Mission 5. JSOW shutted down by sa-10.

Hi. How it's supposed to pass this mission. I launch the 3 JSOW to 4, 5 and 6 WP as planned but the SA-10 always shut down the big and slow boms. Thanks in advance.

HI MRamon

You need to keep at least 40 miles ( can get away with 35 miles at a push) from the target any closer and they will go into red alert and shoot down all your missiles. See second item under TIPs in the "in game" briefing it is discussed there. So you need to keep high enough to get the range without going too close. This is the challenge of this mission.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Hi. How it's supposed to pass this mission. I launch the 3 JSOW to 4, 5 and 6 WP as planned but the SA-10 always shut down the big and slow boms. Thanks in advance.

It was the most challenging mission for me, I succeeded by flying at Angels 40 to have max range on the JSOWs, drop the first 3 as soon as I was in range then immediately initiate a 180° turn then stayed about 50 miles away in orbit. Basically as soon as you are picked up by the "10" on your RWR, you flew too close and the site will target your JSOWs and destroy them. If you stay far enough (no "10" on RWR, approx. 35 miles minimum at Angels 40), the site will not activate and your JSOWs will hit. Same for the final target, I just updated WP6 using given coordinates, dropped on it and turned away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

On 11/29/2020 at 3:22 PM, Qiou87 said:

It was the most challenging mission for me, I succeeded by flying at Angels 40 to have max range on the JSOWs, drop the first 3 as soon as I was in range then immediately initiate a 180° turn then stayed about 50 miles away in orbit. Basically as soon as you are picked up by the "10" on your RWR, you flew too close and the site will target your JSOWs and destroy them. If you stay far enough (no "10" on RWR, approx. 35 miles minimum at Angels 40), the site will not activate and your JSOWs will hit. Same for the final target, I just updated WP6 using given coordinates, dropped on it and turned away.

Thank you. Yes. I passed fliying over angels 38. Doesn't make too much sense to me since even that the radar dind't detect me, which is hard to believe, it detects certanly the jsows, so they can be shooted down.

Firma-Ala12-RV3.jpg

15 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Skyfire said:

Thank you. Yes. I passed fliying over angels 38. Doesn't make too much sense to me since even that the radar dind't detect me, which is hard to believe, it detects certanly the jsows, so they can be shooted down.

Great to hear you completed the mission! I am no SAM/IADS expert, I guess the reasoning is, the site is "dormant" as long as it doesn't detect a big aircraft. JSOWs probably have a small RCS and wouldn't pop up in this state, but as soon as the site becomes active/on alert, it is able to detect them. This is ED programming, not really Badger's fault.

• Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

• 5 months later...
31 minutes ago, Migo said:

Is there a trick on how to reach angels 40?

The higher I get the slower the Hornet becomes, I can barely hold 130 knots on full afterburner getting close to angels 35.

No trick. Use a progressive accent / Keep height in mind when dealing with bogies prior / you only have to get high enough  to release JSOW without going into radius from target as set out in brief.

Control and situational awareness is part of this missions challenge.

Badger633

• Like 1

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 2 months later...

My last JSOW was shot down by SAMs at the last target even though I released it behind the 40 mile limit. 

This is just a bad idea for a mission. JSOWs in DCS are pretty useless. It would be best for the campaign to add a skip feature so it can be bypassed. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

24 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

My last JSOW was shot down by SAMs at the last target even though I released it behind the 40 mile limit. 

This is just a bad idea for a mission. JSOWs in DCS are pretty useless. It would be best for the campaign to add a skip feature so it can be bypassed. 

I checked the mission today in the current open beta for another reason. Worked fine. You must have drifted in the zone at some point. It doesn’t matter what distance you release at if you have already entered the zone at any time the SAMs will go into red alert. Once in red alert they will shoot the JSOWs down. Keep out of the zone and they will not go into red alert.

At one time when the campaign was first produced the JSOWs would not get shot down. As a result of ED updates they do indeed get shot down when attacking active SAMs. This is why the mission was adapted so they will not go into red alert as long as you keep your distance at all times as briefed. 

Hope this helps

Badger633

Edited by Badger633

1 hour ago, Badger633 said:

You must have drifted in the zone at some point

I was probably 50 mi away at about FL40

you have too many silly limits and triggers and criteria in this campaign. I think this isn’t my cup of tea. I’m all up for realistic things like ROEs etc. but your criteria is gamey and hidden from the player. 
Another issue with this mission is fuel. I added a tank to the load-out (which you should include by default) Even with that I’m barely able to get to the targets climbing to 40,000’ with 4 JSOWs and after a big fight with the MiGs. Then the tanker is nowhere to be seen because your VR friendly strategy keeps it un-spawned. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

6 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I was probably 50 mi away at about FL40

you have too many silly limits and triggers and criteria in this campaign. I think this isn’t my cup of tea. I’m all up for realistic things like ROEs etc. but your criteria is gamey and hidden from the player. 
Another issue with this mission is fuel. I added a tank to the load-out (which you should include by default) Even with that I’m barely able to get to the targets climbing to 40,000’ with 4 JSOWs and after a big fight with the MiGs. Then the tanker is nowhere to be seen because your VR friendly strategy keeps it un-spawned. 

All the criteria to complete the mission is set out in the brief including tips there is nothing hidden.
There is no need for an additional fuel tank if you carefully control fuel use as set out in the brief, in fact the additional weight may be part of the problem.

There is no height criteria. The brief is only a suggestion. The height you fly at is up to you but you need to fly high enough to be able to release your weapons but at the same time keep from going so close that you set the SAMs into red alert.  Flew it just now without any problems as low as 34000 feet and had all three JSOWs away by 42miles. (The SAMs activation trigger is actually at 32 miles)

A common mistake with this mission is to release the first weapon at a good distance but stray into the activation zone with the last. You can release them in more than one run if you want to keep your distance. To get the weapons away quickly ensure all JSOWs are set to TOO prior so it’s just a matter of target change and release.

The real challenge in this mission is one of fuel management and aircraft control, achieving the right balance between your height  speed and release of the weapons whilst keeping a safe distance from the target.

If you take on board the above you will have no problems.

Hope this helps.

Badger633

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Badger633 said:

All the criteria to complete the mission is set out in the brief including tips there is nothing hidden.

The “activation zone” is secret and gamey. It seems to be greater than the 40 miles in the briefing. The idea of this “zone” is gamey and doesn’t seem to correspond to anything real world like a ground spike from the radar which the player can perceive. 

The height you fly at is up to you but you need to fly high enough to be able to release your weapons but at the same time keep from going so close that you set the SAMs into red alert.

At FL40 I am barely able to get a single JSOW launched without straying into the gamey 40 mile zone. Literally by seconds. 

The SAMs activation trigger is actually at 32 miles

Ok so why does the briefing say 40? See you’re making up invisible arbitrary pass/fail gamey hoops for the player to jump through. 

There is no need for an additional fuel tank if you carefully control fuel use as set out in the brief, in fact the additional weight may be part of the problem.

There’s no reason not to bring the tank. It’s empty and jettisoned by the time I reach WP3. 

The real challenge in this mission is

The “challenge” you’re trying to create is arcade-game style and not like what should be in a sim. If there are flight restrictions they should correspond to reality like a hard deck, no-fire zones, air corridors or national borders etc. And they should all be described in a kneeboard map. The weapons used here aren’t being employed realistically since I suppose a JSOW would need a coordinated SEAD strike to be effective. But the VR limits you’re planning around mean flights of one or two aircraft, apparently having the tanker spawned in is too much for VR to handle. In another campaign which is designed better, I have a wingman since in reality I don’t think there are any combat ops you’d fly alone, if I didn’t manage to destroy the target I can order my wingman to attack. You’re just making an arcade game of a single plane obeying gamey game stuff to pass the mission. And limiting it due to VR capability. 

• Like 1

IIRC in this campaign in Mission 5 I would get to around 34-35k ft, and launch the JSOW as soon as I got the in range cue.

Immediately after launching I would circle around and time it to where I could launch the next JSOW after completing the circle.

I don't think I ever climbed above 35k ft. Hoping I am remembering it correctly - I have flown this campaign three times now.

It definitely is my favorite campaign so far. Am in the middle of The Persian Lion awaiting the fix for Mission 8 to drop.

I am still somewhat new to campaign flying with the Hornet and still learning, but so far the Serpent Head campaigns have been my absolute favorite, I have flown both 1 and 2 three times, not too awfully complex for me and thoroughly enjoying the Persian Lion so far.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 year later...

I'm very much enjoying this Campaign but I too struggled with my first attempt at mission 5. After work tonight I'm going to give it another crack. So, I got up to the point where I splashed a Bandit then took out all 3 bunkers & they looked great exploding in the dim light. I then plotted my precise lat long secs coordinates & I double checked them, created WP7 & released my last JSOW. I should've chose ext weap view to follow that one too but I didn't & nothing happened so it must've been shot down & I do recall hearing my RWR going off. So I take it, soon as you hear the RWR sounding after or before you release final JSOW, that means you might as well restart the mission yes?

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

4 hours ago, GazAce said:

So I take it, soon as you hear the RWR sounding after or before you release final JSOW, that means you might as well restart the mission yes?

IIRC, yes, if you hear the RWR go off you're done.  The briefing explicitly gives you the conditions you need to avoid setting them off, and once the SAM's have been alerted the JSOW's have little chance to avoid being shot down.

I just completed it now & after two wave offs haha

Thanks for your input anyhow 🙂

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've just played this mission and wanted to offer my 2c.  What I took away from the briefing was that the my aircraft was at risk of getting shot down if I got too close, so I should keep my distance.  I don't think it's fair to assume that the player should know that what's actually happening is that by his getting too close the SA-10 is being activated and his JSOWs are then at risk of being shot down.  The end result was that although I got the SA10 on my EW, I thought I was doing ok as I didn't get shot down but, of course, then my JSOWs did.  And so here I am in the forum trying to find out what's going on, and the whole immersion thing has taken a bit of a hit.  I think it would be preferable for the briefing, in some way, no matter if contrived or unrealistic, to directly tell the player that his aircraft must not be detected by the SA-10 or e.g. the operators will suddenly get very jumpy and spot the JSOWs which they otherwise wouldn't have, or some such.

Anyway, I continue to enjoy the campaign, thanks for making it.

Edited by Hippo
  • Like 1

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Hi, glad your enjoying the campaign. 👍

I am away from my rig for this week but will check when I’m back, but am pretty sure the brief clearly sets out what conditions would put the SAMs into red alert. See Rob10’s post three posts above which confirms this. 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

The briefing, imho, does not make it clear that the JSOWs are at risk of getting shot down if you get closer than 40 nm.  Also, if the SA-10 can shoot down the JSOWs, then it will be able to do it whether your F-18 comes within 40 nm or it doesn't.  Hence some reason is required to explain to the player as to why he has to keep 40 nm away.

Another thing I had trouble with was that I couldn't work out where the tanker was from the description in the briefing, which I found too vague ("just west of the mountains").

image.png

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Thanks for the excerpt, perhaps the explanation was in the PDF version of the brief cannot access that at the moment,  but happy to clarify it in the in game brief as well in a future update.
Basically the principle as far as the mission is concerned is that if you keep the recommended distance from the SAM site it will not go into an alert (Red condition) but remains in green condition and is therefore not looking for your missiles.

The real explanation

Spoiler

This campaign was written a few years ago, as you know DCS is updated regularly. When this mission was published the SAM site in question could not shoot down incoming JSOW’s. All good. Then at some point after a DCS update this changed and broke the mission. The current principle of a 40 mile activation zone was introduced to fix the broken mission. All campaign missions are regularly broken by DCS updates and we have to come up with fixes. 

The description of the location of the tanker is not actually meant for you to locate it. You should be using the Tacan which is given to you.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Badger633
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for responding.  I admin that I didn't read the PDF briefing, but having checked it, the text is the same as the in-game.  Suggestion:  perhaps put it in the kneeboard as well; as a VR user I'm all for having as much as possible in the kneeboard.  The red/ green alert thing seems fine to me, but the point is that the player shouldn't have to come to a forum to find this out.

I was running low on fuel in the mission on the way back to the carrier, I must've been around 60 nm from the target, and activated the TACAN but couldn't lock on to the tanker, so I assume it was just too far away (but where?).  I didn't expect to locate it from the briefing, but to know its general wherabouts would've been helpful.  This is information which I assume is normally provided and imho should be in the briefing (is it the blue arrow on the chart?)

I am not posting to be negative or difficult, but to suggest changes that would've improved my experience in the mission and so might help others in the future.  Whether you decide to make changes or not is of course your decision.  I have no idea how many people are still buying your campaign, and I understand and have every sympathy that you can't be expected to support and improve it forever.

Whilst I'm here.  I was unable to hit the targets in this mission but still attempted to make my way back to the carrier and was then greeted by a MISSION FAILED message and the mission ending.  I much prefer allowing the player to continue and providing any such information after landing.  IMHO returning safely to the carrier is the most important objective.  Obviously not suggesting that you change that, just that you maybe consider it for your future campaigns, which I hope there will be.

Edited by Hippo