HMD target designation shifts - Slant range related

GVakarian32

Hello, I've seen this bug reported earlier but I think I may have found some more information. I've noticed that the HMD target designation cursor moves if the navigation waypoint elevations are not set to near ground level. The HMD designation function appears to work normally if the navigation waypoint elevations are set to near 0 using the HSI DATA waypoint function.

HornetHMDbug1.trk

• ED Team

Thanks we do have this reported, likely related to slant range.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I would like to report a possible bug about TGP and the HMD miscommunication when I try to designate target.

What I try to do: I would like to pick roughly the area of interest via HMD. Then I try to find my target and designate it via TGP.

The basic setup:

GBU—12 (auto mode, instant fuse), TGP Pod – On and displayed in the MFD, A/G-on, Master Arm – on, HMD on.

Normal work:

1)      SCS (Sensor control switch) – FWR

2)      Pick a close target via the HMD (less than 5 miles) – TDC Depress. The diamond appears in the HMD. The targeting pod should also look to this point and the diamond should be visible in the TGP’s MFD. Coordinates in the MFD are still !!!

3)      Press the SCS (Sensor control switch) towards to the TGP’s MFD (SCS to Right in my case)

4)      Slew the TDC in some direction. The diamond should change to the cross and you can pick up your new target via the TGP by TDC depress.

5)      Press the TDC Depress in the new coordinates (The cross change to a diamond). The new position of the diamond should be visible in the TGP’s MFD. Coordinates in the MFD are still !!!

This was how I expect it should work (and it works so far) but here comes the buggy part (at least for me)….repeat the previous procedure like this:

1)      SCS (Sensor control switch) – FWR

2)      Pick a far target via the HMD (10-15 miles) – TDC Depress. The diamond appears in the HMD. The targeting pod should also look to this point and the diamond should be visible in the TGP’s MFD. Coordinates in the MFD are still !!!

3)      Press SCS (Sensor control switch) towards to the TGP’s MFD (SCS to Right in my case)

4)      Slew the TDC in some direction. The diamond should change to the cross and you can pick up your new target via the TGP by TDC depress.

5)      Press the TDC Depress in the new coordinates (The cross change to a diamond).. The new position of diamond should be visible in the TGP’s MFD and it is visible ….. BUT THE COORDINATES ARE CHANGING AND THE DIAMOND TRAVELS!!!

I tried to undesignate, re-designate via markpoints or waypoints, offset the designation etc. No matter what I do, the diamond travels. If you try to fix it…the entire procedure degrades even more and in one point after (10-15) designation you will not even be able to switch between the diamond and the cross (Step 4 is not working)

TGP_HMD_BUG_SHORT.trk

• ED Team

I believe we have this reported already here 

Most likely an issue with slant range

Thanks

threads merged

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to [ALREADY REPORTED]Communication between HMD and TGP during target designation - Possible Bug?

Will this be fixed for today's update? I have some missions that require this feature to be working correctly and was really looking forward to see this fixed.

Thanks.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

2 minutes ago, John1606687966 said:

Nope, this wasn't fixed in today's update 🤬

Update is not live yet, just got into steam seconds ago. How would you know?

Edited by Joni

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

• Wags locked this topic
11 hours ago, Pipok said:

Is it the issue as on this screenshot?

TGP issue 137.png

There isn't anything explicitly wrong in this screenshot. PTRK means the pod isn't necessarily tied to the TGT. And the behaviour between the HUD, the MAVF and the TGT look correct.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I feel there is something wrong with HMD A-G target designation.

I have attached a track.

What I did:

With no target designated I set the FLIR as SOI. I slave the TGP to the Velocity vector. I point the VV in the rough area and press TDC depress, I then use the tgp to slew to a hangar and press TDC depress(not sure if this is a necessary step but whatever). I then fly around a little. The coordinates displayed in the TGP are rock solid and never change. When I come around 360 degrees the tgp is still pointed exactly where I left it.

Next Step:

I undesignate the target. Put my HMD as SOI. Look in the general area of the hangar. Hit TDC Depress. Switch SOI to tgp. Hit TDC Depress. Slew over to the hangar again with the TGP. Hit TDC Depress again just to be sure. Then I fly around a little. Now I can see the coordinates drift, especially the altitude goes out of whack. After I come around 360 degrees the tgp is no longer pointing at the place I left it.

Is this correct behaviour? It seems to me that although I used the HMD to point the TGP in the rough direction, after that it was the TGP that took over and did the final designation. Why would the HMD interfere after this point?

This is a big problem because when I use the HMD to find targets most of my JDAMS miss even when I use the TGP for fine tuning.

hmcs drift.trk

• Like 1

Yeah it’s a bug. Super annoying - happens when you designate a point further than 10 miles using HMD. Apparently some problem with slant range calculation. Once you’ve designated with HMD even switching to TGP doesn’t fix. Has been reported a while ago but no solution yet. 
Was really hoping it would be sorted last patch but no joy.

Edited by Dark Cloud
  • Like 1

• Wags locked this topic

Another hiatus and now trying to catch up with the updated HMDC. I go HUD/HMD as SOI, then look at a point and designate it. What happens is the diamond appears but is moving along the ground. Is that supposed to happen? I need to constantly slew/re-designate but overall this approach is pretty useless ATM. Bug or have I missed something?

Edited by moggel

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

• moggel changed the title to LANTIRN target point unstable when helmet-designated
  • Wags locked this topic
42 minutes ago, moggel said:

What happens is the slewable diamond appears but is not fixed. Instead it slowly moves along the ground so I need to keep slewing/re-designate. Is this a bug or have I missed something?

It's a reported bug. For now, try to use it for close distances only, I find it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• BIGNEWY changed the title to HMD target designation shifts - Slant range related