How the hell do you guys land this thing?

HoneyViper

I don't ever trim the F18 (or the F16). The trick is in controlling the AoA E bracket and AoA indexer lights with steady throttle and pitch control.

• Like 1

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Trim is useful to take out the pressure and more hands off

If you are stable without it you are better than me

I trim to get the attitude right but stability and predictability is key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

1 hour ago, DAZnBLAST said:

I don't ever trim the F18 (or the F16). The trick is in controlling the AoA E bracket and AoA indexer lights with steady throttle and pitch control.

If you trim the Hornet to get the E bracket and VVI centered, you don't ever touch the pitch control (the stick). Go up with more throttle; go down with less throttle. The E bracket will stay  with the VVI.

With that said, if you put the E bracket (and the VVI) on the deck astern of the wires, you will ramp strike unless you get the expected wave-off and abort the attempted trap. Once you are 1.2 to 1.3 nmi behind and aligned with the FB, on speed with the E bracket and VVI in the general vicinity of the flight deck, you should see the Ball centered (or easy to get it that way). At 3/4 nmi by tacan, announce your bort number, your A/C type, that you either have the Ball or Clara, then your fuel state. Keep the Ball centered all the way down and don't drift left or right. Trap just about every time unless your hook is up. (If it is up, your orange Donut will be flashing.)

The only time you use the stick while in the Groove is to correct your bank and fix "Right for lineup" or "Come left." (Please note that you will never hear "Come Right" or "Left for lineup.") If the Ball says you are too low, too high, or heading one of those ways, USE THE THROTTLE.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

800 ft, 350 kts, hook down, two switches certainly NOT set to field landings, landing lights off, flying just to starboard of the carrier. Course line on the HSI set to BRC. Eyeball the deck to make sure it's still there waiting for you. At the bow (or further upwind if you're not flight lead), bank hard, pull the throttle, boards, pull enough G's to match your hundreds of knots (about 3 1/2 G's at the break then as you slow down, ease up on the G's to match), drop the gear, full flaps, and pull the boards back in, get on speed with that E bracket and VVI together. Your Course line still is a duplicate of the BRC and with 5 nmi on the HSI range, you'll know when you are 1.3 from that course line. Once you do get set up for the trap and are on your down wind at the right altitude (about 600 ft), hit the Course (change) line (down) 9 times to get your FB (Final Bearing). As you pass the carrier's round down, you should be ready to bank and slowly descend (about 400 ft at the 90). Add some power during the bank but watch your speed doesn't get too high. Since your Course line is now the FB, ease off the power before you level your wings and finish your turn only when you are lined up with that course line. You should be in the perfect spot for the Groove with the Ball visible and quickly check your fuel state.

That's how I do it.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

9 hours ago, Lex Talionis said:

If you value your sanity, trim the aircraft .

(This thread is becoming painful)

Yes it is, as are many others. If you were in a real aircraft with normal control forces, you'd naturally be trimming. With one exception (formation flight) flying in an untrimmed state is practicing bleeding.

I'll never understand the drama over trim and round gauges around here. It's basic flying. It's a bit strange to see people who don't actually fly become HUD cripples. 

Viewpoints are my own.

Lot of Good info read this thread for the finer points

Practice, Practice did I say practice

If your landing on a Carrier the formula is BRC minus 10

Trim is your friend

Once you achieve the Orange Donut note the power setting on the DDI is N2

You should be hands off for up and down only time you use the stick for up and down is small immediate corrections without touching the Throttles

Remember to lower the gear and or Tailhook if you’re landing on the boat

Remember to breathe don’t want a pilot turning blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD