AMD RX 6800XT vs. Nvidia RTX 3080

Here is my little contribution. I received my 3080 today to replace a 1080.

I run a 10700k stock and use an Index at 120hz. I have done none of the optimisation except for the windows game mode. I dont use any SS nor PD. So 100% and 1

All numbers were from quick missions.

With the 1080, i would get 45fps with low settings with basically 90%+ reprojection. (frametime averaging 20-25) Low cockpit shadows would basically make the fps range from 30 to 45 

With the 3080, Medium visibility, high texture, trees visibility at 70%, ill get 80-90 fps with shadows for both cockpit & environment.

SS150% and No Msssa & ssaa gets me a stable reprojected 60fps 

No SS with Mssa x2 ssaax2 manages to produce a stable 60fps reprojected .

Funny thing, GPU hovers around 80% load.

DCS does run smoother, you can increase the 'eye candy' except it doesnt change much qualitatively.  It only looks slightly better. 

The new 'bottleneck' become the Index screen and the graphics engine. 

We're not there yet for a mind blowing DCS experience but it has now reached the level of satisfactory where one can reasonably consider the card as a sensible choice to wait out

the arrival of a new graphics engine and 2 generation of graphics card before deciding to buy another one.

This has made appreciate the fact that buying a 3090 is not woth it. 

Edited by florist

On 12/16/2020 at 12:55 PM, Pinello said:

Could the issues with NVIDIA drivers for Ampere have an impact on the results for the 3080?

Yes, but not by a lot. But the playability does improve a lot.

Have a look here: 

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

On 12/14/2020 at 6:12 AM, florist said:

Here is my little contribution. I received my 3080 today to replace a 1080.

I run a 10700k stock and use an Index at 120hz. I have done none of the optimisation except for the windows game mode. I dont use any SS nor PD. So 100% and 1

All numbers were from quick missions.

With the 1080, i would get 45fps with low settings with basically 90%+ reprojection. (frametime averaging 20-25) Low cockpit shadows would basically make the fps range from 30 to 45 

With the 3080, Medium visibility, high texture, trees visibility at 70%, ill get 80-90 fps with shadows for both cockpit & environment.

SS150% and No Msssa & ssaa gets me a stable reprojected 60fps 

No SS with Mssa x2 ssaax2 manages to produce a stable 60fps reprojected .

Funny thing, GPU hovers around 80% load.

DCS does run smoother, you can increase the 'eye candy' except it doesnt change much qualitatively.  It only looks slightly better. 

The new 'bottleneck' become the Index screen and the graphics engine. 

We're not there yet for a mind blowing DCS experience but it has now reached the level of satisfactory where one can reasonably consider the card as a sensible choice to wait out

the arrival of a new graphics engine and 2 generation of graphics card before deciding to buy another one.

This has made appreciate the fact that buying a 3090 is not woth it. 

"little?"

That's an excellent contribution 👍

On 12/14/2020 at 6:12 AM, florist said:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

So I have a question vaguely related to the main idea of the topic but perhaps one that can be answered by those who have Radeon.

I have Rtx 3080 TUF, but managed to buy 6800XT Asus LC Strix. I am genuinely curious about its performance in DCS but also how Radeon looks like after few years (my last amd gpu was Fury Nitro by Sapphire). And to see if change of hardware and software will cure stutters. 

Are there any steps of removing nvidia drivers and remainder of the software and installing AMD drivers ? 

I know that in the past a fairly thorough cleanup of registry was advised. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Yes, you can (actually, should) use DDU to clean display drivers, be it from Nvidia and/or AMD, when changing GPU brand, like swapping from Nvidia to AMD as is your intention.
After the DDU cleaning and system restart, you just need to install the latest AMD Adrenalin drivers for your GPU, with the "Factory Reset" (i.e, fresh installation) option ticked.

DDU Download: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v18035-released
DDU Guide Tutorial: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial

A video tutorial as well (and there are many others in Youtube), just in case:

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

In modern Operating System you dont have to do that anymore.

You can run both GPU´s at the same time in your system with both drivers active and working without any problems in Windows 10.

Its not windows 98 or ME.

We couldn´t see any problems switching cards. And we couln´t determine any speed differences on systems where one or the other driver have or havent been installed before.

It is way more important to delete the shader cache to avaiod any problems in DCS.

The minimal differences in Firestrike are really common and just normal variation. You can install it and run it a couple of times, you´ll see some variation in the results.

The AMD/NVIDIA video drivers can normally be uninstalled from the Windows Control panel, this driver uninstaller program was designed to be used in cases where the standard driver uninstall fails, or anyway when you need to thoroughly delete NVIDIA and ATI video card drivers. The current effect after you use this driver removal tool will be similar as if its the first time you install a new driver just like a fresh, clean install of Windows. As with any tool of this kind, we recommend creating a new system restore point before using it, so that you can revert your system at any time if you run into problems. 

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by JayRoc

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

Yeah, I know of DDU. Thank you. Its actually useful when you try to fix other issues with GPU. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

Also, are there any settings in particular that you would recommend using in Radeon software for the DCS ? I know Nvidia control panel but not Radeon software, so if there is anything useful I'd like to take advantage of that 🙂 

13 hours ago, Hiromachi said:

Also, are there any settings in particular that you would recommend using in Radeon software for the DCS ? I know Nvidia control panel but not Radeon software, so if there is anything useful I'd like to take advantage of that 🙂 

Merely as suggestion, try testing MSAA at 2x and SSAA at x1.5 (both set in DCS options at same time).

This will improve enormously the details and image quality, even on things that you wouldn't think still shimmer and/or with "jaggies" with MSAA x4 (but they do), such as trees, river beds, cockpit details, and a big etc.
Note that this will also blur the image a bit. Therefore, in your graphics drivers (AMD Adrenalin) settings, create a profile for DCS, and in it set "Radeon Image Sharpening" ON, and set at 10%, which brings back again any missing clarity for such combo.

Results in a beautiful and smooth image quality, IMO.

There are also other settings that I'd personally recommend to change, and for any game, and those are:

• "Morphological Anti-Aliasing - OFF (i.e, "Disabled").
  • "Surface Format Optimization" - OFF  (i.e, "Disabled").
  • "Tessellation" - change from "AMD Optimised" to "Override Application Settings" then set at 16x

The two first ones are legacy settings, not really effective for performance (not at all, in my experience) and can degrade image quality, therefore are better set to disabled.
Tesselation on AMD is still not as performant if compared to Nvidia, and seeing that you won't really notice improvements in image quality with it set at above 16x (setting it at "application controled" seems to max it at 64x automatically), it then means that if setting it fixed at 16x, you can increase performance a bit without any degrade in image quality (obviously, for games/applications that use Tesselation).

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Thanks Luc, although Im not sure MSAA and SSAA are viable considering I play DCS in VR only. But if performance allows I will try MSAA x2 at least. 

I've noticed SS set to 170% will get you much better results than rising the MSAA to 2x. Still waiting for my Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 though.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

On 12/22/2020 at 1:07 PM, LucShep said:

Merely as suggestion, try testing MSAA at 2x and SSAA at x1.5 (both set in DCS options at same time).

This will improve enormously the details and image quality, even on things that you wouldn't think still shimmer and/or with "jaggies" with MSAA x4 (but they do), such as trees, river beds, cockpit details, and a big etc.
Note that this will also blur the image a bit. Therefore, in your graphics drivers (AMD Adrenalin) settings, create a profile for DCS, and in it set "Radeon Image Sharpening" ON, and set at 10%, which brings back again any missing clarity for such combo.

Results in a beautiful and smooth image quality, IMO.

There are also other settings that I'd personally recommend to change, and for any game, and those are:

• "Morphological Anti-Aliasing - OFF (i.e, "Disabled").
  • "Surface Format Optimization" - OFF  (i.e, "Disabled").
  • "Tessellation" - change from "AMD Optimised" to "Override Application Settings" then set at 16x

The two first ones are legacy settings, not really effective for performance (not at all, in my experience) and can degrade image quality, therefore are better set to disabled.
Tesselation on AMD is still not as performant if compared to Nvidia, and seeing that you won't really notice improvements in image quality with it set at above 16x (setting it at "application controled" seems to max it at 64x automatically), it then means that if setting it fixed at 16x, you can increase performance a bit without any degrade in image quality (obviously, for games/applications that use Tesselation).

You need very different settings for each different vr hmd. On your 32" it is also another story.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, =Pedro= said:

I've noticed SS set to 170% will get you much better results than rising the MSAA to 2x. Still waiting for my Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 though.

SS is allways supirior to any AA. But more GPU heavy.

| F-16C | FC3 | TM Hotas Cougar | CH Products Pro Pedals |

Pc1: AMD 5900x, RX6800xt, 32Gb 3600 CL19, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Pc2: AMD 2700, GTX 1080ti, 32Gb 3200 CL16, MSI x370 Gaming Carbon

Samsung Odyssey, Pimax 8kx, HP G2 (incoming), Pimax 5k+ (ex), Pimax 4k (ex), Vive Pro (ex), Oculus CV1 (ex), Oculus CV1 (ex)

Simple fact from experience: Windows 10 Home edition won't let you install other drivers that the one it choses unless you use DDU, reason why it is useful, and I'm talking about a fully updated O.S.

In any case, it is always better to clean the O.S from drivers that can conflict with the new ones.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.