Horrible performance with RTX 3080 / Reverb G2 / and VR

rss0900

Had high expectations that I'd just plug all this in and it would work, but appears we need a master degree from HP just to even get the Reverb G2 working. They told me I had a bad headset but after numerous times of unplugging and plugging back to the USB 3.0 port it finally came on - no further issues as of yet with this part.

I'm coming from the original oculus and amazed at the quality and clarity of the picture, however I've got major FPS issues. Running an i9-10600, with EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra, and the Reverb G2.

1) When I start DCS Oculus software opens, then steam vr, then mixed reality - do I really need all 3 of these running? How to stop that without uninstall oculus as I still will use this for beat saber.

2) I'm getting 11 FPS in VR, with the oculus I was getting mostly above 40 - not sure what I need to do to tweak this

-

you shouldn't have oculus software running, do you mean windows MR? Otherwise, uninstall that software it's not necessary with the reverb.

Check your steam VR scaling, 100% is double what it should be with the reverb g2, so you'll want to set it at around 50%.

you shouldn't have oculus software running, do you mean windows MR? Otherwise, uninstall that software it's not necessary with the reverb.

Check your steam VR scaling, 100% is double what it should be with the reverb g2, so you'll want to set it at around 50%.

So the other part of this is everything is very jerky, even after I close DCS my pc is very slow , when I type it takes 3 or 4 seconds for something to appear and the mouse wont move around, it lags. So I don't think it's DCS causing this. I don't want to uninstall oculus because I use that for other programs, I don't want it to start with DCS though either. When I shut down all 3 my pc returns to normal. Checking Steam scaling now. Yes meant windows mixed reality that's the 3rd thing that starts up. By the way I'm running DCS non steam version

I think I found what you were talking about it's called Render Resolution : Mine was set to auto - so I change it to 50 and immediately getting 45-50FPS, then changed to 100 still getting 45FPS, set back to auto and back to 11FPS. So this looks like it's the big fix I was looking for thanks FoxTwo - Assume it's being set to 50 because we are trying to match the resolution that the G2 is per eye correct?

#1. Change your PD setting in dcs to 1.0 nost important thing. Then in steam VR check what that setting is it will give you some % setting and an actual resolution setting which needs to be near 2160x2160.

#2 get fpsVr (5 bucks on steam) check your gpu vs cpu frameimes.

#3 do you have a winwing stick or throttle?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

#1. Change your PD setting in dcs to 1.0 nost important thing. Then in steam VR check what that setting is it will give you some % setting and an actual resolution setting which needs to be near 2160x2160.

#2 get fpsVr (5 bucks on steam) check your gpu vs cpu frameimes.

#3 do you have a winwing stick or throttle?

Thanks for the tips, I think I'm good now - need to research a bit to see what other FPS people are getting with similar setup. My PD was set at 1.5 lowering it to 1 get me 70+ FPS but it's a little more blurry. Something else now going on where DCS is both in the Windows MR screen and on one of my monitor windows and the mouse no longer works in the VR headset but on the windows MR screen. What a PITA this is but I think you guys resolved my FPS issues. Much appreciated.

Also I just found that if I set the oculus client .exe to compatibility mode run as admin it no longer starts the oculus when starting DCS, so now I only have steam vr and windows MR starting.

no winwing stick, have a warthog

Perform a clean installation to Win10 20H2 and begin again. If you don't want to do that, turn down all of the options in DCS and also lower your expectations. AA will trash your fps. Your system should run VR like butter.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Thanks for the tips, I think I'm good now - need to research a bit to see what other FPS people are getting with similar setup. My PD was set at 1.5 lowering it to 1 get me 70+ FPS but it's a little more blurry. Something else now going on where DCS is both in the Windows MR screen and on one of my monitor windows and the mouse no longer works in the VR headset but on the windows MR screen. What a PITA this is but I think you guys resolved my FPS issues. Much appreciated.

Also I just found that if I set the oculus client .exe to compatibility mode run as admin it no longer starts the oculus when starting DCS, so now I only have steam vr and windows MR starting.

The general pro tip is to not use DCS pd along with steam super sampling. The steam super sampling is better than dcs PD but works differently. Use one or the other IMO not both. And most folks use DCS pd 1.0 and let steam/wmr handle the super sampling.

winwimg can eat up to 50% of your frames unless its disabled is why i ask.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Do you mean sim app pro?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Try unstalling and installing Nvidia drivers before the format option.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

So the other part of this is everything is very jerky, even after I close DCS my pc is very slow , when I type it takes 3 or 4 seconds for something to appear and the mouse wont move around, it lags. So I don't think it's DCS causing this. I don't want to uninstall oculus because I use that for other programs, I don't want it to start with DCS though either. When I shut down all 3 my pc returns to normal. Checking Steam scaling now. Yes meant windows mixed reality that's the 3rd thing that starts up. By the way I'm running DCS non steam version

In the windows services tab, change the Oculus runtime from Auto to Manual to keep this from happening.

If you have it you can also use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the service running, however it would have to be done each time the PC is booted up.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

When you lose mouse control on the screen you want it on, just hit WIN + Y on your keyboard. That switches it back and forth between the desktop and WMR. The G2 seems to be a little more sensitive to being triggered into thinking you have taken the HMD off, so I've noticed that the mouse-switching thing has become a bit more of an annoyance. IIRC, there is a way to disable that automatic feature in WMR, but I haven't tried it yet.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Do you mean sim app pro?

Yeah. It screws vr frames somehow. You need to disable it in export.lua for vr use.

• ED Team

From feedback I have been getting from G2 users the main problem is steamVR and resolution slider, 100% is well over the headsets resolution ( steam bug ) setting the slider to match as close as possible its native resolution or lower will help.

If you go to steam VR settings while dcs is running and the video tab you can set the slider per application.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

From feedback I have been getting from G2 users the main problem is steamVR and resolution slider, 100% is well over the headsets resolution ( steam bug ) setting the slider to match as close as possible its native resolution or lower will help.

If you go to steam VR settings while dcs is running and the video tab you can set the slider per application.

While it is a little bit convoluted and not the easiest thing to find, one can add a non Steam game to their Steam game library and also add a shortcut

to their Steam VR library for it. Then you don't have to have the non Steam game running in order to access those video settings for it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team

While it is a little bit convoluted and not the easiest thing to find, one can add a non Steam game to their Steam game library and also add a shortcut

to their Steam VR library for it. Then you don't have to have the non Steam game running in order to access those video settings for it.

good to know, thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The general pro tip is to not use DCS pd along with steam super sampling. The steam super sampling is better than dcs PD but works differently. Use one or the other IMO not both. And most folks use DCS pd 1.0 and let steam/wmr handle the super sampling.

winwimg can eat up to 50% of your frames unless its disabled is why i ask.

You have to set any PD/SS to 1.0 (1:1) in all instances. If you got room to increase some PD/SS do it only true SteamVR, leave everything else on 1.0.

Real 100% on steam is when it is showing resolution closest to the native G2 resolution 2160x2160 no matter what percentage SteamVR showing.

The whole setup have to be checked.

As for the oculus service: as dburne says. But I have stopped the service manually and sometimes forgot it without noticing any performance drop. Of course no unnessesary programs shoudl be running but it isnt oculus that make one end up with 11 fps.

The PD and SS is only one part of the solution. Most of the other settings in DCS can be use to turn a immersive experience into a slide show, even with a 3090.

So, all DCS settings need to be tuned correct to make DCS run nice. The initial goal should be to get the game run smooth, and first after it runs smooth the settings should be increased to gain in picture quality.

Here’s some posts I made ablout the settings:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/virtual-reality/7134520-hp-reverb-g1-issues?p=7135688#post7135688

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/virtual-reality/7134520-hp-reverb-g1-issues?p=7139808#post7139808

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/virtual-reality/7134520-hp-reverb-g1-issues?p=7139821#post7139821

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/virtual-reality/7143652-3090-first-impressions?p=7147054#post7147054

fpsvr is invaluable(but is only 3 or 4 usd on steam) when tuning the settings.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

• 4 weeks later...

@rss0900

Any update on your experience? How well runs the Syria Map for you?

What Nvidia driver are you runing?

Thanks

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

On 11/25/2020 at 12:51 PM, rss0900 said:

Had high expectations that I'd just plug all this in and it would work, but appears we need a master degree from HP just to even get the Reverb G2 working. They told me I had a bad headset but after numerous times of unplugging and plugging back to the USB 3.0 port it finally came on - no further issues as of yet with this part.

I'm coming from the original oculus and amazed at the quality and clarity of the picture, however I've got major FPS issues. Running an i9-10600, with EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra, and the Reverb G2.

1) When I start DCS Oculus software opens, then steam vr, then mixed reality - do I really need all 3 of these running? How to stop that without uninstall oculus as I still will use this for beat saber.

2) I'm getting 11 FPS in VR, with the oculus I was getting mostly above 40 - not sure what I need to do to tweak this

-

Oh dear, welcome to the Reverb club. It's massively more demanding than any other HMD on the market, so you'll need to hugely decrease all your image quality settings, specifically the ones related to the HMD - so things like the Steam application resolution, DCS PD, etc. 

Good luck - my Reverb v1 is gathering dust, as I found that even my RTX 3090/9700K wasn't powerful enough to deliver a VR experience that I found acceptable. You should be able to maintain 45fps with reprojection with your setup for most of your flying time, which many find ok, but I do not, as I'm extremely sensitive to reprojection artefacts.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

@GunSlingerAUSDepressingly similar here ... I spent yesterday switching between my Rift S and G1, trying to get the latter to work without stutters on my 3090. Not given up yet, but pretty close :sad: Even if I drop all the settings everywhere I get horrendous stutters/tearing in a roll. Rift S just works. Such a shame they are owned by FB.

I'm absolutly confused.

Yesterday I had crappy 25-35 FPS (54%, Medium Visb). Lot of frame drops in FPSVR.

Today my SteamVR didnt start properly (And no FPSVR)... Same Setting, constant 90FPS... 

(Caucasus, Nevada and PG not as bad 40-60, but Syria was the above with maxed out VRAM)

I slowely started to increase the settings

Now I have SteamVR on the recommended 150% and Game specific resolution of 120% ->  4184x4092. Increased Visb. Range back to High and still have 60-90 FPS in the exact same scenario. And I enabled Cockpit LIghtning, increased clutter...

Could it be, that this highly recommended FPSVR Tool is not working properly with the NVIDIA Driver on the RTX30XX Cards?

Slowly seeing a bit of light at the end of this tunnel...

Edited by Gruman
  • Thanks 1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard