Thanks for the Campaign

I finished the campaign recently and just wanted to say I enjoyed it. I was inclined to buy the campaign due to your activity on this forum and response to feedback. I hit a few issues during the campaign but it seems most of it is out of your control as discussed with others:

• Wingmen like to crash in to you on taxi
  • Some missions take part over low detail area of the map
  • Enemies seem to get utterly trounced - even when in superior numbers, this leads to friendlies often dog-piling enemies. There were a few times where I was lining up my shots when I started seeing tracer fly past me as a squadmate takes the kill!
  • I had to retry the last mission several times due to fatal flak damage on the way to the target area. I climbed to the recommended altitude and constantly changed my course but even so, I kept receiving direct hits.

Some fun moments though, especially getting mixed up in the chaotic air battles and putting my (limited) knowledge of the Spitfire to the test. It'd be nice if we got a DCS Tempest and we could play out the rest of Clostermann's war experience!

I finished the campaign recently and just wanted to say I enjoyed it. I was inclined to buy the campaign due to your activity on this forum and response to feedback. I hit a few issues during the campaign but it seems most of it is out of your control as discussed with others:

• Wingmen like to crash in to you on taxi - DCS bug. A workaround is not to use the ATC to request taxi, just start rolling and your wingmen will follow.
  • Some missions take part over low detail area of the map - When I created the campaign it was not low detail, but then URGA media updated the map and since then it's like that. It's terrible. I reported it a year ago, but they don't seem to care:
    https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-war-ii/western-europe-1944-1945/260310-reported-very-low-detail-areas-in-normandy

To circumvent the issue, I uploaded a free version of this mission using the Channel map:
    https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312736/
  • Enemies seem to get utterly trounced - even when in superior numbers, this leads to friendlies often dog-piling enemies. There were a few times where I was lining up my shots when I started seeing tracer fly past me as a squadmate takes the kill! - really annoying, but that's hardcoded in to DCS AI. I'm hoping for an improvement from ED, IIRC they said some AI improvements are coming.
  • I had to retry the last mission several times due to fatal flak damage on the way to the target area. I climbed to the recommended altitude and constantly changed my course but even so, I kept receiving direct hits. - with the new DM flak has become unsurviveable. I reported it to ED, it's clearly a game breaking bug. Before the new DM I was shot down 1-2 times by flak in 2 years when testing my campaigns. Now I can't survive even at 20k feet. ED is aware and working on it.

Some fun moments though, especially getting mixed up in the chaotic air battles and putting my (limited) knowledge of the Spitfire to the test. It'd be nice if we got a DCS Tempest and we could play out the rest of Clostermann's war experience! - oh yes, I'd LOVE a Tempest!

Hi, thanks a lot for the feedback. Please see my replies in bold.

• Like 1

I completed the campaign over a month ago I think so it was before the recent DM changes. It could have been a mistake on my behalf getting hit by flak but it's not relevant now if it has changed dramatically. I read about the taxi and map quality bugs before I got stuck in so they weren't a real issue. I just remembered I also liked the radio transmission you receive while doing a radar calibration flight on the way to France - a nice surprise! It was also nice to feel like part of a flight rather than having to be a superhero and shoot down everything myself - there was great satisfaction just getting back to England and landing safely (even if this didn't happen all the time!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm brand new to DCS world and I am having a great time on it!

I bought most of your campaigns and its really good! Gratz.

In my first post on the forum I would like to know... Is there a chance for an "update" for the new DM? Its too hard and on mission 2 the entire team get massacred or get out of ammo against the Germans I have tried it about 30 times... some times reducing IA some times Full IA. But I am getting frusted. In a game I shoot down 4 planes and in may last bullets I put another one out of fight. But even so I was  surround by 5 planes and get killed. When I realized my entire team was down or RTB due no ammo.

Hopping for a reply!

Ps: I am from Brasil and I still practicing my English. Sorry for that!

Hi Krausthorn! Thanks for the kind words as well as the report. I don't have the time to always refly every mission after every update, so reports like this are much appreciated. I will refly mission 2 ASAP. You say all the Spits were wiped out? That's strange, with the old DM it was a massacre for the Germans. Let me try and get back to you.

OK I checked. My engine quit over the channel, but the rest of the formation wiped out the Germans even without us (see screenshot). Silly question, but did you join up and fly out with the rest of the wing, or just the 4 of you in your flight?

However, there is a bug with the flak at the moment, it wipes out entire formations at 20+k feet. So once the 190s were down, flak started wiping out the Spits.

I'm waiting for a fix from ED, then I have to review all of my missions to make sure flak is not too deadly.

Screen-201207-175426.png

Edited by Reflected

lol That was fast!! Yes I fly with the entire Spit wing. And one more point! Some times the group right before the check point two, starts to dive to attack the flacks on the shore and the trigger to turn 080 don't happen and we have to restart the mission. I really don't know why some times this happens.

Well, maybe is the flak wiping us or I am in bad luck! I will try again and if we kill the Germans I will try to print just as you do!

Really appreciate your disposal and attention !

I have tried 3 more times 😞

The two firsts the flak issue occur! In the fly route, the flaks starts to shoot! When they hit 2+ birds the fly wing break and starts to turn around and some dive as I said.

In the thirty attempt we pass the "red point", but I get killed ! Sad, but Ok!

Only me and my wingman goes to the check point and the event don't trigger ! We lose much time to fly all the path again.

Big Show Misson 2 Issue.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks for fantastic campaign!

There is a strange thing in mission 9 - when B-17s started bombing Rouen, they started hitting each other with the bombs. Some of the bombers were flying just 20m below other bombers.

The result was - 9 B-17 falling on Rouen shortly after the bombs hit the ground. 4 more B-17 sustained damage and started smoking while in formation.

Is there any way to change the formation of the bombers during bomb run?

I was reading that B-17 were keeping tight formation during whole flight, but chances of hitting other planes during bombing were fairly low. But flying exactly under opened bomb bay of other plane is too much 🙂

30 minutes ago, spinaker said:

Thanks for fantastic campaign!

There is a strange thing in mission 9 - when B-17s started bombing Rouen, they started hitting each other with the bombs. Some of the bombers were flying just 20m below other bombers.

The result was - 9 B-17 falling on Rouen shortly after the bombs hit the ground. 4 more B-17 sustained damage and started smoking while in formation.

Is there any way to change the formation of the bombers during bomb run?

I was reading that B-17 were keeping tight formation during whole flight, but chances of hitting other planes during bombing were fairly low. But flying exactly under opened bomb bay of other plane is too much 🙂

Hi,

Glad you enjoyed it 🙂

I noticed this too, lately. Looks like the WWII bomber formation got bugged but it's the core game, nothing I can fix in the mission editor. If you happen to have a track, please share, I can help report it to ED. It should work as advertised, like it worked for the past 2 years - but sometimes AI logic changes with updates.