Why is the Spitfire so terrible?

Cunning_Fox

On 12/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, LeCuvier said:

You have only just seen the new forum, and it says clearly "Attention! Content rebuild and reindex process is in progress. Estimated completion date - 4th December 2020. Forum content may look broken during this process." And already you make negative comments. Just like with the Spit. You might want to think about your behaviour (no offense intended!)?

No. I say it how it is. The new forum engine is terrible and I'm not going to wait on it like we wait on other moduels for years, until they never come out of EA and Developers just give up on them.

How many bugs aren't fixed in the spitfire still?

@Cunning_Fox, thanks to you for taking time to make a long list of what is wrong with the Spit. I totally agree on all points you've listed. 

On 11/24/2020 at 5:39 AM, Cunning_Fox said:

-turning in this plane is a tedious ordeal: if the circle is not 8 miles in diameter, the pilot blacks out

so true, blacks out is to quick compare to K-4, maybe it's because german pilots are slightly more lay down on their sit ? 

On 11/24/2020 at 5:39 AM, Cunning_Fox said:

-you can easily burn out your radioator and it's game over, limp to base until your engine dies. You can't go slow either -- your air-cooled engine will die as well.

I mentioned this bug on a old thread, telling that sometimes the engine dies for no reason, and you can't repair it ( as sometimes it dies on take off ) but people told me that I didn't know how to fly Spit xD

ps: 

On 11/25/2020 at 3:33 AM, Cunning_Fox said:

Impossible to chase AI into vertical

AI in DCS are bugged, they are going outter limit of what is possible with physics, but good way to train as they're cheated

Edited by McPetterson
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Gentlemen, I have deleted two posts, please remember to treat each other with respect here on the forum, if you can not please do not post. 

Thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Perhaps lose the attitude Fox. Your initial post was inflammatory, not a little xenophobic and by it's nature bound to rub people up the wrong way. So too almost every other response since.

Are you obliged to like the Spitfire? Of course not. But nobody is obliged to agree with you either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing thread (Beyond a few non very polite exchanges :D). I'm just starting to fly the spitfire, which is a plane I truly like,  and here I have learnt more than most  readings I did allowed me so far. It was very enlightening to read on your experiences, the good and the bad. I didnt see any comment on the use of the supercharger, so I guess living it in auto Will not make too much of a difference ...

Hi alejo68

Supercharger (auto) will kick in at the appropriate altitude. So you can leave it on. You can leave the RPM at 2850 for continuous operation without difficulties. Except for landing - reduce to 2500 to avoid too high a torque response if you have to throttle up on final. Try not to fly with very high power or RPM when under 200 mph, it will overheat the engine and also create ping and blow the engine.

If you are thinking about war emergency power (WEP), throttle full forward and select fine pitch. (high RPM)

Then hang on.

The OP offered an opinion using the simplest of terms as is wont of a person not familiar with flying Warbirds modelled correctly. I'm glad to see you are gleaning through all the diatribe and pulling out all the good bits of information. Take your time with her, the most difficult is landing so use the "rudder cheat option" control for that until you get more used to it and then start to reduce the amount of computer management of the rudder when on the runway until you don't need it anymore. 

Cross the threshold at 100 mph and then fly her onto the runway losing speed to around 85 mph. just a foot or so above it. She will settle sweetly.  

Hang in there, it is gorgeous to fly once you get the stick and rudder controls adjusted to your liking and find the sweetspot (speed) for continuous turn and snap turn.

Cheers,

Cats . . .

Edited by Catseye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Wow this thready really blew up, nice to see that something useful came out of it and it didn't entirely devolve. I will say this though, I am now very rusty in warbirds as I've been studying for the Air Transport Pilots License. I can't even hit the side of a barn door now lmao. 

on the plus side with the mosquito being out soon we can all enjoy the action of people (including myself) crashing many mossies. 

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Ophois47 said:

I'm sincerely hoping more than anything that this bird and the Huey get visual refreshes soon.

Aye, we still have the foggy instruments that appeared about 2 years ago. Compared to the newer DCS aircraft it feels like there’s a light on permanently shining from behind the pilot also.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mogster said:

Aye, we still have the foggy instruments that appeared about 2 years ago. Compared to the newer DCS aircraft it feels like there’s a light on permanently shining from behind the pilot also.

Mogster and Ophois47, this is a necro thread. It began in November 2020 and ended in April 2021. The OP who started it has long ago vanished from DCS. Why resurrect it now?

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

16 hours ago, Mogster said:

There is a great mod that makes the Spitfire's instruments perfectly readable and also fixes the too-bright floor textures.

Click to go to these old posts ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/14/2022 at 10:43 AM, Terry Dactil said:

There is a great mod that makes the Spitfire's instruments perfectly readable and also fixes the too-bright floor textures.

Click to go to these old posts ...

Yes I have this mod, I have the darkest setting, it is an essential mod for me, makes so much difference has completely changed the cockpit for me. I do find the canopy in the external view a little to opaque maybe, also the colour of inside the cockpit still looks a little bright maybe(external view). It’s like a bright mint green colour, but it’s a minor thing, overall the spitfire looks absolutely amazing over the channel map. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Spitfire looks like not being touched by devs for years now.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hunter2.1 said:

Does anyone know why the Spitfire is so slow compared to the Mustang?, they both used the same Merlin engine.

Spitfire different airframe, parasite drag is very large in spitfire this don't allow Spitfire to get high speeds in level flight strong side of spitfire is very low induced drag this allow spitfire to out turn every thing in the sky.

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor