Functionality request

Coranthia

Hi TrueGrit,

One of the primary tasks of the Eurofighter for many of the air forces that use this aircraft is air policing (QRA/scramble/alert). This gives a good scope of missions that users can make, in intercepting aircraft entering a region's ADIZ. DCS modules have a special tab in the mission editor for any specification/options for the aircraft e.g. armour & heat shields on helis, rocket pod single/ripple. Is it possible to have a "Scramble" tick box option in this special tab when placing the Eurofighter in the mission editor, so the aircraft can be set ready to go (e.g. GPS/INS already aligned) as per real life for any aircraft on scramble tasking? This is obviously different to the "hot start" option already in DCS as QRA aircraft aren't sitting with the engines on ready to scramble.

Interested to see if this is possible? I understand the harrier module has an option for ground crew to have pre-aligned the nav system already, so I thought this could be possible to do?

Many thanks, and looking forward to more news on this beast!

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2020 at 1:01 PM, Coranthia said:

Hi TrueGrit,

One of the primary tasks of the Eurofighter for many of the air forces that use this aircraft is air policing (QRA/scramble/alert). This gives a good scope of missions that users can make, in intercepting aircraft entering a region's ADIZ. DCS modules have a special tab in the mission editor for any specification/options for the aircraft e.g. armour & heat shields on helis, rocket pod single/ripple. Is it possible to have a "Scramble" tick box option in this special tab when placing the Eurofighter in the mission editor, so the aircraft can be set ready to go (e.g. GPS/INS already aligned) as per real life for any aircraft on scramble tasking? This is obviously different to the "hot start" option already in DCS as QRA aircraft aren't sitting with the engines on ready to scramble.

Interested to see if this is possible? I understand the harrier module has an option for ground crew to have pre-aligned the nav system already, so I thought this could be possible to do?

That would indeed be nice to have. The Tomcat is a great example for this solution.

+1

On 12/24/2020 at 6:51 AM, Hentai Paisen said:

Good idea, a special menu option like with Razbam's Mirage and Harrier for pre-aligned INS would be great.

I think you missunderstood what the OP proposed. He didn't propose a special menu option for a pre-aligned INS like there is for the RAZBAM modules, but a mission editor option for each aircraft placed in the mission to have a pre-stored alignment.

These things might sound very similar, but they are not!

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, Bananabrai said:

The Typhoon has a memory option. 

It does indeed but it only works if the INS has had a full align and then shut down ready for the next align to be a mem align.  You can't just do a mem heading align from cold.

• Like 1

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

On 5/14/2021 at 6:23 PM, Specter said:

It does indeed but it only works if the INS has had a full align and then shut down ready for the next align to be a mem align.  You can't just do a mem heading align from cold.

The Tomcat is the same AFAIK, but it has an option (in 'additional parameters for aircraft') to have the INS alignment stored, so the stored alignment is available.

Essentially approximating having an aircraft that previously had a full alignment, shut down, and then wasn't moved, allowing for the stored heading.

Personally, I wish all modules with a stored heading option had it available, the F-16 and F/A-18 currently don't have such an option.  

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:59 PM, Northstar98 said:

The Tomcat is the same AFAIK, but it has an option (in 'additional parameters for aircraft') to have the INS alignment stored, so the stored alignment is available.

Essentially approximating having an aircraft that previously had a full alignment, shut down, and then wasn't moved, allowing for the stored heading.

Personally, I wish all modules with a stored heading option had it available, the F-16 and F/A-18 currently don't have such an option.  

I was commenting on the Typhoon as I have RL experience of it.  DCS is a game and they can program whatever unrealistic wizardry they like but I'm betting IRL every fighter you listed will work the same way as the Typhoon.  Every RL fighter I have ever worked on needs a full align before a memhdg align.

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

18 minutes ago, Specter said:

I was commenting on the Typhoon as I have RL experience of it.  DCS is a game and they can program whatever unrealistic wizardry they like but I'm betting IRL every fighter you listed will work the same way as the Typhoon.  Every RL fighter I have ever worked on needs a full align before a memhdg align.

That's how I understood it to work - to have a stored heading or whatever alignment, you need to have a full alignment to begin with, then if you shut down the aircraft and don't change its heading, you should have the stored/memory heading alignment available.

However we can't do that in DCS, because we can't simulate what the aircraft was like beforehand; so in some aircraft there's an option there so you can have the stored alignment available - so it's as if the aircraft previously had a full alignment, if that makes sense.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Fully understand. Don't get me wrong, after nearly 40 years of watching INS alignment status countdowns simulating that aspect in a game is taking simulation too far IMHO.  I'm all for instant align options.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, Specter said:

Yes, I know. If you keep the BAT on for XY seconds after shutdown the MEM align is available.

For the purpouse of DCS you could just assume it was on and fully aligned in advance. 

Just assume there was someone flying before you in the same jet.

At least the MEM align should be made avaibale through ME or DCS settings.

• Like 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2021 at 11:43 AM, Bananabrai said:

Yes, I know. If you keep the BAT on for XY seconds after shutdown the MEM align is available.

For the purpouse of DCS you could just assume it was on and fully aligned in advance. 

Just assume there was someone flying before you in the same jet.

At least the MEM align should be made avaibale through ME or DCS settings.

There will be a MEM align for QRA-Ops 😉

On 11/26/2020 at 1:01 PM, Coranthia said:

Hi TrueGrit,

It is possible! We want to create it as precise as possible...

On 5/19/2021 at 5:22 PM, Specter said:

Fully understand. Don't get me wrong, after nearly 40 years of watching INS alignment status countdowns simulating that aspect in a game is taking simulation too far IMHO.  I'm all for instant align options.

I, personally, like quick alignments of the (L)INS, too 😄

• Like 4

-TITS-

Lead SME Eurofighter Typhoon

TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be better if it was an option on the Editor and not in the Special tab of Options. That way, you can easily choose one or the other and even have some aircraft that have it and some that do not, in the same mission.

• Like 4

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Heya,

Correct, the option in mission editor is very good.

This brings new ideas for missions.

CU you in the * AIR *  ^AirWolf

PC > BE QUIIET Power 1000 W ATX 3.0 * ROG STRIX Z690-F * i7-12700 KF * DDR5-6000 64 GB * M.2 980 EVO PRO 2 TB * RX 7900 XTX 24 MB XFX MERC 310 BLACK EDITION  *

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, Harker said:

It would be better if it was an option on the Editor and not in the Special tab of Options. That way, you can easily choose one or the other and even have some aircraft that have it and some that do not, in the same mission.

Absolutely this, it's what the Tomcat has and it's the best way of doing it IMO.

System: