Helicopter Group Landing

This happened after updating to the latest open beta at the time (57264). I had made no changes to the mission file and I'm not using any external scripts for this portion.

On a flight of 3. Lead is client and the rest AI.

-Take off from an airfield, the AI Chalks follow.

-Fly for 3 minutes, Lead lands at a PZ to pick up troops. Both AI (1-2 and 1-3) land as well, no issue so far.

-Take off from PZ and AI follow no prob.

-Fly for another 5 min, Lead lands at LZ to drop off troops. AI Chalks turn around and fly direct to the PZ and land there. This is the problem.

The AI Chalks are not RTB, they just land back at whichever location Lead landed first. It seems AI will follow and land only to the first spot where Lead lands, regardless of the location. Then on subsequent landings, the AI wants to land back at that first spot.

Even though the last patch did not make any changes to the Huey, it did make changes to the AI behavior and it possibly screwed something up here...

"AI. Corrected the helicopter group landing" per the notes on the 57264 patch.

Thank you.

▀▄▀▄▀▄ DCS: Air Assault Operations ▄▀▄▀▄▀

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel

Hi Guile. I was able to reproduce this weird behavior very easily on the latest OB. I created a mission from scratch with a flight of 3 UH-AH : a client and 2 AI wingmen.

Here's what happened:

1. We took off, flew a bit, and landed at the first spot (they waited for around 1 minute before landing).
  2. We took off again and headed to Kobuleti airbase. As soon as I landed, they returned to the first landing spot... but at least one of them didn't land. Instead, the pilot flew in a strange pattern. Eventually, they came back to Kouleti airbase and both landed on parking areas and cut off their engines.
  3. I took off a third time and went for the next spot, but this time they stayed on the ground. One of them started his engines, but barely moved. I landed on the third spot, and nothing changed. Even so when I landed back at Kobuleti.

The video starts right after I landed on the first spot.

AI_helicopter_wingmen_gone_crazy.trk

Edited by Flappie
video link updated

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Ok ok at least I know I'm not crazy haha. Thank you Flappie!

It seems the AI shoot their approach and right when it's time to actually land, they get reprogrammed to go back to the first spot!

First noticed it after OB 57264 update. This definitely breaks immersion for us, when we do Air Assaults and have 2 AI Chalks behind lead that don't drop off their pax. So we end up with a third of the assault force on every lift.

I really hope this gets investigated :helpsmilie:. Thanks for uploading the video evidence!

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for adding the video and the trk file. Multiship helicopter flight is both rewarding and challenging, and it provides a great tactical advantage. I think probably this is not high on the list of things to fix but hopefully it can be tracked or acknowledged. We'll wait patiently. Thank you ED!

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel

• 6 months later...