AMRAM ripple question

El Pilotto

Not certain of my answer, but I think the missile needs to be active before switching target (ie : tracking the target himself). So before switching target, the hud indication needs to be "TTI" (Time to Impact) and not "ACT" (time to active).

Not certain of my answer, but I think the missile needs to be active before switching target (ie : tracking the target himself). So before switching target, the hud indication needs to be "TTI" (Time to Impact) and not "ACT" (time to active).

Not true, modern fighters are capapble of engaging (home their missiles) several target at once. That's what TWS mode is for.

You have to maintain track on all targets fired on until the missiles go active. It's hard to do this on more than 2, especially if the targets are maneuvering and/or firing at you. I.e. a formation of AI bombers probably the easiest set of targets to do this on. There was a bug that basically caused only the missile aimed at a primary track to be supported, but I think that was fixed.

Procedure sounds correct to me, just make sure you keep all launched-on targets in your radar field of view after firing to continue to guide them all.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Procedure sounds correct to me, just make sure you keep all launched-on targets in your radar field of view after firing to continue to guide them all.

So the radar can update multiple pre active amraams as long as the missiles remain in the radar’s scan azimuth?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Simultaneous guidance of 6 missiles to 6 targets was a procurement requirement for F-14, F-15, F-16, and F-18. Don't say "no" it's both missiles and targets.

How would you achieve that in our F18 as we only have L&S and DT2?

Seems that with the TWS of a F16 it could be done, but 'we' in F18? No idea...

How would you achieve that in our F18 as we only have L&S and DT2?

Seems that with the TWS of a F16 it could be done, but 'we' in F18? No idea...

If you have no DT2, the NWS button will step L&S through all tracked contacts in track order. Or, you can designate a new DT2 after each launch.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, Jak525 said:

L&S and DT2 designations only exist for user interface purposes. The radar will support an AMRAAM against any trackfile. https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/F/A-18C

EDIT: Seems to only occur when RESET is pressed, otherwise it works correctly.

It should, but right now, it only supports the L&S and DT2, even if the trackfiles remain but are undesignated (like stepping the L&S between targets).

Edited by Harker
Only occurs when RESET is pressed

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, Gripes323 said:

I posted a clip in this thread: 

I saw, thanks! I was using RESET to clear the L&S and now I understand that it also severs the datalink to outgoing missiles. No idea if it's supposed to do that, but good to know that the radar supports launches correctly.

20 hours ago, Jak525 said:

LOL, sigh. Of course. It was working right for a time, definitely.

Still is, I was just testing wrong. See above

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

37 minutes ago, Harker said:

I was using RESET to clear the L&S and now I understand that it also severs the datalink to outgoing missiles. No idea if it's supposed to do that

That makes sense, as Reset deletes all radar track files. 

1 hour ago, Bunny Clark said:

That makes sense, as Reset deletes all radar track files. 

ERASE deletes all track files. RESET is only supposed to clear any designations made (remove L&S and DT2) and re-apply ranks, but the track themselves remain.

I don't know if it's also supposed to sever the missile datalink though.

-

2 hours ago, Harker said:

ERASE deletes all track files. RESET is only supposed to clear any designations made (remove L&S and DT2) and re-apply ranks, but the track themselves remain.

I don't know if it's also supposed to sever the missile datalink though.

I don't think ERASE should actually delete trackfiles. It should just remove raw hit bricks.

RSET definitely shouldn't affect AMRAAM datalink support. Ranks should also be unaffected but that ties into another bug of the L&S/DT2 affecting rank, and also the difference between track priority and traxk rank.

Edited by Jak525

2 minutes ago, Jak525 said:

I don't think ERASE should actually delete trackfiles. It should just remove raw hit bricks.

RSET definitely shouldn't affect AMRAAM datalink support. Ranks should also be unaffected but that ties into another bug of the L&S/DT2 affecting rank, and also the difference between track priority and traxk rank.

At least in DCS, pressing ERASE in RWS deletes all trackfile data. But considering that raw hit bricks haven't worked correctly since the beginning, I guess it might get reworked.

As for re-ranking, I only mentioned it because I remember reading that the pilot can affect ranking by manually promoting bricks (only applicable if all HAFU display slots are already filled).

But back to the topic at hand, I've never read of RSET severing missile guidance, only clearing the L&S and DT2. And the only mention of RSET I found in the manual in regards to the air-to-air radar modes, talks about just resetting the range automatically around the L&S. Nothing about missile support whatsoever.

-

1 minute ago, Harker said:

At least in DCS, pressing ERASE in RWS deletes all trackfile data. But considering that raw hit bricks haven't worked correctly since the beginning, I guess it might get reworked.

As for re-ranking, I only mentioned it because I remember reading that the pilot can affect ranking by manually promoting bricks (only applicable if all HAFU display slots are already filled).

But back to the topic at hand, I've never read of RSET severing missile guidance, only clearing the L&S and DT2. And the only mention of RSET I found in the manual in regards to the air-to-air radar modes, talks about just resetting the range automatically around the L&S. Nothing about missile support whatsoever.

Yeah definitely shouldn't sever missile support. And yea, I sure hope hits get redone soon. It's such a fundamental.

And yeah, the DCS manual actually says that which is right, but in-game 'promoting' those raw hits to trackfiles doesn't actually work. And RSET should reset those "manually filed tracks", although thinking about that fringe case if you had AMRAAMs in flight against those last-ranked tracks (say #9 and #10), those tracks would actually be the top priority trackfiles after the L&S (if one of them wasn't also the L&S), even though the ranks are still 9 and 10, so they wouldn't get deleted with RSET anyway.