Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

tapi

Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

• Bf 109 G-6 Late
    • Tempest Mk. V
    • Spitfire Mk XIV (Griffon, bubble canopy)
    • Fw 190 F/G-8
    • A6M5 Zero
    • P-38 J/L Lightning
    • F6F Hellcat
    • Bf 109 E
    • Spitfire Mk. I/II
    • Other (not mentioned) aircraft

13 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

We need a dive bomber for the Channel map... specifically something for Dunkirk.

There was a Ju87 in the works from one of the 3rd part dev’s (Polychop?) but I seem to remember some intra team strife being rumoured and it’s a dead project now. 

I'm just surprised that it never made it into ED's plans though.

But isn't suggesting the project remain dead a little like suggesting ED should step away from WWII. The Stuka is to dive bombing what the Tiger tank is to armored vehicle combat IMO, and I think it has definitely earned a place in any well respected flight SIM. As an addition to DCS, the Stuka would offer more than just its iconic shape, but another very unique style of flying as well. From its fear inspiring siren to its rear facing MG, the Stuka would bring a lot to DCS WWII. If your into serious ground pounding, the Stuka can offer up a whole new meaning to the term,... mud-spike! 

Edited by Callsign112

14 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

I'm just surprised that it never made it into ED's plans though.

But isn't suggesting the project remain dead a little like suggesting ED should step away from WWII. The Stuka is to dive bombing what the Tiger tank is to armored vehicle combat IMO, and I think it has definitely earned a place in any well respected flight SIM. As an addition to DCS, the Stuka would offer more than just its iconic shape, but another very unique style of flying as well. From its fear inspiring siren to its rear facing MG, the Stuka would bring a lot to DCS WWII. If your into serious ground pounding, the Stuka can offer up a whole new meaning to the term,... mud-spike! 

I didn’t say it should “remain dead” I’m just reporting what’s happened with the project to date.

A Ju87 (and Me 110) would be vital for BoF BOB and Eastern Front scenarios.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

I didn’t say it should “remain dead” I’m just reporting what’s happened with the project to date.

A Ju87 (and Me 110) would be vital for BoF BOB and Eastern Front scenarios.

Yeah my bad, I didn't mean you want work on the Stuka to remain dead, I meant the powers that be. Regardless of why the previous effort stopped, I was referring to the apparent inaction that followed, or should I say follows.

BTW, I appreciated the information you gave on the history behind the Stuka story.

Weren't they quickly removed from the front line in BOB. Easy prey for the RAF. 

Doesn't make much sense to have one with the current aircraft and map... Unless they go to the Eastern front or BOB. 

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

21 minutes ago, Krupi said:

Doesn't make much sense to have one with the current aircraft and map... Unless they go to the Eastern front or BOB. 

They were withdrawn by September iirc. The RAF had to stop them as to their credit when they got through they created havoc, particularly on air bases and radar stations.

Similarly, the 110 was withdrawn from service as a day fighter during the BoB for the same reasons.  The 110 was active as a night fighter over our current WWII maps and in 1943 it was reoriented to a bomber interceptor to counter daylight raids by B-17 and B-24, however they were not on our maps but further east closer to the targets in Germany.  The main purpose of the 110 in 43 and 44 seems to have been to soak up as many rounds as possible from the P-47s to allow the 109s the best chance if getting to the bombers.

2 hours ago, Krupi said:

It is hard to argue against that since most of the assets are meant to portray the start of the allied invasion, but you could also argue that the Stuka was instrumental in reaching the need for the allied invasion just as easily as you could argue that it was all over with by the time the K4 arrives. My personal feeling is that maps should be useful enough for the duration of the campaign. It doesn't make much sense IMO to expect a different version Normandy/Channel map for each battle of WWII. Given the right assets, I think the maps we have could work well enough to portray WWII as opposed to a specific battle/s. If we were to get another European map, I would much prefer that it be anything but Normandy/ the Channel.

But you make a good point, and I have to admit that they would have to add more than just the Stuka to make it enjoyable, and at the current rate of production, it doesn't make sense.   

27 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

It is hard to argue against that since most of the assets are meant to portray the start of the allied invasion, but you could also argue that the Stuka was instrumental in reaching the need for the allied invasion just as easily as you could argue that it was all over with by the time the K4 arrives. My personal feeling is that maps should be useful enough for the duration of the campaign. It doesn't make much sense IMO to expect a different version Normandy/Channel map for each battle of WWII. Given the right assets, I think the maps we have could work well enough to portray WWII as opposed to a specific battle/s. If we were to get another European map, I would much prefer that it be anything but Normandy/ the Channel.

But you make a good point, and I have to admit that they would have to add more than just the Stuka to make it enjoyable, and at the current rate of production, it doesn't make sense.   

The current WW2 ETO maps really are too small to do much with, tiny compared to the other DCS maps, especially The Channel. A larger or expanded WW2 channel map would also work for the Battle of France.

https://stormofwar.net/2021/07/19/july-2021-dcs-map-comparison/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The current WW2 ETO maps really are too small to do much with, tiny compared to the other DCS maps, especially The Channel. A larger or expanded WW2 channel map would also work for the Battle of France.

https://stormofwar.net/2021/07/19/july-2021-dcs-map-comparison/

Yeah I think it was a missed opportunity. They could have really increased the historical value of the Channel map by including more/all of France. But maybe strictly viewing maps as belonging to specific dates like that is part of the SIM culture to help create a certain cachet for the customer. Personally I think it is too limiting and ends up doing more harm than good. I mean you almost have to pick a specific date to create an historical map, but I think it would make more sense to view maps as a general setting, and rely on the assets to portray the desired historical date.  

13 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Yeah I think it was a missed opportunity. They could have really increased the historical value of the Channel map by including more/all of France. But maybe strictly viewing maps as belonging to specific dates like that is part of the SIM culture to help create a certain cachet for the customer. Personally I think it is too limiting and ends up doing more harm than good. I mean you almost have to pick a specific date to create an historical map, but I think it would make more sense to view maps as a general setting, and rely on the assets to portray the desired historical date.  

I think it was a fudge, Channel is like a tiny tech demo. Normandy is a bit more useable but not much. However  I don’t regret buying both as I’ve had fun with them and at this point I’m happy to support the project.

If you look at the other DCS maps they are much bigger. I accept that W Europe’s cities are difficult but ED are going to have to approach this. Tiny ETO maps will not be enough going forward if ED are serious about WW2. Agree about the dates, we shouldn’t be too hung up on them as long as the maps are from the correct period. Before/after D-Day is a good start.

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 1

I'd just like to see a bunch of AI aircraft to begin with to flesh out the scenarios, e.g. Hurricane, Spit V, 109E, 110.  

• Like 8

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

I think it was a fudge, Channel is like a tiny tech demo. Normandy is a bit more useable but not much. However  I don’t regret buying both as I’ve had fun with them and at this point I’m happy to support the project.

If you look at the other DCS maps they are much bigger. I accept that W Europe’s cities are difficult but ED are going to have to approach this. Tiny ETO maps will not be enough going forward if ED are serious about WW2. Agree about the dates, we shouldn’t be too hung up on them as long as the maps are from the correct period. Before/after D-Day is a good start.

I agree completely and don't regret purchasing both Normandy/Channel maps, not even for a moment. They are great maps, I would like to see Ugra devote a little more time to improving/fixing Normandy, but I spend a lot of time there mostly because it can be used in an historical context. For Channel map, other than the battle of Britain, buzz bomb raids, and Dunkirk, there could be some really interesting what-if scenarios IF we had more assets to make it believable. But yeah, my feeling is that they should have made the Channel map more relevant since they were already committing the time and resources to make the map anyways. 

3 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I'd just like to see a bunch of AI aircraft to begin with to flesh out the scenarios, e.g. Hurricane, Spit V, 109E, 110.  

+1!

2 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

F4U Corsair has in progress by Magnitude 3
https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/781-f4u-1d/

F-4 has no a WW2 aircraft, rumors talk about can be make by Heatblur.

Now that would be really welcomed. The models ED makes are sensational. We all know that they can also come with issues, but all-in, it is hard to compare them with anything else if your into attention to detail and clickable cockpits. ED has some really talented 3rd party partners as well, and Heatblur would definitely be at the top of my list. I must have watched at least a hundred hours of F14 YouTubes already, it still just never gets old.

All the third parties seem pretty good actually, but another favorite of mine is AvioDev mostly because of the incredible customer service they offer. If customer service is as important to anyone as it is to me, just have a read through the AvioDev sub-forum to see how good they are at it. I understand their user base are pretty happy with the C-101 as well.

But a WWII anything from Heatblur could only mean one thing... a really interesting addition to DCS World.

Edited by Callsign112

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Brigg said:

all the aircraft relevant to the normandy map

Agreed. For a game all about realism the plane set for the Normandy map still makes no sense. I don’t understand how they came to select them.

need a p51b. A bf109 g6 and Razorback jug. 

• Like 3

I love blowing the crap out of things, so first a P-38, second an A-20G, third a Beaufighter, and either a Typhoon, or Tempest would be nice for ground pounding. Want in one hand, and you know what in the other is parr for the virtual course. 

• Like 2

Sempre Fortis

On 1/9/2022 at 12:55 AM, nick10 said:

This.

On 1/9/2022 at 3:02 AM, 352nd_Hoss said:

I love blowing the crap out of things, so first a P-38, second an A-20G, third a Beaufighter, and either a Typhoon, or Tempest

Also this.

Agreed. For a game all about realism the plane set for the Normandy map still makes no sense. I don’t understand how they came to select them.
Because ED doesn't choose that set. It was taken from a fallen crowdfunding iniciative.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

• Like 2

:megalol:

I know there is another famous/popular simulation out there (I fly that one too) that features this famous aircraft but I would really like the Il-2 Sturmovik. A flying "tank", produced to the fidelity that ED is famous would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

SleepyCanuck :sleep:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]