the Syria map, no matter the aircraft. If I look at F10, frames drop by 2/3 and it stutters for 2 minutes. I've looked at my RAM usage and its at 95%+ until it settles down. Thats with 32Gbs and a 2080ti. 

It's been made aware to ED/Ugra, but no resolution. I guess they have 64Gbs on their systems so it's not a priority. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Issue can be found accross all maps, somethinging in the F10 map can cause this on returning to the F1 cockpit view.  Often it can be freed back to normal fps by opening task manager or just anothe active window, you can actually see your frames jump when tabbing back in.

Long running issue for the last year or so.  THe biggest issue with VR to be fair and thats on 32GB fast ram and 2080Ti, CPU at 5GHz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 11:02 PM, ST0RM said:

I regularly experience it on the Syria map, no matter the aircraft. If I look at F10, frames drop by 2/3 and it stutters for 2 minutes. I've looked at my RAM usage and its at 95%+ until it settles down. Thats with 32Gbs and a 2080ti. 

It's been made aware to ED/Ugra, but no resolution. I guess they have 64Gbs on their systems so it's not a priority. 

Having the same issue with 64Gb of RAM and a 2080Ti

i9-9900KS CPU @ 5.1GHz, Win10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte Z390 Master Mobo, Corsair Vengance 64GB 3000Mhz Ram, 1 x ADATA SX8200 Pro 1Tb Drive (OS), 1 x ADATA SX8200 Pro 512Gb Drive (DCS), 1 x RTX 2080Ti AORUS Waterforce 11Gb, 3 x 27" ACER Predator 2560x1440px, 27" LG 2560x1440px HP Reverb G2, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog Throttle and Stick, 3 x HOTAS Cougar MFCDs, Elgato Streamdeck & Streamdeck XL

I have exactly the same problem and it's really annoying, after F10 my game goes from 50 fps to 25 fps, sometimes it comes back, sometimes it stays that way throughout the game

NEVADA AND CAUCAZE , same problem

Edited by mobile83

• 5 months later...

not really any help except to offer some empirical data. i run game windowed and do not have this issue. i know there are various discussions around windowed vs full screen and differences in performance.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, all.  The problem is still happening, it just happened to me in multiplayer.  My framerate was nice and smooth, I opened the F10 map, and from there it was stuttering badly for the rest of the time I was on the server.  I use no VR mods or shader mods, just WMR, SteamVR, and DCS open beta.  And SRS Radio.

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

Am 23.11.2020 um 03:10 schrieb Predator-78:

Sounds fir me like a delay of Hardware to get back to work. 

Make sure that CPU energy management is set to full power in Windows.

Also it could help to have a cpu and gpu workliad graph during this action and fps loss.

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I stuffed around for ages trying to fix the F10 F1 Frame rate issue. Played with settings for about a week.

What worked for me, I renamed my c:\users\%username%\saved games\DCS folder to DCS.old and launched the game. A new DCS folder was created.

I then closed the game and replaced all my input settings from .OLD to the new folder .\config\input so I didn't have to remap everything. I did have to reconfigure my trim settings in the special menu.

The lag issue is gone for now leading me to believe that the issue is in fact related to something I have setup in there. Likely a mod. Ill slowly re-add things I need and see if I can narrow it down further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Still having this issue myself. Started a long time ago. I avoid using the F10 map alltogether.

Most times (not always) the issue can be corrected when alt-tabbing out of the game for 5-10 seconds, then back again.

This tells me there should be something that can be done code-wise how the game unloads resources loaded when bringing up the map...

Edited by Wizard1393

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

....looking to see if @Ditch was able to troubleshoot the problem. I plan on doing the same.

PC specs:

Intel Core i7-13700K [Raptor Lake 3.4GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700] (stock clock)/64.0 GB RAM/RTX 3080 GPU (stock clock)/Windows 10 Home/SSD Drives/T.Flight HOTAS X/HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2024 at 4:00 PM, Wizard1393 said:

Still having this issue myself. Started a long time ago. I avoid using the F10 map alltogether.

Most times (not always) the issue can be corrected when alt-tabbing out of the game for 5-10 seconds, then back again.

This tells me there should be something that can be done code-wise how the game unloads recourses loaded when bringing up the map...

exactly what i think, and the issue is still happening post patch.

• Like 1